WSJ Article: Michael Kors--Popular or Overexposed?

I can somewhat agree with MK being too popular. Where I live I started to notice a HUGE amount of fakes. Especially crossbody bags with a huge "MK" plate & Hamilton "inspired" bags.
Along with the fakes, I noticed more and more ladies carrying bags and wearing shoes with the signature design and wearing fake MK earrings..even shirts that have the MK "bedazzled" on the front.

Last edited:
I think any brand can suffer from overexposure when they grow too quickly. MK has taken off and they have pursued the growth aggressively. I just wonder if it will backfire if they don't use some restraint during this time. As a long time Coach lover, I have seen that brand rise and fall and it's in a pretty sad place right now (stock position and otherwise). I see A LOT of MK around here now--and we do have an outlet close by--and that's something I didn't notice a couple of years ago. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

MK is a brand that has made it self more accessable to most people due to price. When you add on style, design and quality, I'm not surprised that the brand is popular all the way to Norway. I don't feel that it is overexposed here due to the fact that only high -end stores sell them at full price. You can get them pre-loved for a lower price, but not much to choose from. Hence lots of us buying abroad since handbags/purses doesn't generate customs. Here it it still looked up on as a statement piece.

I am quitting MK by MK for the sole reason everyone has one, especially with the outlet stores they opened up, along with fake ones. Not worth me paying full price and someone carrying a fake or items going on sale.I am switching over to LV,Hermes,Prada, and Dior. Let's see how excellent their craftsmanship is. Keep enjoying your pieces.

I enjoy my MK bags for what they are and not based on their perceived value by shareholders, the media, or by the number of other people who own his bags. I remember reading an article a while back which stated that only 1 in every 9 MK pieces seen in public is authentic and top of the range luxury bags such as LV that figure rises to about 1 in every 49! Sadly, the sheer amount of fakes out there can and will damage a designer's/house's image and "value".

Unfortunately I can't read the article, it looks like it requires a subscription. But, I do agree that MK is most likely going to go the way of Dooney and Bourke, Coach, Juicy Couture, etc. There is always going to be an 'it' brand and right now MK is it. I am sure it will be capitalized on as much as possible until the new 'it' brand comes along. That is not going to stop me from buying their watches, shoes, clothes, or bags for now... but I do believe in a few years it will be usurped by a new popular brand and not be as sought after as it is now.

Interesting! I too was not able to read the whole thing as I don't have a subscription but it's certainly a fascinating topic to think about. It's funny...the other day I rewatched "The Devil Wears Prada" (I absolutely adore that movie!) When I first watched it, I was much younger and didn't pick up too much on the designer name drops (Hermes, Valentino, etc.) But this second time around watching it, I noticed the brand names and things like that much more...like Emily wearing an Hermes collier de chien, bracelet, etc.

One thing that stood out to me the second time viewing this was that "Miranda Priestly" mentioned a Michael Kors fashion show - back when I was younger I picked up more on names like Gucci and maybe like... Dior in this movie, but MK didn't stand out. It's interesting how in 2006 (when I think this movie came out) I didn't see MK as one of those "it" brands or didn't even know he was that popular back then in the fashion circle. His things just seemed to have been thrown into the spotlight in the past 2 years or so for me, maybe I'm a little behind... just some things I was thinking about!

That being said, MK really shot into popularity these past few years and watching the astronomical growth has been interesting! I live in New York City and now I see as many MK bags as I do Louis Vuitton for example. It truly is a fever.

Now, whether that will last or not is definitely a great question... I wonder if it will. Do you guys think that MK has that staying power or its more of a temporary fad? I always think about whether we'll have a TV show in 20 years like "remember the 2010s!? Remember how EVERYONE had one of those gold watches? and MK plastered all over their bag?" Lol :smile:

Interesting! I too was not able to read the whole thing as I don't have a subscription but it's certainly a fascinating topic to think about. It's funny...the other day I rewatched "The Devil Wears Prada" (I absolutely adore that movie!) When I first watched it, I was much younger and didn't pick up too much on the designer name drops (Hermes, Valentino, etc.) But this second time around watching it, I noticed the brand names and things like that much more...like Emily wearing an Hermes collier de chien, bracelet, etc.

One thing that stood out to me the second time viewing this was that "Miranda Priestly" mentioned a Michael Kors fashion show - back when I was younger I picked up more on names like Gucci and maybe like... Dior in this movie, but MK didn't stand out. It's interesting how in 2006 (when I think this movie came out) I didn't see MK as one of those "it" brands or didn't even know he was that popular back then in the fashion circle. His things just seemed to have been thrown into the spotlight in the past 2 years or so for me, maybe I'm a little behind... just some things I was thinking about!

That being said, MK really shot into popularity these past few years and watching the astronomical growth has been interesting! I live in New York City and now I see as many MK bags as I do Louis Vuitton for example. It truly is a fever.

Now, whether that will last or not is definitely a great question... I wonder if it will. Do you guys think that MK has that staying power or its more of a temporary fad? I always think about whether we'll have a TV show in 20 years like "remember the 2010s!? Remember how EVERYONE had one of those gold watches? and MK plastered all over their bag?" Lol :smile:
I think MK is here to stay, maybe not as these high fever pitch frenzy buying levels, but certainly as a designer among many. Look how long Kate Spade has lasted, and her brand is still going strong. As long as MK continues to make affordable, quality handbags and accessories, and continues to reinvent with new styles and designs, I don't see why we won't still be hearing about him in 5-10 years or longer.

i think mk is here to stay, maybe not as these high fever pitch frenzy buying levels, but certainly as a designer among many. Look how long kate spade has lasted, and her brand is still going strong. As long as mk continues to make affordable, quality handbags and accessories, and continues to reinvent with new styles and designs, i don't see why we won't still be hearing about him in 5-10 years or longer.

+1:smile:

The company needs to make its high and low end products more distinct. Michael Kors is not overexposed but Michael by Michael Kors is. MK's biggest problem is the general public does not know the difference. Quality alone may eventually not be enough for the company to retain high end consumers.

Agree that Mk and even M by Mk are here to stay. As long as the brands continue on this route, stay classic and yet modern, affordable and high quality and craftsmanship, I will continue to buy.

I do have a couple of MK Bag one is the classic Hamilton Satchel and one crosbody and both are black and in gold hardware, I do have their flats as well and I have 3 of them all are flats. 3 years ago when I got my first MK bag and I knew it before even the prediction that this brand is going to go down the hill sooner or later due to the over expose and easy access to the bag Real or Fake. I always played smart everytime the "it" bag is out I do not go crazy I always think about if this bag is worth investing or spending my money? But my bags are definetly worth every penny since I do used it a lot including the shoes:smile: MK Brand is such a good eye catching brand you can tell even from far away that, that lady is wearing a pink selma bag..lol which is every woman wanted to jump in the band wagon because of the look and hey it's affordable and most of the time they have sale going on and you can even come accross to find it in Marshall,TJ max, and Nordstrom rack. That's when I stop thingking to buy my next MK Bag...I'm not against good price or the brand but I want my bag to have a value and morale in the fashion world, like for example LV bag yes It's popular but no matter what happened I will never expect my bag to find in those stores and some people can find it in excellent deal than I do...I will stick with the quality than quantity:smile: Enjoy your bag ladies and thank you for letting me share:smile: