Yikes! Just bought my first Hermes, did I do the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 3509935 Hi ladies, I'm in Paris for a few days and I certainly hadn't planned to buy a bag but I found this vintage Kelly 32, in box calf and fell in love. It's a little worn in the corners so I plan to take it to Hermes in London when I get back.
I feel really bad, but I paid about £1700 and feel like if I didn't grab it now I would probably never own an Hermes bag as the majority are out of reach for my budget.
Does anyone have any advice on caring for this leather please? And I believe the bag is older than 1970 as no date stamp, but is there any way to tell how old it is?
Just looking at the condition without seeing the interior, it is a great deal !! It is box leather and a spa would give me many more years to come. A lot of bags on eBay in this era and condition are going for $5-6K at least !! Congrats !!

Reactions: QuelleFromage
It's an iconic bag at an amaaaaaaaazing price. Fantastic find. I have this bag in a 28 sellier and I'd buy another in retourné, that's how much I love the bag!

What a beautiful bag! I like my bags less than pristine so worn corners are a badge of honour. Do take it for SPA if the colour is worn though so that the bag is maintained to the best possible standard. After that, so long as you don't abuse it horribly, the bag - and you - should be fine and just look great stepping out.

Reactions: prepster
What a beautiful bag! I like my bags less than pristine so worn corners are a badge of honour. Do take it for SPA if the colour is worn though so that the bag is maintained to the best possible standard. After that, so long as you don't abuse it horribly, the bag - and you - should be fine and just look great stepping out.
Thank you :smile: the leather actually feels great in general, so soft and smooth! It's just all four bottom corners that have lost a little colour and one corner on the top of the flap (which is the most obvious bit). I'd also like to find out about a new tirette and clochet as that is worryingly thin in places and I don't want it to snap.
Other than that I don't really want it too pristine either as I'll just be scared to use it.
She's currently sitting under my seat on the Eurostar heading back to London and is turning out to be a fantastic little bag for travel :smile:

Reactions: prepster
Just looking at the condition without seeing the interior, it is a great deal !! It is box leather and a spa would give me many more years to come. A lot of bags on eBay in this era and condition are going for $5-6K at least !! Congrats !!
Thank you! The interior is actually better than the exterior, I can't believe it is as old as it is!!

View attachment 3509935 Hi ladies, I'm in Paris for a few days and I certainly hadn't planned to buy a bag but I found this vintage Kelly 32, in box calf and fell in love. It's a little worn in the corners so I plan to take it to Hermes in London when I get back.
I feel really bad, but I paid about £1700 and feel like if I didn't grab it now I would probably never own an Hermes bag as the majority are out of reach for my budget.
Does anyone have any advice on caring for this leather please? And I believe the bag is older than 1970 as no date stamp, but is there any way to tell how old it is?
great find!!! i would have grabbed it too. enjoy wearing it and never look back

Seems like boxcalf leather which is an amazing leather for refurbishing! It's a good buy to what you compared it with and one that you will use for a long time and be able to pass on as well. Congratulations on an excellent choice! Enjoy to the fullest!

Isn't it good to read a story of someone with their first bag, pre-loved; an opportunity taken to acquire a beautiful item they might not otherwise have the opportunity to own. A bag that will be appreciated. Not a bag, to join the half a dozen others in different colours that we've been told about, that might be returned because it has the wrong hardware.

It seems you found an amazing deal! Congrats and enjoy her! ( Mind sharing where you found this gem?)
No I don't mind at all! I found her on collector square. They have a show room in Paris that I have visited before and purchased (jewellery) from. I had spotted this bag about a week ago and thought for the price €1900 it would be in a terrible state, but as I had been dragging my poor husband around every department store plus no end of designer boutiques unable to make a decision (nothing in budget fitted the bill apart from the sac du jour which just didn't 'feel' worth the price tag) he suggested we visit and have a look. Well in person she was far more beautiful than I expected. She was a little more than I had planned to spend, but I guess she will hold value more than the alternatives and hopefully last a lot longer too!
I still feel a bit 'yikes' it sounds really silly but Hermes is just a brand I'm concerned will look a bit ott on me. My husband says it is the classiest bag I've ever bought and I know he is right, it's beautiful! I'm just very much a jeans person and I'm hoping most of the people I know won't realise what Kelly is! Totally daft as I walk around with my Chanel boy with no problem. For some reason this just makes me feel self conscious!

Status
Not open for further replies.