Yet Another Unconfirmed Address Thread

^ Good point Bistuff--that's true. If the buyer is outside the U.S., there's a good chance the address won't be confirmed. In any case, no matter where the seller and buyer are, I think the seller should always make sure she/he knows what kind of protection, if any, he/she is eligible for before completing a transaction.

When I started selling on eBay, I was so naive and I sent to unconfirmed addresses as buyers' request several times. I was so lucky that I didn't have any problems.
Then I've leaned so much here. "Always send to confirmed address" is basic rule for sellers.

Sorry that it's a little off topic.. while ago, I saw that my office address had become "confirmed" which is not even my billing address. I had been using this as the shipping address sometimes before that, without knowing sellers had no protection.... So right now, I have two confirmed addresses which are my home in Brooklyn and office in Manhattan. I'm just wondering how an non-billing address becomes confirmed one?
I noticed this too, It would be interesting to know the answer, but I doubt you would ever get any sense from ebay if you asked them

^ Good point Bistuff--that's true. If the buyer is outside the U.S., there's a good chance the address won't be confirmed. In any case, no matter where the seller and buyer are, I think the seller should always make sure she/he knows what kind of protection, if any, he/she is eligible for before completing a transaction.

I'm a buyer, I didn't have any problems yet, I always pay right away and believe in good communication. I'm not in the U.S. so I always ask the seller nicely to ship to a certain address and they do. First of all, in order for an address to be confirmed it should be the same as the one you receive your CC reports to. But that's a problem for me - I'm registered at an address in another town and I work in the city and live in a rented apartment. So it's more convenient for me to have my items shipped to that address in the city. Sometimes I have items shipped to my friend or my mom if I'm on a trip. Like I said - it always arrived. So you see, it's not always that simple...

it just happened to me I lost the bracelet the money for it and an additional 10 dollar settlment fee I had proof it was sent to the person as she used her real name on her etsy and ebay transactions.A google search showed her info but paypal still closed the case

It must be the holiday season. The scammers and annoying buyers are popping up out of the woodwork. I just did three transactions and every single one had some kind of problem. Next time, I feel like selling on eBay I'm going to find this thread, read it and donate to Goodwill instead.

It must be the holiday season. The scammers and annoying buyers are popping up out of the woodwork. I just did three transactions and every single one had some kind of problem. Next time, I feel like selling on eBay I'm going to find this thread, read it and donate to Goodwill instead.

so sorry to hear that. were they international? what happened?

While this is reasonable I send items all the time where the ship address doesn't match the CC address and haven't had a problem.

One thing you neglected to say is what's the buyers rating? If she has a rating in good standing you should be ok.

Thanks, Ellie Mae. I called eBay and was advised to contact the buyer again and tell her that eBay told me not to ship to an unconfirmed address. I did that and offered the buyer two options: 1) update her address in PP or 2) accept a refund and let me cancel the transaction.

It sounds reasonable, right? How much do you want to bet she smacks me with negative feedback for this?

so sorry to hear that. were they international? what happened?

I refuse -- absolutely refuse -- to deal with international buyers given the nightmare stories I read about here.

No, I had the unconfirmed address problem, a buyer who couldn't figure out how to open a handbag she bought (push the lock IN), and now one who is asking authentication questions AFTER receiving the item. Add to this the fact one of them sent a payment in the middle of the night and expected the package to go out in the morning. I managed to do it, but when I leave for work the local post office isn't even open yet. I had to drag that package all the way to work and mail it from near my office. This, of course, is one of the complainers.

The lock person got a small refund to get the lock oiled or whatever at the shoemaker. The unconfirmed address person decided she wanted her package sent to her confirmed address. Hopefully, Authentication Girl goes to the Authenticate This! thread as I recommended and we'll both be able to sleep nights. If not, I'll refund her money (less shipping) and give the bag to a friend as a part of a Christmas present. Still, it's aggravating.

I don't know how people make a living doing this. I had one bidderer nag me on a daily basis about a pair of shoes I was selling. She had me take about 30 more photos, measure the things every which way and then never bid on the auction BUT complained because the auction ended before she remembered to place her bid. The buyer who won that auction was actually decent. Demanding but generally decent.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just thanking goodness that I'm not experiencing half of what some of you have.

Last edited:
It's fine, just vent. I'm an international buyer, but like I said, I never had any problems and the sellers were always very happy. I heard horrible stories about the buyers from the States, so I think it's all relative - there are idiots all over the world. Some buyers really act like spoiled brats though, you have every right to be upset.
I know sellers are very vulnerable on ebay. That's why I always try my best so that the transaction goes well for both sides. People should put themselves in other people's shoes more often.

It's fine, just vent. I'm an international buyer, but like I said, I never had any problems and the sellers were always very happy. I heard horrible stories about the buyers from the States, so I think it's all relative - there are idiots all over the world. Some buyers really act like spoiled brats though, you have every right to be upset.
I know sellers are very vulnerable on ebay. That's why I always try my best so that the transaction goes well for both sides. People should put themselves in other people's shoes more often.

As long as I'm venting, may I add one more thing?

I had a bidder ask me if I still had the receipt for the bag, which store I bought it from and whether it still smelled new. Okay, I can understand wanting a copy of the receipt for warranty purposes and even the location of the boutique. But when you add in the new bag smell question, the whole thing sounded kind of fishy to me.

As for Bonanzle, am I the only one who got offers on there that were outside the realm of reality? Seriously. $200 for a $1400 handbag that still has the tags on it? And that offer included shipping because the person lives in the same state.

I am taking an eBay selling hiatus for a while.

As long as I'm venting, may I add one more thing?

I had a bidder ask me if I still had the receipt for the bag, which store I bought it from and whether it still smelled new. Okay, I can understand wanting a copy of the receipt for warranty purposes and even the location of the boutique. But when you add in the new bag smell question, the whole thing sounded kind of fishy to me.

As for Bonanzle, am I the only one who got offers on there that were outside the realm of reality? Seriously. $200 for a $1400 handbag that still has the tags on it? And that offer included shipping because the person lives in the same state.

I am taking an eBay selling hiatus for a while.

I think there's nothing wrong with the question of smell. People are often very sensitive when it comes to that, so I think it's fair to ask that before they bid/buy. When buying something used it's tricky. I've seen a lot of negative feedbacks left because of the smell, and that is something you can't capture in the photo, so I think it's ok to ask. I haven't so far, but I saw the condition of the bags from the photo and I trusted the seller, and all my bags smell really nice and leathery. :smile:

As for the ridiculous offers - I don't know what to tell you. Those people are not serious buyers obviously. They're just messing with you, maybe they think it will work. :shrugs:

Common sense is quite rare. There are many people who are spoiled, irrational brats with a huge sense of entitlement, this will translate into them being buyers and sellers who are spoiled, irrational brats with a huge sense of entitlement. You can avoid those sellers by reading their listings and how they answer questions, but with buyers you can't tell often until they've committed to buying/bought the item and problems start showing up. After that it can be conflict resolution with a sociopath - you just can't win; even worse if the other party knows how to screw with PayPal's and ebay's rules.

Last edited:
I think there's nothing wrong with the question of smell. People are often very sensitive when it comes to that, so I think it's fair to ask that before they bid/buy. When buying something used it's tricky. I've seen a lot of negative feedbacks left because of the smell, and that is something you can't capture in the photo, so I think it's ok to ask. I haven't so far, but I saw the condition of the bags from the photo and I trusted the seller, and all my bags smell really nice and leathery. :smile:

As for the ridiculous offers - I don't know what to tell you. Those people are not serious buyers obviously. They're just messing with you, maybe they think it will work. :shrugs:

Maybe it's me but receipt + location where I bought it + new bag smell = fraud to me. It seemed to me as if this person wanted to take the bag back, claim it was a gift and get a store credit for the original retail price of the bag. It was an LV so the places where it could be returned are kind of limited. I work for a bank and there was something that said scam/identity theft about the whole thing.

Besides, her question wasn't "does the bag have any odors" it was "does it still smell new?"

Bitstuff - ITA.

Maybe it's me but receipt + location where I bought it + new bag smell = fraud to me. It seemed to me as if this person wanted to take the bag back, claim it was a gift and get a store credit for the original retail price of the bag. It was an LV so the places where it could be returned are kind of limited. I work for a bank and there was something that said scam/identity theft about the whole thing.

Besides, her question wasn't "does the bag have any odors" it was "does it still smell new?"

Bitstuff - ITA.

omg I wouldn't even think of that! :wtf:

When I was first starting on ebay, I asked one seller (a very reputable one, but I didn't know that then, I was a newbie :biggrin:) where they bought the bag, because I read in one guide it's good to ask that, because some people don't know that for instant LV doesn't have an outlet etc., so you might "catch" them lying. I know today that asking a seller where they bought the bag makes absolutely no sense, because if they want to trick you they will, they will give you the "right" info, fake the receipt or use the original one to sell a fake bag etc., so I never ask.

You are right, I understand now. It's good that you listen to your instincts. I can't believe what some people are willing to do...

Last edited:
omg I wouldn't even think of that! :wtf:

When I was first starting on ebay, I asked one seller (a very reputable one, but I didn't know that then, I was a newbie :biggrin:) where they bought the bag, because I read in one guide it's good to ask that, because some people don't know that for instant LV doesn't have an outlet etc., so you might "catch" them lying. I know today that asking a seller where they bought the bag makes absolutely no sense, because if they want to trick you they will, they will give you the "right" info, fake the receipt or use the original one to sell a fake bag etc., so I never ask.

You are right, I understand now. It's good that you listen to your instincts. I can't believe what some people are willing to do...

That's the great part about this forum. We exchange ideas. I learned about not shipping to unconfirmed addresses, the importance of using tracking and signature confirmation always, security tags and so much more. It's nice to be able to share something useful for a change.