Wow, Our Stained Glass Arrived!!

Kpassa

Mar 20, 2008
When we moved into our condo last September we had an ugly builtin area at the top of the stairs from the 2nd to the 3rd floor. It's one of those recessed areas with molding around it. The area had no direct natural light so all you could do was stick a fake plant, a vase or some piece of sculpture in it. We didn't do any of those things it just sat empty. Then we got an inspiration. My wife came up with a design to match the wine theme of our home and we commissioned a stained glass artist to make us a custom piece. While we were waiting (she started the work last December I came down through the attic and installed rope lighting around the inside edges. Well the piece arrived and was installed today, we're very happy with it. It's about 28 by 50 inches and can be seen either with the natural light that would filter through from our bedroom on the third floor and the living room on the 2nd floor, an overhead spotlight that is on the ceiling or with the rope lighting from behind. We're waiting for total darkness, hopefully it will look like she is sitting outside on a starry night. The picture doesn't even begin to do it justice, I have to set up a tripod and get it at different times of the day but the colors are so rich and beautiful :yahoo:

30ads05.jpg

Wow, I like that. My mom does stained glass too. She has done done large frames to fit windows too, usually does more traditional pieces. I really like your choice, it looks great, very unique!

It's dark upstairs now, the piece is backlighted and looks just spectacular. I have to edit my pictures to make them smaller and easier to see online, when I figure that out I'll post more pics. Thank you for the positive comment :ty:

Don't like it. but I'm used to more colorful and traditional pieces.

:wtf:
WOW, Hasn't your mom ever taught you: "If you don't have anything nice to say....". Your opinion was not asked in this thread; The title is "Wow, Our Stained Glass Arrived Today". Read next time before you voice your unsolicited opinion! Shame...

Personally, I think it is lovely! What an honor to have an artist's custom piece in your home! My hubby and I are in the process of renovating our home from top to bottom, so I really can appreciate this piece. The size of it alone sounds impressive! It is gorgeous!
Congratulations! Your wife must have quite a vision!
:tup::tup:

Don't like it. but I'm used to more colorful and traditional pieces.

We did look into pieces that had more colors but she felt that too many colors would overwhelm the area. You have to think of yourself walking up a stairs. It's not like a piece that would be in a restaurant or a church where you have a long time to study it. If we were choosing a piece for the living room or a window we probably would have gone with something busier.

^^
While PinkEms could have been a bit more tactful in stating that he/she didn't like the stained glass window, I think PinkEms had every right to express his/her opinion of the stained glass window.

To the original poster:
Congrats on your new custom window! It was clever of you to place a stained glass window in that part of your house that could benefit from it and it's a creative design. I think the colors are very pretty and I like the doves and the wine ribbons but I do not care for the nude backside of the woman.

:wtf:
WOW, Hasn't your mom ever taught you: "If you don't have anything nice to say....".

We don't mind constructive criticism. I could see where she would think it's somewhat muted compared to, say, a church window. But it's actually more colorful than that picture appears and it changes according to how it's lit.

Personally, I think it is lovely! What an honor to have an artist's custom piece in your home! My hubby and I are in the process of renovating our home from top to bottom, so I really can appreciate this piece. The size of it alone sounds impressive! It is gorgeous!
Congratulations! Your wife must have quite a vision!
:tup::tup:

We also live in the Atlanta area, Forsyth County. If you'd ever like to see it in person or get in touch with the artist who did the work leave me a PM.

Lovely piece, I took a stain glass course, bought the glass grinder and all that so I can do it myself and have created some just as a hobby and something to do. It is pretty easy to do with larger pieces like that once you learn, you'd be surprised how easy it is to create and practice makes it a fun hobby. The lead soldering is clean and professional looking so good job to the artist. It is a unique picture, congrats.