Would you Sell a Classic Flap?

Joelene

May 3, 2015
I was recently thinking to sell my Beige Caviar Medium CF with GHW. I paid $5600 USD before the 2020 increase. I was offered a good quote on Fashionphile, and I still have a few weeks to decide. However, since the price increase I am hesitant. I am just worried that I might regret selling, because I would not repurchase this bag. Would you sell a classic flap?

Kind of depends on the circumstances, there is no right or wrong answer. Why are you selling it and do you see yourself never carrying it?

I considered selling my jumbo classic flap more than a decade ago because I wasn’t using it much (and honestly still don’t), even got a quote from FP for it too but it wasn’t great. This was of course before the crazy price increases. I held on to it and am glad I did, even if the reasons I’m holding on to it is more sentimental than anything else (first Chanel, my only bag with 24K gold etc)

I was recently thinking to sell my Beige Caviar Medium CF with GHW. I paid $5600 USD before the 2020 increase. I was offered a good quote on Fashionphile, and I still have a few weeks to decide. However, since the price increase I am hesitant. I am just worried that I might regret selling, because I would not repurchase this bag. Would you sell a classic flap?
Your hesitation tells me you are unsure and in that case I would not sell it for now. Give yourself some time to reassess the true reasons you want to sell it. One of the lovely TPF members mention this quote on another trend @showgratitude and it’s so true “Doubt means NO until you really know what you want to do.”

Never. I bought a jumbo classic flap in 2008 for $2400 and now the same bag is $10,000+ I heard. Lol, I would never spend $10,000 on a bag unless someone bought it for me. People at at the Hermes section used to joke about a Mr. Lau who bought Hermes for his girlfriends. Now Chanel is at Hermes levels in pricing.

Reactions: Grande Latte
Only if you have something else in mind you want to buy?
Ideally I would hang on to the bag if there is a chance you will wear it in the near future. If not, don't think twice, let it go :smile:

No. Is there a reason why you would?

Regret and potential repurchase thoughts are already there. The price of these bags only get higher. The best thing about classic flaps is they are timeless. While you may not love it now you can always love it later. You will be glad you didn’t sell when 10 years from now a classic flap will be 20k(at the rate of the price increases!).

I agree with those saying it’s better to hold onto it. I’ve thought about letting go of some flap colours that I never use but the cost of repurchase is just to high to justify that. This is truly a classic so you may go back to it in the future. I went through a period of never wearing my Chanel’s as I was obsessed with my H bags but right now I’ve worn a classic flap every single day for weeks!

Yes, I would sell my classic flaps and have sold them,

If you would have asked 3 years ago , I would have said hell no. I sold my jumbos and maxis . I only have one of each left. They don't work for me the way they did before. My life is causal now and I like a lighter bag. I do not regret it and do not want them back at all.
The money was spent on much better things that improve my life.

I also am no longer holding onto anything in life that doesn't bring much joy. I had a jumbo that was sentimental to me I sold it last week . It served me in the past and now it doesn't , so I let it go. It is only a leather bag. I can remember it and loved wearing it, but why keep it? We keep things for later use and it often just sits gathering dust and doesn't add to our lives.
I felt brainwashed by the term classic bag, classic flap. It's just marketing to me now.

If I ever desire it again, I will by it again.