Yet Another Unconfirmed Address Thread

restricter

Beware the BIN Paw
O.G.
Apr 25, 2007
Hi. I sold an item last Friday and received this e-mail yesterday: "im sorry ive been sick i take chemo i will visa payment tues sorry i hope i didnt mess anything up thank you so much."

I recognized that as a red flag, thanks to so many of your helpful posts but I told her Tuesday would be fine.

Okay, today is Tuesday and she sent me a payment, followed by another e-mail asking me to send it to an address which is not her confirmed PP addy. Obviously, that's not going to happen.

I sent her a response telling her that I don't send to unconfirmed addresses. However, my auction states that I ship within 24 hours of receipt of payment.

Now what do I do?

Refund her money?
Contact evilbay?

All this over a stupid $100 item.

oh i dont know lol, i have sent an item to a lady at a different address once the item was also around $100, i was sure to send it via registered post with signature on delivery to confim i had no probs with this but it was a one off and am lucky it all worked out well, i hope some others can help more than me

Don't ship, and yes contact Ebay ond/or PP.
How much was the item?

Don't worry about the fact that you state "ship in 24 hrs". Does your auction also state "only ship to confirmed PP address"? You MUST ship to the address on the PP transaction page.

Don't ship, and yes contact Ebay ond/or PP.
How much was the item?

Don't worry about the fact that you state "ship in 24 hrs". Does your auction also state "only ship to confirmed PP address"? You MUST ship to the address on the PP transaction page.

Ack, forgot to put that in and the buyer just responded "that address i gave you is where all my ebay comes to."

I am going to try one more time with her, either she updates her PayPal or I cancel the transaction. The item came out to $82.99.

Thanks, Ellie Mae.

Ack, forgot to put that in and the buyer just responded "that address i gave you is where all my ebay comes to."

I am going to try one more time with her, either she updates her PayPal or I cancel the transaction. The item came out to $82.99.

Thanks, Ellie Mae.

Does not matter. Tell her that per PP regs, you can ONLY ship to the address on the PP transaction page since you paid w/ PP. Then CALL ebay and/or and advise them that she is giving you an address different than on file w/ PP.
Just explain calmly to her that it's a PP rule, and she really needs to have the same addy w/ PP as she does w/ Ebay.

Thanks, Ellie Mae. I called eBay and was advised to contact the buyer again and tell her that eBay told me not to ship to an unconfirmed address. I did that and offered the buyer two options: 1) update her address in PP or 2) accept a refund and let me cancel the transaction.

It sounds reasonable, right? How much do you want to bet she smacks me with negative feedback for this?

Thanks, Ellie Mae. I called eBay and was advised to contact the buyer again and tell her that eBay told me not to ship to an unconfirmed address. I did that and offered the buyer two options: 1) update her address in PP or 2) accept a refund and let me cancel the transaction.

It sounds reasonable, right? How much do you want to bet she smacks me with negative feedback for this?

IF she leaves a neg, call Ebay back.

One other thing...IF the buyer wishes to proceed w/ her purchase AS-IS, then you ship to the address on the PP transaction page. Simple as that.
HOWEVER....if buyer wants to update/change her PP address, then the seller needs to REFUND the buyer, have her update the PP address, CONFIRM the new address, and then RE-PAY. Because the PP transaction page MUST have the address to which you are going to ship. And right now it does not, so essentially she has to re-pay and create a new PP transaction page w/ the updated address. You might confirm this procedure w/ PP, but last I knew, this was the procedure that needed to take place to update the address on the transaction page.
Make sense??

Yep, ITA with Ellie Mae.........if anything went awry, even if you got a signature at the incorrect PP addy she wants you to send to.......you would be out the money if she wanted to be shady and file a dispute.

When I started selling on eBay, I was so naive and I sent to unconfirmed addresses as buyers' request several times. I was so lucky that I didn't have any problems.
Then I've leaned so much here. "Always send to confirmed address" is basic rule for sellers.

Sorry that it's a little off topic.. while ago, I saw that my office address had become "confirmed" which is not even my billing address. I had been using this as the shipping address sometimes before that, without knowing sellers had no protection.... So right now, I have two confirmed addresses which are my home in Brooklyn and office in Manhattan. I'm just wondering how an non-billing address becomes confirmed one?

Last edited:
When I started selling on eBay, I was so naive and I sent to unconfirmed addresses as buyers requested several times. I was so lucky that I didn't have any problems.
Then I leaned so much here. "Always send to confirmed address" is basic rule for sellers.

Sorry that it a little off topic.. while ago, I saw that my office address had become "confirmed" which is not even my billing address. I had been using as the shipping address sometimes before that, without knowing sellers had no protection.... So right now, I have two confirmed addresses which are my home in Brooklyn and office in Manhattan. I'm just wondering how an non-billing address becomes confirmed one?

I honestly do not remember, but my home & office are also confirmed addresses. HOW it became so, I do not remember, but it IS possible.
AND it's a good idea if someone is on staff all day to sign for/receive parcels. Simplifies my life.

In a nutshell, buyers outside of the U.S., Canada and the UK cannot have confirmed addresses. However, if you ship to the address on the PayPal transaction page, you are likely to be covered. I'm not sure what the restrictions are, but there are a few as far as I know, for instance, if you have very low feedback, you might not be covered by seller protection outside the U.S. and Canada...again, I'm not sure. If your buyer is in the U.S., it is up to her/him to jump through the necessary hoops to satisfy PayPal's requirements for a confirmed address, and terms & conditions in your listing.

Last edited: