Yellowing patent leather? HELP!

BamaNC

Jan 29, 2008
I got my Shadow Oxford in the mail (bought on ebay) - hooray! However, it has a yellow mark on the edge of one of the gray straps - on the front, of course. :crybaby:
At first I thought it was the leather yellowing from age (even though it is new, maybe sitting around waiting to be bought a while?). Now I'm wondering if it is a mark from a highlighter or something of the like because it is just so bright yellow. I will take pictures and post them tonight when I get home from work, but it is bothering me so much that I spent $400 on this bag to see this flaw right away!
Has anyone had the patent leather handles yellow on their bags? Has anyone tried to clean a mark or stain from the leather with success (or disaster)?

Any other advice? Send it back? Keep it and deal with it?
Ask seller to refund cost of a professional cleaning?:shrugs:

wow I'm so sorry to hear that. I just checked my shadow mandeville and all I see is where the handle is I guess melted together? it is a little yellow/greenish gray. I haven't used it alot and it was always like that since I got it new from nordstroms. I don't see it anywhere else on the straps. It's not very noticeable and it isn't very bright so I'm not sure if it's the same sort of thing. I'd have to see your pictures..

ugh.. sorry to hear that.. imma check my shadow mandeville as well later when i get home from work.. i'll report back.. contact the seller and tell them your concern.. if you love the bag and you think it can be fix, ask for partial refund (cost of repairing)..

probably color transfer, Patent leather is known to pick up the color of whatever it comes in contact with, it could have been pressed up against something yellow that transfered onto the strap!

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions so far. I'm having trouble getting a clear photo, but will attach what I have so far if it helps anyone give a guess. I noticed one of the back straps have the same problem and am waiting to hear back from the seller.

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 392
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 390
  • back1.jpg
    back1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 397
Good news guys! I heard back from the seller and she will pay to have the straps cleaned if they can be cleaned or I can send the bag back for a full refund. Now to decide what to do... I didn't make it to the leather repair shop today so I guess I'll go tomorrow and see what "my guy" tells me about the stains.

yes,
just bring it to the leather repair shop and see what they say and ask for the estimate.. and get back to the seller asap.. IMHO, i think if it can be clean,it's worth to keep.. but it's all your decision.. :yes:

i had an experience like this.. i bought a bag where the stitching come undone.. and they didn't mention it so i contact them and gave them the estimate cost of repair after i took the bag to a shoe repair shop.. i paid $30 for the repair and they refund me $30.. :tup:

Apple care is wonderful! A bit of their cleaner and the yellow marks came off in about 20 seconds. Whew! :sweatdrop:
So maybe I panicked too quickly... back now to just being super excited about my new l.a.m.b.! Pictures will come later today in the "new purchase" thread. Thanks for the help and advice everyone.