Yay, The Hummingbirds Are Back!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. We keep 2 hummingbird feeders right by our big kitchen window. We use a nectar mix called 1st Nature, they LOVE it. I've used other mixes, and sugar water, and more birds come to this mix. I'm not sure why, it has to be something they make the nectar with. They're a lot of fun to watch. It makes me sad in the fall when they leave. It'll be a little while before they come here, I think.

2. I saw a feeder at WalMart today called squirrel-be-gone that uses a pretty clever idea. The feeding ports are on springs. Birds can feed on them but if a squirrel climbs down his weight pulls the ports down over the seed holes and he can't eat. About $20, they also had them at Home Depot.

3. I love hummingbirds but they don't show up at my house till June.I love birdwatching in the early morning while having my first cup of coffee.I have seven birdhouses set up in the back yard and five are full of birdy eggs already.I spend a bundle on birdseeds,suet and nut blends but it's well worth the cost.

Thought I'd share some of my backyard visitors ;).

Redheaded Woodpecker
    [​IMG]

Ladderback Red Bellied Woodpecker
    [​IMG]

Northern Flicker
    [​IMG]

Male Downey Woodpecker
    [​IMG]

Female Downey Woodpecker

[​IMG]

Close-Up Male Downey Woodpecker
    [​IMG]

Close-Up Northern Flicker
    [​IMG]

4. OOH! Beautiful birds! I have been doing a butterfly and hummingbird garden for the past few years. I always put out suet for the birds, but this year I bought birdfeeders. I ussually have a lot of birds because I live on a wooded lot out in the sticks, I just have to figure out what they are.

Beautiful pictures!

5. We bought a book called Birds of Atlanta with lots of big pictures to help us identify the different ones we spot, they probably have a similar book for every part of the country.

6. A few more of my feathered friends!

Carolina Wren
    [​IMG]

Mockingbird
    [​IMG]

Male Cardinal
    [​IMG]

Male Eastern Bluebird
    [​IMG]

Titmouse enjoys a bit of sun!
    [​IMG]

White -breasted Nuthatch set up the nesting box.The eggs have been laid and the waiting has begun.
    [​IMG]

Robins nest & 3 eggs.
    [​IMG]
    Keeping the eggs warm.
    [​IMG]

7. Kpassa,Forgive me for highjacking your Hummingbird topic,when anyone mentions birds of any kind I tend to get overly excited :shame:.
    If you like I'll try and remove the birdy pics,just say the word.

8. I love this thread. Our hummingbirds are finding their way back now too. I'll have to sneak their pictures. I have three feeders and I usually only fill them half way twice a week. The other birds drain the regular bird feeders in about two days so we bought two more bird feeders. We have birds EVERYWHERE!

9. No way, your pics are great!!

10. Oh my! The pics are great!

Thanks Kpassa! I am going to look for a FL bird book!