Would you wear a pencil dress at work ?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Or is it too sexy ? too formal ? when to wear it otherwise ?

2. What do you mean by pencil dress? A suiting dress with a narrow skirt? If so, then I do wear suiting dresses to work. It is so easy to get dressed.

3. Yes, if you feel uncomfortable about it being a bit form fitting add a cardi or blazer...

4. Yes I think it would look good for work, especially with a cute cardigan over it :smile:

5. totally nice...not formal (b/c it's not a suit) but office-like....pencil skirt reminds me of charleotte at SATC...she had many pencil dress while she's at the gallery...and similar to your field.

6. absolutely. Great with a cashmere cardi or jacket over it.

7. yes - very cute! You can find one that's not completely form-hugging, then it won't be "too sexy" for work.

8. Yes, I love dresses. Wear a cardigan or cute little jacket over it.

9. i would! i'd probably put a cardigan or blazer over it.

10. I live in them during the spring/summer time however I do make sure they are not ultra form fitting and I keep a cardi over the top to down it down slightly. I'd go for it!

11. Yes, absolutely! You can dress up the 'formality' side of things with careful consideration of accessories - I wear suiting-style dresses to work with closed-toe pumps and structured neat handbags. I will sometimes wear a jacket or trench over them to the office.

I live in dresses in summer, I loved watching Anna Wintour in The September Issue in all her dresses and neat skirts - obviously most of us don't work at Vogue, or even in fashion, but it's still a great source of inspiration for those of us trying to combine femininity AND professionalism in the workplace IMO.

12. I think it depends on your body type. The same way the appropriateness of a neckline depends on your bustline, the appropriateness of a pencil silhouette depends on the size of your booty. I have a big ass and would not wear a fitted dress to work, but I think if you are narrower it's probably fine.

13. i would probably wear it with a boyfriend cardigan to add some casualness to it. a nice waist belt over both pieces to finish it off.

14. I would. But it may be too sexy or formal for your office....

15. Why do most of you think that suiting dresses are sexy? I'm thinking of dresses like this.
    http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/dresses/suitingdresses/PRDOVR~24155/24155.jsp
    http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/dresses/suitingdresses/PRDOVR~19881/19881.jsp
    I don't think they are much sexier than a fitted pencil skirt with silky tank top. It just seems like business casual to me.