Yikes! Interview time, what to wear?

thithi

::pretty:tough::
O.G.
Jun 7, 2006
It's my first interview in five years, and I have no idea what to wear.

It's for a biotech pharmaceutical company in SF, so I'm thinking it needs to be classic and probably conservative. Problem is, I like things with a little flair and a little character. I'd prefer to not wear a jacket, unless you think it's absolutely necessary for an interview. I think matching suits are boring.

What do you suggest I wear? Pants, skirt, dress? Flats, heels? Blouse, sweater, short sleeve or long sleeve? Jacket?!? :wtf:

I want to dress to impress!

Well, truth be told, best to still wear a skirt vs. pants on an interview I think. How about a great shirtdress in a neutral color? Otherwise, skirt suit or even a skirt with a great white shirt and cardigan or a sweater set if you don't want to wear a blazer. If you decide on pants, definitely wear heels with them and it should probably be an actual pants suit with a shirt. Good luck.

Well, truth be told, best to still wear a skirt vs. pants on an interview I think. How about a great shirtdress in a neutral color? Otherwise, skirt suit or even a skirt with a great white shirt and cardigan or a sweater set if you don't want to wear a blazer. If you decide on pants, definitely wear heels with them and it should probably be an actual pants suit with a shirt. Good luck.

I agree with all of her comments. Err on the side of conservative - I think a skirt suit is best, but if you really don't want to wear a jacket (even for one day?) you can try a nice sweater set. You can always be classic in attire and maybe style it up a bit with a fun scarf or fun jewelry.

Thanks! That's good to know, I didn't realize a skirt would be a better option. I could wear a jacket, my hesitation with this is that it's an 8 hour interview so I want to be as comfortable as possible. But if you gals think it's the best idea, then I'll definitely consider it.

Are you serious? It is an eight hour interview??? I think a skirt and a nice button down blouse plus a jacket would be the best bet. You can always take off the jacket after a few hours, or minutes :smile:.

You are going to do GREAT! Good luck and I want to hear all about it when you get back home!

8 hour interview?? Wow, I've never even heard of those. I'd go with what everyone else is suggesting - a smartly tailored skirt suit is very polished looking, and not at all boring if you find the right one! I suggest D&G
Good luck!

Grr... ok ok ok, skirt suit then... any ideas were to find a nice one for a reasonable price? I went to BR and Zara and was not impressed with the selection. I don't want to spend a huge amount on it because I have a wedding dress to buy(eventually) and hate spending that kind of money on something I'll only wear once or twice.

Thanks for the link sailornep5 and the good wishes everyone! I'm feeling more confident now!

I agree with everything that's been suggested. If they're doing 8 hour intereviews, they're probably somewhat conservative. I've done a couple 8hr interviews. All of my suits are Jcrew or BR and worked well. If you do go with a button down, which I think you should, I would get a wrinkle free shirt. You can get Brooks Brothers for pretty cheap at their outlets. I have several from Brooks Brothers and I still looked polished at the end of the day. I would also wear lower heels that you are comfortable, I assume that a day long interview will include lunch and you never know how far you'll have to wall. I would spice it up with a fun scarf or jewelry. Good luck!

Yep, I agree a skirt is best. If/when you are called back for a 2nd interview you can switch to nice slacks. I would suggest a nice jacket or blazer if you're not wearing a matching suit, or a sweater set is good too. You really need 'presence' and authority that that extra layer provides in an interview.

It is best to err on the conservative side. once you get the job you can express yourself with your true flair as appropriate to the job. For now, you want them to notice and remember YOU and your talents, rather than be "that girl with the hot pink pumps" or "that girl with the huge earrings."

Good luck!!

^ LOL, I guess you're right. It's only 1 day that I'd have to dress up like that.

OK, well I'm off to find an outfit, hopefully I'll find something this weekend! I'll focus on jacket skirt suits, but keep my options open for a nice sweater set too. You ladies are the best!