would you upgrade 1.21 to 1.50 ?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
6,406
297
My jeweler has a 1.50 round stone in the same specs as my 1.21. Will find out the extra cost tomorrow if I choose to make the switch. They will buy back the original stone for exact price I paid for it in 2007. Very intriqued. Anyone want to guess the amount of money I will need to come up with if I make it a go? I'm guessing near $4000 but really have no clue! I will update this thread tomorrow afternoon.
 

Lovefour

Member
Aug 1, 2012
559
74
My jeweler has a 1.50 round stone in the same specs as my 1.21. Will find out the extra cost tomorrow if I choose to make the switch. They will buy back the original stone for exact price I paid for it in 2007. Very intriqued. Anyone want to guess the amount of money I will need to come up with if I make it a go? I'm guessing near $4000 but really have no clue! I will update this thread tomorrow afternoon.
I recently upgraded to 1.5 with the help of Ame and I couldn't be happier! I also went with a round. I sold my .8 marquise and couldn't be happier with the size. I always thought I wanted 2 but I love this stone so much it's perfect for me! The specs have so much to do with the price. You will have to see it in person to decide.
 

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
6,406
297
^Thanks for posting and so happy you love your upgrade. Do you mind telling me your specs? I think I'm looking at an SI1 and a G or H color. I will be sure to write everything down tomorrow. What is the most importsant factor - the ratios and cut?
 
Oct 17, 2006
1,775
368
I would not bother. I can see upgrading from 0.8 ct to 1.50 ct, but not from 1.22 ct. The size difference between 1.21 ct and 1.50 ct is not enough for me to go through the trouble and expense (reset fee and possible new setting).

Another important point is that you will lose a lot of money from the trade. 1. Your 2007 price is likely much lower than today's price. You may get more money by selling the diamond yourself. 2. The price for 1.50 ct nowadays costs a lot more than in year 2007. It is a double loss for a change that is not readily noticeable. Not worth it. I would upgrade only if the new diamond is 2 ct or higher.
 

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
6,406
297
Thanks! I think all of your opinions are probably correct! Will see what they say. If I paid $7000 or $8000 for the 1.21 and it would be $12,000 or $13,000 for such a negligible difference - not worth it!
 

HauteMama

.
O.G.
Sep 22, 2006
11,523
633
I agree that you will need to see the comparison prices and more importantly the larger stone before you can make any decision. On an ideally cut round, the size difference between a 1.21 ct and a 1.5 ct is most definitely visible - it could potentially be a difference of half a mm. That sounds like nothing in terms of most things, but I can see a visual difference in diamonds of .2, and a difference of .5 or more is obvious to me.

Regarding the price being worth it, again, only you can decide that. Keep in mind that while your 1.21 stone might be worth more sold new today, you will likely not do better than getting back what you paid. And the price of new stones - especially larger ct weights - is continuing to rise. If you decide in a few years that you wish you had upgraded, the price to do so then will be higher and you will be kicking yourself for not having done so at today's prices. And if you later decide you want a 2 ct? It is still easier on the pocketbook to take the step in between to the 1.5 and later trade that stone in toward the 2.
 

Lovefour

Member
Aug 1, 2012
559
74
I agree there is a big size difference in 1.2 to 1.5 especially if the cut is perfect! I love G color! H is as low as I would go but many on this forum go I and J and are very happy it's personal preference. SI1 could be a great value if you look at it under microscopes. You have to look at the inclusions under the scope and then see if you can at all see them with the naked eye. Everyone has opinions on specs but honestly for me If you absolutely love the stone and are within a range like Ame posts you should be fine! Once you start looking you will know. I looked at about 10 stones before I found the one that is perfect for me!
 

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
6,406
297
Just found receipt. It was from the year 2004 - not 2009. It is 1.25 and not 1.21. The color is "I" but the clarity is VS1. Very curious as to price of stone in same specs but 1.5 size. We paid $7990 plus tax for original.
 
