Y'all Cursed Me!

I don't think the OP meant any harm by her comment - as she is the same race, I think, as the person she was talking about. I think what she meant was an impression she had of the person. I don't think she meant any racist undertones - she was just describing the person. I sometimes describe someone and mention that they are white (as I am) and don't mean anything by it - just a description. I agree it probably didn't need to be in the post, but I sure don't think the OP meant anything by it - surely not derrogatory to the race in general - since if she did she would be derrogatory to herself, if that makes sense. I think sometimes we tend to be a little sensitive (sometimes rightly so), but sometimes we see something where there really isn't anything bad there.

I just didn't want to see this thread deteriorate into something based on race since I didn't see that . . .

Maybe the lady in the salon just got back from New York and saw the LV Boutique and admired the handbags. She may have been trying to start a conversation and you took it the wrong way. She probably didn't mean to offend you.

Are you in Baltimore? I lived there for several years. My daughter is flying up Tueday for the holidays. Her father and his family still live there.

I still go up about once a year to visit and then do the Ocean City thing for about a week.

I don't think the OP meant any harm by her comment - as she is the same race, I think, as the person she was talking about. I think what she meant was an impression she had of the person. I don't think she meant any racist undertones - she was just describing the person. I sometimes describe someone and mention that they are white (as I am) and don't mean anything by it - just a description. I agree it probably didn't need to be in the post, but I sure don't think the OP meant anything by it - surely not derrogatory to the race in general - since if she did she would be derrogatory to herself, if that makes sense. I think sometimes we tend to be a little sensitive (sometimes rightly so), but sometimes we see something where there really isn't anything bad there.

I just didn't want to see this thread deteriorate into something based on race since I didn't see that . . .

Just b/c she is the same race doesn't mean it's right. I am also the same race and *I* was offended.

I dont mean to offend anyone but...

I dont get why alot of ladies get really annoyed to such high degree when it comes to others asking about fake or real.....

I find that alot of ladies find the cost of "just a bag" like LVs.... kind of amusing to them and jump out with such questions.....I do understand the sensitivity regarding authenticity...but I dont think that theres any harm in that question...especially when there are alot of fakes out there.......

When you mention $$$ about her posession.....I thought that it was a harsh judgment vs. a harmless comment...Just my 2 cents.....:sweatdrop:

I agreed it shouldn't have been in the post, but I think it was thoughtless rather than mean-spirited - that's what I meant to say. I agree - I think we need to lighten up. I don't know the OP - but I think it was one of those things that can happen to any of us sometimes where it's like - Oh - oops - opened mouth and put foot inside it. What I meant to say was that I agree - it sounded "off," and could be taken wrong, but I don't know if it was intentional for it to come out so bad, as it did, when she said it, if that makes sense.

Wow, where has this thread gone while I've been shopping for a training potty for my son over the weekend?!? :roflmfao:

Allow me to clarify a few things. One, at the hair salon I go to, everyone is black, including the stylist. Second, I am also black (and half Puerto Rican, although that doesn't make my hair texture any more manageable, lol.) Third, I have never seen an an authentic LV while at the salon - and my mother and I have been going to this stylist for at least 10 years. With that being said, the clients sort of fall into the same mold (my mom included): primarily middle-aged working class African American women who arrive in nice office attire, but nothing very high end. (NOTE: As a preggo, I don't come in anything designer or fantastic myself, other than my LV.)

Now, I think I've mentioned before that I live in a predominately African American city and that I very rarely - if ever - see an authentic LV, on any race. I don't think the woman in the salon was trying to offend me. I just think that because there are no high end stores in Baltimore or the immediate surrounding areas, she probably doesn't even realize Louis Vuitton is a legitimate brand outside of bootlegs and therefore assumed mine was from New York - since there are always tons of bus trips here for people to go there, although they rarely if ever go to any of the more ritzy areas to shop - primarily, because a lot of the people who go can't afford to shop on 5th Avenue. My mom has been on a couple of each and while she enjoys looking at the stuff in the more expensive areas, she and the other riders have more fun in the cheesier, less expensive ones because they can buy more. (Although my mom has never come home with a sack of fake Louis Vuitton, lol.)

Does any of this make my initial comments less...harsh to some?

Maybe the lady in the salon just got back from New York and saw the LV Boutique and admired the handbags. She may have been trying to start a conversation and you took it the wrong way. She probably didn't mean to offend you.

Are you in Baltimore? I lived there for several years. My daughter is flying up Tueday for the holidays. Her father and his family still live there.

I still go up about once a year to visit and then do the Ocean City thing for about a week.
Yes, I live in Owings Mills, but work in the heart of downtown Baltimore. ;)

And I would hope I didn't offend the lady by simply smiling and saying, "Actually, I bought it at Louis Vuitton." I think if I had, my mother would have kicked my teeth out. :yucky:

I didn't find it offensive; I think our society, unfortunately, is still at the point that if race is mentioned, people read all sorts of things into things. It's so sad. I wish it wasn't that way. I understood where you were coming from. I'm usually careful not to mention race in internet forums because if you're not there with the person when you're talking, things can get miscontrued. I wish our society was moving forward in that way!

charlestonmom, I think you're right - when I shared this story with my son's godmother (also black), she said, "As if your high yellow bourgeoise a** would carry fake Louis Vuitton!" Meaning that because she is familiar with our environment and based on the place I told her I was when I was asked about my bag, she automatically deducted the woman was black. This isn't because black women can't afford Louis Vuitton or only carry counterfeits - it's because in our area, there are simply more black people and more fake bags than a lot of others.

Now, we could get into why my demeanor and complexion would automatically mean I'm "above" carrying counterfeit Louis Vuitton in her eyes, but that's for another forum. :wlae:

Yes, I live in Owings Mills, but work in the heart of downtown Baltimore. ;)

And I would hope I didn't offend the lady by simply smiling and saying, "Actually, I bought it at Louis Vuitton." I think if I had, my mother would have kicked my teeth out. :yucky:

I'm familiar with Owings Mills. I have lived in Essex, Chase and Towson. My daughter's family is still in Essex, Towson, Hampden and O.C. I used to work at Towson Town Center and Whitemarsh Mall. It's a small world....
:flowers:

Wow, where has this thread gone while I've been shopping for a training potty for my son over the weekend?!? :roflmfao:

Allow me to clarify a few things. One, at the hair salon I go to, everyone is black, including the stylist. Second, I am also black (and half Puerto Rican, although that doesn't make my hair texture any more manageable, lol.) Third, I have never seen an an authentic LV while at the salon - and my mother and I have been going to this stylist for at least 10 years. With that being said, the clients sort of fall into the same mold (my mom included): primarily middle-aged working class African American women who arrive in nice office attire, but nothing very high end. (NOTE: As a preggo, I don't come in anything designer or fantastic myself, other than my LV.)

Now, I think I've mentioned before that I live in a predominately African American city and that I very rarely - if ever - see an authentic LV, on any race. I don't think the woman in the salon was trying to offend me. I just think that because there are no high end stores in Baltimore or the immediate surrounding areas, she probably doesn't even realize Louis Vuitton is a legitimate brand outside of bootlegs and therefore assumed mine was from New York - since there are always tons of bus trips here for people to go there, although they rarely if ever go to any of the more ritzy areas to shop - primarily, because a lot of the people who go can't afford to shop on 5th Avenue. My mom has been on a couple of each and while she enjoys looking at the stuff in the more expensive areas, she and the other riders have more fun in the cheesier, less expensive ones because they can buy more. (Although my mom has never come home with a sack of fake Louis Vuitton, lol.)

Does any of this make my initial comments less...harsh to some?

I myself am working class and part asian and I find the same things. People in my circle do not carry LV so, I guess some people just assume who would spend crazy ass money like that therefore, it must be from Chinatown. They do not even ask so they figure Chinatown or I picked up some fakes when I was in Asia..at least with you they question so they are not sure if it is real or fake...they are guessing....your comments are not too harsh just real...

I'm familiar with Owings Mills. I have lived in Essex, Chase and Towson. My daughter's family is still in Essex, Towson, Hampden and O.C. I used to work at Towson Town Center and Whitemarsh Mall. It's a small world....
:flowers:
Have you seen Towson Town Center lately? It's amazing.

Small world indeed! :P