wrinkly vs smooth '09 leather

CMUmom56

Jun 25, 2009
I just received my Chataigne PT and was a little surprised at the leather on the back -- very wrinkled. I, personally prefer smoother leather, but it seems like alot of ladies really like the wrinkled leather and are so happy to have gotten that type as opposed to the smoother leather. It just looks so dry - like it will crack and peel any minute, but it is smooth and smooshy at the same time. Please help me here as I am deciding whether to send her back for another, smoother version. :smile:

i also love distressed and wrinkly leather..but it is a very personal preference!;)

i also don't like when a bag is distressed on the front and smooth on the back(or viceversa!)
please can you post pictures of your new bag?:graucho:

I love distressing as long as there are no white veins and the leather is soft. What would bother me more is uneven texture - smooth on front, wrinkled on back - like the bag you received. I used to prefer very smooth leather with little texture and realized that type of leather can make a color look flat and one-dimensional. I am now beginning to appreciate distressing and texture as long as it is accompanied by softness.

I am so new to Bal having just 2 of these lovely bags, but all 3 have little or no distressing so I guess that is what I am used to. But this bag is just too wrinkled on the back and does not match up with the front distress -wise. I hate this -- looking forward all week and then having this happen.

The leather of my galet is softer than tempete. I don't have other b bags, and Tokyo told me her galet is also softer than tempete. I don't know the reason, maybe it depends on different color?

I have been looking at this bag for over an hour and no matter how I try to justify keeping it, I can't get past the heavy distressing on the back and the minimal distressing on the front -- it just doesn't match up. My SA in LV sent me a pic of the other one she has with little wrinkling on both front and back -- think I am going to get that one and return this one. It just boils down to personal preference and when I'm paying that much, I want to be in love with it -- not settle for it. Thanks!!

Hey send it back and get the one you love! I sent my PT back it had mismatched handels one was wrinkled, one smooth and it bugged the bejeebers out of me!

^^
Yup -- I know what you mean -- once I get to thinking about the fact that the front doesn't match the back as far as distressing goes, I will never forget about it -- bugs the heck out of me too!! it is going back for her less-wrinkled( I hope) sister!!

My 1st Bbag just showed up at my door within the past 30 minutes. It is very wrinkly/distressed, but evenly so front & back. The sides are a bit different texture, but match each other. I can see that if the front & back didn't match each other or if the sides didn't match each other, I might be a bit offput as well. Please do whatever makes you most comfortable, but don't settle if it really bothers you just to avoid another week or 2 wait to send it back and get the other one. Sometimes it's easy to talk oneself out of a return to avoid the hassle. But as much as these bags cost, you should be thrilled with it and 2 weeks will fly by.

I really like mis matched distressing, but agree completely that it's personal taste and you should always have something you love.
For me I don't mind at all if my bag has different leather on different parts, just as to me it makes my bag unique and that no body elses will be quite the same.

I love smoother leather too, but it boils down to each individual colour and bag. I've had smooth bags where the front and back panels are smooth but the side leather is distressed, and loved it - but I always want some sort of symmetry. It can be a challenge tracking down THE bag you want, with matching panels, etc, but it's so worth it. Keep hunting!

Just sent Ms. Chataigne on her way back to LV -- Jhanin is holding another that looks great and will send it to me when she has the other in hand, so I am happy. I feel bad because I got all flustered when the bag showed up and it wasn't what I expected, so I hope my SA isn't too upset with me!! And thank you all for your great comments -- they helped me when I was really upset and didn't know what to do. Bal ladies -->:urock: