Would you spray water repellent on your chanel?

....I am a weirdo because <lookleftandrightandleftandwhisper>, I like the smell of mothballs.......it means bugfree to me......

LOL!!! :roflmfao:

I put a lot of silica gel packets inside my cabinet where I put the bags, inside the bag itself and inside the Chanel box where I keep my bag. Inside the box, I use 2 sheets of Chanel thin white papers to wrap the bag and leave a little hole for the bag to breathe. And I pull the chains to one side and put them inside the bag, which is stuffed with Chanel tissue papers to keep the form of the bag. Also, I have chosen a room which has the least sunlight as my closet room for bags so that it will be relatively drier and my bags won't be exposed to direct sunlight. I won't spray anything on the bag....hehe! :P

Last edited:
I would like to share an experience I just had with this issue. I purchased two pairs of ballet flats, one lambskin, one metallic calfskin from a Chanel boutique. The nice SA gave me a bag containing a soft cloth, one small bottle of leather conditioner/cleaner, and one small bottle of stain/water repellent. I applied the repellent to both pairs of shoes. After 24 hours, the lambskin looked perfect. The calfskin had a few white spots of residue. Fortunately, the spots wiped off after some moderate rubbing with the soft cloth. I had been worried, but fought the urge to panic. I honestly think that I did not hold the product far enough away when I was spraying, and that's what resulted in the spots.

Anyways, just wanted to share. I hope all of you are having a fine weekend.

Am I the only one who does not spray anything on bags?

My understanding from Chanel is one does not have to spray anything further on the bags because they have all been treated in particular manners before they leave the factories. The SAs in Paris teach me how to look after my bags and I remember asking them if I need to spray anything and all of them shake their heads.

That said, I also read a lot of great reviews about various products. My only concern is the long-term effect the chemicals have on the bags which may not show up until say 2, 3, 4 years down the line.

Just my 2p.

I agree!

Apple Garde works on Caviar:tup: but I am hesitant now to use it on Lambskin, when I used it, made the leather softer and wrinkly. Perhaps don't spray it directly on the leather. Spray it on a clean cloth and wipe it thinly on the leather. I believe if your Chanel lambskin doesn't need it badly, let it be. Or the best is bring it to a Chanel boutique and have it refurbish professionally.

Oh gosh, I don't spray anything on my beloved bags too (scared stiff of how it'll end up). I just follow the SA's instructions very carefully, storing the bags in their boxes and making sure the chain is wrapped in tissue paper. I do have an excellent leather conditioner (recommended by a very wise-looking middle-aged SA in Saks) that I'd use once in a while on little light scruffs. The brand's Cadillac, and they call it the "leather balm".

Like Mon, I use Shining Monkey for my Chanel bags and wallet. It doesn't leave any spots and dries almost immediately. It is also a stain protectant. This was essential for my white Chanel bag. It has kept it looking great!!

I love my chanel the way it is. So I never sprayed or do anything to it. What I will do is to take care of them the best I can, strore them properly, never bring them when it's raining, and pour them all with love and affection.

I spray all of my Chanel & LV bags with Cadillac Shield from Nordstrom. You can purchase in shoe or handbag departments. It leaves no spots, mist marks, etc. and dries very quickly. It is recommended for leathers and suedes.