Yikes this is wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyJC

Just a gal who loves purses, clocks and cats
O.G.
Jul 29, 2008
Just read this article about a lady who bought designer handbags and then returned fakes to whatever store she bought from and then sold the actual designer bag online. I feel so bad for anyone who ended up buying on of her returned fakes thinking it was the real deal. Makes me think of how many other people are out there doing this. How low people are willing to stoop for the mighty dollar :sick:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nese-knock-offs-department-stores-jailed.html

A Thai woman who bought designer handbags online before returning Chinese knock-offs in-store and netting the profits has been jailed in the US. Praepitcha Smatsorabudh, 41, of Arlington, sold the authentic versions of the Gucci, Fendi and Burberry bags on Instagram and eBay for more than $2,000 each. She ran her elaborate scam for years across America, making fraudulent returns at over 60 department store locations in 12 states, according to the US Department of Justice.

In total, her scheme defrauded department stores out of more than $400,000.She was sentenced on Wednesday to 30 months in prison. The conwoman was also sentenced to three years of supervised release, and ordered to pay $403,250.81 in forfeiture and the same amount in restitution to her victims.Originally from Thailand, Smatsorabudh was living in Arlington, Virginia, reportedly on a student visa at the time of her arrest in June.But her Instagram account was awash with pictures of her lavish lifestyle.

When she wasn’t flogging the expensive purses she was posting about sushi, working out at the gym and French-style patisseries. In a rather telling motto, the last post on her social media account says 'what comes easy won't last, what lasts won't come easy'.She pleaded guilty on August 3.Investigators discovered that Smatsorabudh bought handbags every week between late 2014 and the end of 2015.

In an email to one of the knock-off handbag suppliers in September 2014, Smatsorabudh allegedly said: 'The best fake bag I’ve ever seen! Can you send me more ... from this factory. They make bag IMPaCABLE [sic]!!!!' She would usually target T.J. Maxx. Once the retailer worked out the alleged scam, they contacted police. Smatsorabudh was arrested after an undercover Homeland Security officer posed as a buyer online and bought one of the designer bags from her.

Federal authorities raided her home and found 572 handbags, of which some were fake, court documents say. 'What I did was so wrong. I deserve to be in jail,' Smatsorabudh told the court at her sentencing hearing, The Washington Post reported.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.