Would you still buy an Alma PM?

Alma Vernis Amarante PM or Polene Numero Un and Dior evening mini bag?

• Alma PM

• Polene + Dior

Results are only viewable after voting.

Passerine123

Sep 21, 2014
For years I've admired the Alma PM in Vernis Amarante but whenever I pulled the trigger at LV, it was always for another bag instead. But now I'm thinking I will finally go for it. IMO, it's a classic and won't go out of style for a long time and I get the sense LV might discontinue this color/leather, at least in the PM size (I don't want the BB size). So it might be now or never or rather, now or pre-loved. However, the price is around $2000. That seems pretty high, I remember how much it cost over the past few years and it's the same bag.... part of me thinks for that much I could buy a Polene Numero Un for everyday use and a gold micro-cannage Diorama mini bag for going out at night... https://www.dior.com/en_ch/products...ouch-metallic-champagne-microcannage-calfskin

My other concern is that I do not want to order online, I prefer to look at and then buy bags in the store itself. I've emailed LV to ask when/if it will be available in stores in Switzerland -- it is available now only through LV France online or in a French boutique. Haven't heard back yet.

What would you do? Thanks!

Amarante is the most elegant Vernis, and the Alma is the most elegant LV handbag. So... :smile:
I'd say go for it, it really feels that you are ready :smile:
Can you order online with in-store pickup? Then you can inspect it in person and a trip to France is never bad :smile: Are the borders open yet?

I love the Alma PM, I will never part with mine. But I am not a fan of Vernis. It is beautiful to look at, but difficult to take care of. Certainly not an everyday bag. Would you consider a color in Epi? If you are aware of the vernis limitations, then I would say go for it- the Amarante is stunning.

I would go for it anytime but in Epi. Have been eyeing it years ago too but never got around to get it. Now that the price has gone up so much, I ended up with a Picotin Lock 22 instead.

However, my mind is still on the Alma PM from time to time. So much so that I messaged my cousin asking her to sell hers if she has no love for it anymore. :lol:

I re-read your poll question, if is strictly for evening bag, I find Alma PM too big, perhaps Alma BB?

Reactions: Passerine123
Hi All, thanks! No, the Alma PM is not meant to be an evening bag, I only meant that if I bought the Polene Numero Un instead of the Alma I would have enough money left over to also buy the Dior evening bag. (I already have three Polene bags, including the rare Numero Deux in black moc croc)

The Vernis Amarante is the only version of the Alma that I'm really interested in. It wouldn't be used every day so I don't mind that its care is more demanding. I am annoyed though that the shoulder strap is sold separately (I know that's always been the case), which brings the combined price to roughly 2500 francs (roughly $2500) and that seems like a lot to swallow. :hrmm:

If it's available in a Swiss store (Zurich/Basel -- Geneva/Lausanne and Lugano are a bit too far away) I will go in person and see how I feel then. I appreciate everybody's input. :flowers:

Last edited:
I have to go against the grain and recommend you get the Polene Numero Un and the Diorama Pouch. I personally have a Numero Un in black Trio croc and love it so much!

I used to have a Business Card Holder in Vernis Amarante and couldn't stand how easy it is to get finger marks on the leather, so I sold it.

I would only recommend the Alma PM if you buy it in Epi, preloved, in the colour Quetsche. I would choose that over Vernis Amarante.

In my experience if you want something and get something else to replace that something you’d wanted, you’d still get the original thing anyway. So best to focus and get what you originally wanted before it’s too late and you end up buying a bunch of unnecessary things. It took me 15 years to buy my LV Cherry Blossom retro and if only I’d gone out and get it I would’ve saved $$ and found one in better condition.

The Alma PM for sure! It is a classic style and been around for over 20 years now. If you really like it then you would get that one. I've been wanting to get something in Epi noir and always end up with something else. I finally get the Alma BB in Epi Noir this month and feel happy to own it now. Good luck deciding! ;)

I would absolutely go with Alma PM, it is for sure one of the most classic bags ever. I own one in black epi and it looks as good as new although it is almost 10 years old. Mine came with no bottom feet which is unfortunate but even so shows no signs of wear whatsoever. I did purchase the strap separately but have to say it is not the most comfortable bag to carry on your shoulder because of the wide bottom.

How about going preloved? There are some good options on the preloved market.

Alma PM in DE was my dream bag, but once I used it for 5 times, the structure didn’t suit my lifestyle, ended up selling it. Luckily I didn’t make a loss by selling it. This was the one I sold.
6DBF515C-FFD8-47FD-8093-751903EEEA01.jpeg

Reactions: BowieFan1971
Yes, I might think about pre-loved, I have to see what the prices are for the model I want. A pre-loved bag is more likely to come with a strap included, which is not the case if buying new. I'd get the bag this week except I just haven't reconciled myself to paying nearly 2500 for an Alma PM (with strap). For less than that, I could get the Soufflot MM, another LV bag I really like (although a completely different style). decisions, decisions...

I have to go against the grain and recommend you get the Polene Numero Un and the Diorama Pouch. I personally have a Numero Un in black Trio croc and love it so much!

Thanks! I do plan to get another Numero Un in either the black trio croc or the navy croc. But I will wait until late fall...we have plans to go to Paris for a week, covid permitting, and I'd rather buy it in person.

Reactions: inverved
Thanks! I do plan to get another Numero Un in either the black trio croc or the navy croc. But I will wait until late fall...we have plans to go to Paris for a week, covid permitting, and I'd rather buy it in person.

Great colour choices on the Numero Un. Let us know what you end up getting and safe travels on your Paris trip later this year (covid permitting)! :biggrin: