Yellow Sapphire...I had no idea!

guccimamma

guccimamma
Aug 8, 2006
the afternoon pick up at my child's school is like a fashion show

i have been ogling this woman's ring from afar for a couple of years...now her son is in my daughter's class, so we are volunteering together

i admitted that i had been admiring her ring from afar...for quite some time. i feel like a jewelry stalker.

i thought it was a big yellow diamond, but she said it is a yellow sapphire....and cost a fraction of the price

now, i know nothing about yellow diamonds...or yellow sapphire for that matter. but can a yellow sapphire be as beautiful as a yellow diamond? this was a perfect canary color....with beautiful diamond side stones.

any opinions? does anyone own a yellow sapphire? i am in love.

Yellow Sapphires are gorgeous. Definitely not as sparling as any diamond yellow or white..or otherwise. But a very close second...

I looove yellow and pink sapphires so much.

They are definitely pretty....I agree with you! I saw one in a jewelery store a few months ago and I can't get it out of my head. I don't remember asking the price, though.

I don't have yellow, but I have pink diamonds and sapphires.

Sometimes people mistake the sapphires as diamonds. And I've seen sapphires that were as expensive as the diamonds.

One of the SA's at a store I go to often, is always saying how she loves my ring. And one day I didn't wear it and she asked where was my ring. She even told my DH that is how she met me, complimenting me on my ring. He said she was like a stalker. LOL

If you like it, you should get it.

Last edited:
The cost is in proportion to the rarity... Diamonds are rarer than yellow sapphires. Althought they look the same, the point is in the mental gratification that u get from owning a diamond vs a yellow sapphire. get wht i mean?

Althought they look the same,
the do not! sorry but i while i adore both this has to be said while a sapphire is indeed beautiful and shiny it IS different than a fancy colored diamond. just due to the physical options of a diamond the diamand will sparkle and has the "inner fire" that sapphire simply has not.
but as i said yellow sapphires are a beauty in their own right!
alos yellow and pink sapphires are cheaper then blue sapphires (of course all factors equal) and a fine blue sapphire can even be more valuable then a white diamond etc.

just wanted to clarify and again sapphires (all colors )are gorgy just different :smile:

I don't think they look the same either. I think people that aren't familiar with coloured diamonds tend to mistake them for sapphires.

I have blue sapphires and my pink sapphires were more expensive.

i think they look similar to me...because i have no knowledge of yellow diamonds, or their properties...so i admit i am easily fooled.

but it sure is pretty with the diamond sidestones in the platinum setting...looks like a big ole yellow diamond to my inexperienced eyes!

now, just because i am a jewelery stalker....i am not dangerous! i just like to look, more like a peeper

I love yellow sapphires. They're so bright and cheerful and with diamond shoulders (maybe a tapered baguette or a bullet shape) a large yellow sapphire set in platinum or white gold would look stunning!

Oddly I'm not a fan of the blue sapphire - probably because they tend to be that very dark blue and I'm more into an aquamarine or blue topaz shade...mmmm.

With pink stones, I love a pink diamond (really, who doesn't?) but am not so keen on pink sapphires? Weird, huh? I love morganite, but my jeweller keeps telling me that it's too soft a gem to put in a ring. Darn it...