Would you sell a bag you received as a gift?

I think there should a moratorium on how long you have to keep a gift before you can sell it. I mean, there are purses I buy for myself that I find I don't use after a year. If it's been more than 1 gift-giving cycle (for ex. it's a bag you got 2 birthdays ago), I say sell it. Eventually the gift-giver will probably forget what they got you anyway.

I would sell it. Of course I would wait a little while- I think it would be a little tacky to sell it right after getting it.

If I gave someone a gift they wouldn't use, I would much rather them sell it and put the money towards something they would like (and use!) than just let it sit there. But maybe that's because I don't get my feelings hurt if someone doesn't like something I bought them. I put a lot of thought into what I buy people but you can't always get it right!

I would think it's okay to sell if you've had it awhile. I've never gotten rid of an expensive bag I've gotten as a gift, but I have sold or gave away inexpensive gifts. Once someone gives you something as a gift, it's yours to do as you wish with.

Why not just suggest to your family that for Christmas everyone gets to write out a wish list, and that the gifts be chosen from that list? That way you stand a chance of getting what you really want.
IDK about selling gifts...the thought is what counts. IMHO its kind of churlish to give away or even sell one. Just hang on to them...and consider the wish list idea.

I think it depends on who gave it to you. Close-to-you people (like siblings/mom/etc.), I wouldn't necessarily sell. I would just hang onto it and maybe get rid of it in years to come. Then again, if it's just a "friend" or acquaintance or whatever, then sell away.

Although most people who give me expensive gifts know what I like, so I don't think wouldn't be offended if I wanted an exchange. My boyfriend always tucks in a gift receipt. Then again, his parents gave me some fairly pricey (for them anyway) earrings that I absolutely HATE and I'm just hanging onto them until I have kids to pass it down to. They were SO not me that when his sister and he saw them, they were like, "uh... just wear it in front of them. They'll never know."

I used to think I would never sell any bags my BF bought, but lately i'm starting to change my mind. I would wait at least a year but I think you should be ok to sell them, though it might be awkward if they were to ask you what happened to it... that's why you should wait a while, give them a chance to forget.
You can't keep everything everyone ever gives you. If you really don't like them as gifts you should be honest or at least drop some hints about what you would really like.

I think there should a moratorium on how long you have to keep a gift before you can sell it. I mean, there are purses I buy for myself that I find I don't use after a year. If it's been more than 1 gift-giving cycle (for ex. it's a bag you got 2 birthdays ago), I say sell it. Eventually the gift-giver will probably forget what they got you anyway.

lol that's a brilliant idea! :lol: There really should be a law like this one. Well, after seeing everyone's response, I'm leaning towards selling a few of the older bags & the ones given by not-too-close family members. I guess these bags can be my emergency purse funding source in the future as well...

Sell what you're not using, definitely! It's a huge waste to keep something that is not being used. But don't tell the giver, because it might hurt her feelings. Be prepared to tell little white lies if they ask you about it. I once received a purse from a friend, and it was way too small. I would never let her know that I did not love her gift, though. I casually mentioned that my sister had admired the bag so much that I was letting her carry it. My friend and sister do not know each other, so no chance of getting caught. I sold the bag on Ebay.

The problem is, the City bag is really not my style, and I didn’t really like the color he chose (it’s this shade of blue: http://images.sabster5.multiply.com...1.JPG?et=jX2c2Clj1fNAxcZLWsqWuA&nmid=60328760)

So now, the bag is still with me and I’ve used it five times tops (it’s been more than three years since he bought it). I can’t sell it because it was a gift, but I hardly use it. What a waste.
The color is to die for, and I am a big fan of blue.
But... I could relate, I got several presents from my parents which were jewelry items and they were not my style. On my 18th birthday I've got set a 50 y.o. lady would wear. And after that I've got several things I totally hate. Eventually I sold all of them and paid for the half of decent chain. When you sell gold the best you get is 15-20% from the price they initally paid for it. What a waste. Couple years ago I asked my parents to give me a gift so I will know it is from them. I send pictures to them of the couple items I like and we end up going to the store together and I choose what I wanted. It turn out to be a different item from what I initially send, but I was dreaming about one ring for 8 years and I finally got it! :yahoo:

I would sell items I don't like. I always tell my relatives if they don't like what I choose for them they can sell, exchange, give away or whatever. I don't think it is an obligation to keep the gift.
I actually learned it from my son. He was disappointed with a gift I gave him for his 5th or 6th birthday. I was a little upset and ask him what is wrong? In his child wisdom he tells me that boys have different taste from their mom. So I either let him choose his gifts and ask him to make wish list for me.