Yet MORE wedding DRAMA!

Just to add my two cents' worth: my son is getting married in a few weeks, so I have spent a LOT of time researching wedding etiquette. There is only ONE rule that is inviolate: whatever the bride and groom want, they get. Period. End of story. If you want donations sent to poisonous tree frogs in Africa, that's what you get. If you want to dress like baboons and eat bananas instead of cake, you get to do that and your parents don't get to say a darned thing.

As a parent, I have learned it's REALLY hard to keep our mouths shut -- these are our little darlings and we want their day to be perfect. Nonetheless, it's your wedding, and you win.

Yes, there is a 'whatever the couple wants, the couple gets' mentality, but remember: you can't TELL guests what to get you.

(It WOULD be nice to get some things for the house, so maybe you should register, but maybe on the registry you might want to mention a "in lieu of gifts" option.)

caitlin1214 said:
Yes, there is a 'whatever the couple wants, the couple gets' mentality, but remember: you can't TELL guests what to get you.

(It WOULD be nice to get some things for the house, so maybe you should register, but maybe on the registry you might want to mention a "in lieu of gifts" option.)

While there is no requirement whatsoever to give a gift at all...in this instance the couple does NOT want gifts. They want whatever money someone MIGHT have spent on a gift to go to a charity.

I don't know why any guest would want to disrespect that.