Yay eBay. eBay found in our favour.

Thank you everyone for your comments. It's been a great discussion to wake up to.

It does highlight the futility of either party to a case settled by eBay being able to leave feedback. Neither party should be able to have the last word when eBay has settled it.

DH had already left positive feedback after paying. I agree that building feedback in advance is perhaps risky, but we have found that if we don't leave it in advance, we get way less. As I'm in the TRS program, but DH isn't, I want all the feedback I can get.

So we do make use of both options,
  1. reply to feedback received which shows up on our feedback page and
  2. followup to feedback left which will automatically show up on her feedback page

There are only 80 characters to play with in each, so BBs comments are good, but will blow the character count.

So far, he hasn't written anything. No matter what he does, she is going to fire back - which only makes it more interesting to read and more important that there is a record that shows the facts.

On the follow up to the nice feedback he left earlier, I wanted to say

"Wish List: new glasses; intensive reading course & an anger management book?"
DH and my kids said I was being funny, but vindictive. But it cannot be construed as a false positive. So any more suggestions here would be welcome.

In reply to the negative, we have been talking along the lines of

"I'm shocked! This bag needs repairs!" ("repair" in both title & description). Which makes it clear that it's a failure of the buyer to read the description. What do you think of this one?

The other option, is that a short summary on the about me page and directing readers to that via the feedback for the full story. What's the likelihood that this would earn some kind of policy violation? Anyone tried this? Does this seem extra mean?

ME page comments always come off like a rant, I wouldn't do it.

Stick to a response on the feedback itself. I would make reference to repairs mentioned in title and description, still offered refund, buyer refused.

IMO, people who take the high road in the feedback end up looking better than the whiners. The feedback is part of your permanent history whereas the listing will disappear soon. You only have so many words you can use in the reply and they have to stand on their own. You don't want to come across as protesting too much. Again IMO.

I'm still saying you should go with something gentle. Not an apology but perhaps a regret that things didn't turn out well.

What really annoys me as well, having examined the DSR reports is that she left a 3 for shipping time (it was in her hands in the USA within 4 days of her paying for it) and 3 for shipping fees - she paid US$20 and we paid JPY2200 to ship it which is US$28.40

Her leaving 1's for conditions and communication were predictable because she was annoyed, but she's also not rational.

I hear what you are saying about keep it pleasant. DH is now foaming at the mouth over this woman. And she's not even worth the trouble.

What really annoys me as well, having examined the DSR reports is that she left a 3 for shipping time (it was in her hands in the USA within 4 days of her paying for it) and 3 for shipping fees - she paid US$20 and we paid JPY2200 to ship it which is US$28.40

Her leaving 1's for conditions and communication were predictable because she was annoyed, but she's also not rational.

I hear what you are saying about keep it pleasant. DH is now foaming at the mouth over this woman. And she's not even worth the trouble.
When people will look at the negative feedback on Toolhaus, your answer will define you for a long time. You might lose future clients because of the feedback left for this horrible transaction.
If you leave it alone or perhaps leave a short statement, it reflects well on you.
This crazy buyer made you lose enough time and money. Don't give her the opportunity to keep it going.
Furthermore, It might turn into a pi$$ing contest. She will continue to harass you.
Just my opinion.:smile:

Honestly, if I see a negative in a seller's feedback I normally take it with a grain of salt and look at their feedback as a whole, not just that one comment. The fact that the title of the auction said the bag needed repairs would be obvious enough for me. Also that your buyer can't spell the word "too." LOL