Oct 17, 2006
1,775
368
Is your 1.25 ct certified by GIA or AGS? If not, then there is no way of telling if the diamond is truly I color, VS1 clarity. Furthermore, do you know about the cut parameters/spec (GIA Excellent or AGS ideal)? Without this information, there is no telling about the true worth of your diamond. If the color and clarity are off, and the cut is not ideal, it will be very difficult to sell your diamond on your own and be able to recover most of your money. In that case, then you are better off trading in your diamond, if and only if your jeweler can find you an ideal cut diamond at a fair price. Chances are that your jeweler may charge you a lot for the new diamond.

For your information, here are the current prices for ideal cut (GIA Excellent or AGS 0 ideal) diamonds.

1.21 I VS1 $9441
1.23 I VS1 $8900
About $8000 if cut is slightly less ideal.

1.51 I VS2 $13,554
1.53 I VS2 $13,920
About $11,000-$12,600 if cut is slightly less ideal.

If you paid $7990 plus tax for something less ideal or non-GIA/AGS certified diamond, then you most likely overpaid for your diamond. If this is the case, don't frown, because most of us (including me) had the same experience. Moving forward, we just need to make sure that we do it right on our next purchase (which usually means higher price and thus more important).

By the way, the diameter is 6.8mm for an ideal 1.25 ct and 7.4mm for an ideal 1.50 ct. If you really want to have a 2-ct diamond eventually, it is better to wait and not take little steps. Reason is that these little steps (e.g., new setting) cost money, which can better be used towards your ultimate diamond.
 

amateurjeweler

Midas Jr.
Jun 30, 2011
367
531
Best Coast, USA
For the price of the upgrade you could probably buy a nice semi-precious stone in the mm you want, set in 18k or platinum. You could get your birthstone or his, and either wear it on the other hand or a different finger or use it as a placeholder while traveling.

You could probably even get a custome-made halo ring to fringe what you have and increase your perception of its carat size.

To be fair I don't wear diamonds except studs, and the ring you already have sounds beautiful and above the national average e-ring carat size.
 

Asscher

O.G.
Mar 17, 2008
889
3
Compare the 1.5 ct to your 1.2ct and see if you can see a difference. I can discern a visible difference between these 2 carat weight, so I would support an upgrade. But your 1.2 ct has risen in price over the last few years. If you're trading it in for $7990, I suggest you try to sell it by yourself first. If you're using a different vendor and he's giving you a higher price than $7990, come back with specs of new stone, new diamond price and old diamond trade in amount so that we can better help you.

Are you planning on upgrading to 2ct in future? I don't see that mentioned anywhere in our post but I might have missed it since I was reading fast. Even if you're planning on upgrade in future, you have to face the increased value of your diamond in future, you might as well settle this issue now either by selling outright or trading in. But don't custom make an expensive setting for the 1.5 ct if you are upgrading in future.
 

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
6,406
297
update - SHOICKING!

Yes - my ring has a GIA cert. It was from the year 2004. The stone table is a 7.2. That is on a 1.25 carat. "I" color, VS1. It cost $7990 for just the stone. Jewelery store has a buy back program. They claim to give you back exactly what you paid for the diamond. Obviously not the current price a diamond with those specs would cost 10 years later. The jeweler showed me a 1.50 stone with a 7.4 table and exact specs. I could see no difference whatsoever between my original with the 7.2 table and the bigger 7.4 table.

Here is the clincher: It would cost $11, 000 more! But he'd give me a nice discount and would only be $9,000 more! LOL! Can't even see any difference between 2 stones.

I was contemplating if I only had to add $4000 or $5000. So I ran out of the store as fast as I could. BTW, my stone looks bigger anyway since it was reset into a HOF significance style halo in year 2010.

So now instead of an upgrade, I am exploring (revisiting ) tennis bracelets for my birthday present in the $4,000-$5,000 range.