WTF should I do? my Best freind has changed! (and just got me a fake?!)

People definitely change. And sometimes, you just grow apart, and that is ok! I had one friend in particular whom I was as close as can be. SHe was married, had the better job through law school, got better grades, but she was always a bit jealous of me lifestyle and the attention I got from various people. But as soon as we graduated, and I got married to my long time boyfriend, got a wonderful job which I was happy at (and she was miserable at hers)- she just dropped me like a hot potatoe. And as much as it really hurt when she did that- I understand that we just grew apart, and once she lost her feeling of "superiority" over me, she just lost interest in our friendship.

So as much as it hurts, realize that these things happen and if you truly want to save your friendship, then have a heart to heart. Otherwise, maybe a little distance and time apart will help you both appreciate what you had?

I know how you are feeling, the same thing happened to me and my best friend, we went through so much together, she was like a sister to me when my mum died but then for some unknown reason i started to push her away, to be honest i think that i was becoming this different person who i didnt like after what I had been through and didnt want anyone around me- does that make sense.
anyway, we had a HUGE argument and we havent spoken for about 1year, its sad but her boyfriend and now bestfriend wont let her speak to me. I do believe though that life changes and people are in your life for a reason at a certain time and have a role to play in that time, maybe if you do have some time apart youll become friends again? I still think that maybe my friend and I will be friends again- just not now.

I think that sometimes people personalities evolve over time and how they are now may not be what you look for in a friend per say opposed to how they were back then.. Not saying to drop him but people can change for the worse.

It would be silly to drop him over a fake, but I'd definitely confront him and put all the feelings out there (about the belittling, and all of that). W/ my best friend, i feel like i can tell her the outright, sometimes tactless truth... and vice versa... it's better that way. don't have to candy coat honesty w/ your friend of 12 years.

And if your friend still acts like a jerk, that's telling you something about the friendship... and about the person he's become.

People change - although in this case it sounds like some of this has always been there. I don't know, lying about where you stayed and buying you a fake, sounds like he's unhappy with where he's at in life. Its really hard to give up a long friendship but you could always chill things for awhile.

How old is he? Mid twenties?? Something happens to people when they get out of school, get a real job, and start making money. Sometimes they can't see the forest for the trees. They see the money and the new life they have and they are also trying to keep up with that life and with their job. Friends sometimes do drop by the wayside because there are so many new oppertunities and experiences going on. However, if you have been friends for 12 years and obviously you care very much about this situation you should talk to him straight out about it. Tell him, "this is how I feel" "this is how your making me feel" and "do you want to continue our friendship or not?" You need to get some straight answers from him and then act accordingly. This situations are really hard and I hope it works out for you.

Sometimes life circumstances change things too. I always think of the SATC episode where Carrie was shoe-shamed cause her friend's lifestyle is different from hers and she balked at replacing the full cost of her Manolos.

Despite the fact you've known each other for years, your friendship is at the stage where it either grows and changes with you both, or dissipates entirely.

It sounds like he no longer wants to make the effort on his part, to maintain your closeness, for whatever reason(s) - but a friendship should always be a two way thing - and you're just not getting that right now.

Sometimes, sadly, that's just the way things go - we can't make people be our friends if they're not willing to work with you, rather than against you.

Tell him he has to shape up, or ship out. Move on up hun!:flowers:

Firstly I want to say that no matter what I don't agree with what he is doing. It in my eyes is a form of mental abuse. I had a friend for years who would constant put me down and belittle me. I lost a lot of my self-esteem and had to work hard to gain it back.

You have been friends with him for a very long time. I think that in this kind of circumstance, the answer isn't as easy as it would be if you were only friends for a year or so. My advice to you would be to sit down and talk to him as calmly and nicely as possible. Tell him how much you value his friendship but be honest about the way he is acting. Try to make yourself heard but don't argue - so he can really understand. If he doesn't acknowledge what he's doing, I would give your friendship a little space. Don't feel bad for doing that because he is the one who is missing out, not you.

I'm sorry that you are going through this. In the end things will be ok even if you can't see it now. *hugs*

Thanks for that guys, its really hard i really dotn want to loose him as a freind but he has changed 180 degrees, and i only want to surround myself with positive people, im going to have a long chat to him in a few weeks and see what happens from then, he needs to change (not saying their are no problems on my belhalf) but this friendship need a long look at are hopefully be salvaged

First of all it is not a best way to find a BFF (best friend forever) in school or during the childhood because neither you nor your friend have not yet became complete individuals with mature personality. The things, ideas and values that used to unite you, became irrelevant, and it is absolutely normal. Usually we do part with our school friends because it wasn’t a way of life, a philosophy, views and interests that united us, it was school or some special classes, or the fact that we lived together or near each other. When you grow up and form you future life position, interests and find you way or at least a path to that way you can finally find a friend that will be the one. After the school a have part with all my school friends because it turned out that actually there was no real friendship between us, yet sometimes we do call Each other or go together to restaurants or wherever, from ten people whom I used to call friends, there are only two left, but even these two are not considered as real friend anymore, and I have completely cut off the relations with others because there was no sense.

When you finish your school this understanding will come without saying and you will understand it not from your mind but first from something deed like subconsciousness. Just take you time. The only question I have is why your friend became so crappy? The thing that he speaks about how he spends his money (probably imaginary) has the only idea - to hurt you, he probably jealous of you now even more than ever, because not only you have an easier life because you are still in school and have more time to live as you wish and the society has no influence on you because you don’t have to work to live. But also you probably will go to collage and have a batter life as a result. Not him, so trhis is the only thing he can do for now, soon he will just escape from your friendship.

This is only my opinion, I can be wrong, and probably I am, because I don’t know the situation and you.

Truthfully, I would do him a favor and tell him to get off the horse he is on and seriously consider his behavior towards you and other people. Plus, I would tell him that I didn't care about his trips or his hotels and that he should save that to someone who is interested. And casually mention that the wallet was a fake. And that you deserve to be treated like a human being, not someone that he can call up and expect to run.

If you want to remain his friend, you should definitely say all that stuff nicely. If you don't, then say it sharply and give him the wallet back.