Would you wear an unbranded but obvious dupe?

Jan 13, 2016
After a really long search, I finally found the perfect leather belt on Etsy. The seller is a quite skilled European craftsman specialized in leather goods. I literally have not owned any belts in years because of my extreme pickiness in accessories.

My perfect belt is now on its way to me. The belt has a lock buckle which somehow reminded me of the Hermès Kelly bag. I just googled it up and yup, the belt is an obvious Hermès dupe. All the details seem to match the original thin Hermès Kelly belt in Epsom leather. However, there are no logos or date codes or anything like that. It totally slipped my radar despite the fact that I own a pair of Hermès loafers myself. :shocked:

None of my friends, family or coworkers have any expertise on expensive brands. Some of them might be able to recognize the iconic Burberry plaid or LV Monogram pattern, but Hermès is waaaaay out of their league.

Would you wear the belt? Or should I return it when it arrives? :confused1:

Designer inspired I’d wear. Total copies or “fakes” made to look exactly like original no I would not.
If you start a thread because you are uncomfortable return. Doesn’t sound like you’re comfortable with wearing.

Reactions: mellecyn
Thank you. My mishap might end up being expensive. I totally wasn't planning to splurge on a Hermès belt but here I am, scrolling down Kelly belts on the Hermès website... :hrmm:

Reactions: snibor
Designer inspired I’d wear. Total copies or “fakes” made to look exactly like original no I would not.
If you start a thread because you are uncomfortable return. Doesn’t sound like you’re comfortable with wearing.
I agree with this statement. When it doesn’t pretend to be the brand, but have an inspired by design, I’m ok.
I also agree that it seems to bother you so do what you feel is right for you.

Reactions: snibor
For me it would depend on what it is. For example there are a lot of Chanel Reissue dupes that have the mademoiselle turnlock and the chain, but it doesn't say "Chanel" on the hardware. To me that is too close for comfort, and I wouldn't wear that. However I just ordered a coat that was inspired by the Max Mara 101801 Madame coat, with similar double breasted buttons, similar boxy look, but it doesn't have a Max Mara logo anywhere, and I feel like that is okay. I've also seen Cartier love bracelet dupes that have a circle with a plus sign stamped on the bracelet (instead of the actual Cartier circle with a line in the middle), and I also think that is too close.

I also think intent is really important. A lot of people who wear that inspired Cartier piece probably really like the Cartier love bracelet but don't want to (or can't afford to) buy the real thing, but their intent is that it would look like the real thing. So that to me is a big no-no.

Reactions: earthygirl
You know, I want to say yes, but with so many “designers” knocking off iconic bags from brands like Hermès, LV, Chanel, etc, there are so many dupes that I say “why not”? Coach, Rebecca Minkoff, Michael Kors, for starters, would have hardly anything to sell if they only sold original designs. If it doesn’t have the fake label or an obvious trademark, like the Hermès H, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Reactions: earthygirl
I have similar thought these days. I want a birkin but I don’t want to pay for the high price nor buy a fake one. But I really like the leather and stitching... I don’t think an inspired one from Tory Burch, YSL can satisfy me...

But I don’t want people to think that I spend so much on a handbag. Then I found a Taobao store which can order Hermes bags without logo on them. The store keeper said the materials they used are so similar to the authentic one. I can also pick the leather and color I like without paying huge amounts of money to the brand.

It’s so tempting to order one from him. Will people think that I use a fake handbag if I carry it on the street? I really believe that is a smart purchase as I enjoy similar quality, a bag I like, supporting small business, without spending so much on the luxury brand.. but I do care about people’s thought so much.

If it doesn’t have a label on it, I would say it’s a judgment call. If you feel good about it, then go for it. But if you don’t, you will be self-conscious every time you wear it out and then either not wear it and waste your money or look awkward when you wear it, instead of confident, which is also a waste of money.

From what you are saying, may be best off saving your money and buying a pre-loved in a colorway that is not as “popular”, so you can get it at a better price and fully Rick it with pride. The fact that it will probably be in a statement color is even better!