WWYD - Bonanzle Buyer, Zero Feedback, Ship to Australia???

Oct 7, 2009
Hi Everyone!

So, I'm fairly new to selling on Bonanzle & eBay. I don't offer international shipping, but I got a message on Bonanzle from an interested buyer who is asking if I would ship to Australia if she paid for the extra postage charges. The buyer has zero feedback and just registered on Bonanzle on 7/11/10.

I already explained to her once that I don't ship outside of the US, but she's asking again.

What would you do???

TIA!

I wouldn't really worry about her being a new member, she may have registered specifically to inquire about your item.

So long as you inform her about possible custom fees and the item is insured, I don't see the harm in letting her buy it. I'd probably change your listing to reflect the international shipping terms you agree to just so everything's out there in detail. If you're nervous about it, though, it's obviously up to you to determine if it's worth the stress. I just tend to assume any transaction is a risk and a potential problem and personally it's made me less picky about where I ship.

Hi Everyone!

So, I'm fairly new to selling on Bonanzle & eBay. I don't offer international shipping, but I got a message on Bonanzle from an interested buyer who is asking if I would ship to Australia if she paid for the extra postage charges. The buyer has zero feedback and just registered on Bonanzle on 7/11/10.

I already explained to her once that I don't ship outside of the US, but she's asking again.

What would you do???

TIA!

A person is asking you and asking you again to do something you don't do (per your post). Why have shipping rules that you're not going to follow if someone asks you to break them?

I depends on what you feel comfortable with. Bonanzle doesn't have as far reaching buyer protection as Ebay, however, if she pays by Paypal, she will be entitled to that buyer protection. Is this a high ticket item? If so, I would be sure to declare the correct amount and send it insured with tracking and signature confirmation.

For me, it depends on the value of the item she's interested in. I would ask if she has a history on Ebay and/or places like tPF(although there's no guarantee as all things in life) and I would verify verify verify. But in general, if it's something pricey, I have a rule of not dealing with members with less than 5 feedbacks or has alarming negative feedbacks. I know it seems really unfair to newbies on these sites, but I've been burned and I've got to protect myself when I'm selling.

The buyer won't be entitled to buyer protection because it's an off-eBay transaction. If she doesn't receive the item, she can open an INR dispute under PP's Buyer Complaint Policy, but whether or not the buyer gets her money back depends on what PP can recover from the seller.

IMO, if the OP, or anyone for that matter, is willing to consider and go through international transactions, then, according to the websites' rules, they need to specify that in the listings rather than the contrary. :smile:

It is really too bad that we have all become so gun-shy. I have had brand new Bonanzle buyers that were perfect because they had come there just to buy a bag that I had for sale.

If you decide to do it, send Express with real sell price and not marked as a gift. I have shipped to Australia many times with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks all! It's so hard because I know that if I was in this person's shoes, I would want someone to take the chance if I REALLY wanted something. The item in question is $200 before shipping. I did some quick checking on Fedex and UPS and I think it would cost approximately $150 to ship the bag. I emailed her back that info, so we'll see what she says.

P.S. I did inform the interested party that I would be changing the listing to include the int'l shipping details if it is something we move forward with. I want to ensure that all the details are included in the ad prior to purchase. And, I'm not sure that I'd be willing to make exceptions all the time. I think it would depend on the country.

if you do decide to ship then use usps instead of fedex/ups, it's a lot cheaper. I've sold quite a few to Australian buyers- and they all have been very pleasant and the items have all delivered pretty fast. Also ask her if she has an ebay ID so you can check her feedback. Maybe it's just me, but I found international transaction much more pleasant. I would feel wary of sending something pricey to overseas, but anything less than $200 I would do it.