Would you sell a bag or get credit note?

Hi,
I posted earlier about a bag I didn't take to..

Do you think selling on ebay is worth the hassle? The reason I ask, is at least that way I'd have my money back and free to spend where I want (sorry to say guys, but do buy non Mulberry as well!) whereas a credit note is still spent money if you see what I mean?

The helpful posters on the ebay thread are giving great advice but am hesitant to sell in case get someone using the bag then returning it or crying fake. I've only ever sold a few clothess before?

Hope I'm allowed to ask this on the Mulberry shopping thread - apologies if it's the wrong place..I just wanted to ask you all!

Thats a difficult question. You probably wont recoup all your money with ebay, especially when you factor in ebay and paypal fees which are quite high. Then there are the risks you mention about fraudulent buyers. On the other hand there are honest buyers and so far I've had only one problematic sale in almost 300 (not all bags) and you get the money sooner. Personally I'd go for the credit note as you would surely find something you like in 12 months but of course thats just me.

I agree with Bluecat comments- personally would return the bag to Mulberry and take the credit note you're bound to find something in the next 12mths. As for ebay you would prob be out of £££ with all the fees.
Good luck:flowers:

If you are a novice on ebay, I would excercise extreme caution unfortunately :sad:, its absolutely dreadful out there just now, the fees are sky high, and if there is a problem, it always seems to go to the buyer now, its non sensical really.

Ditas idea is really good imo, but I think I would take the credit note and look forward to all the gorgeous new bags coming out and enjoy a spree.

It depends on the bag I think. If it was something like an Oak Alexa the resale value is quite high, but they are still selling for around £100 less than RRP.

Classic Bayswaters are going for about £300!

Also if you list your item with a starting price of more than 99p then you'd incur a listing fee. One your item has sold you also have to pay 10%, then if you accept payment by Paypal there's another fee on top of that (not sure how much). But I'd reckon you'd be about £150-£250 out of pocket.

BUT if you're not going to spend it in Mulberry anytime soon, it’s better than being £500 out of pocket!

Sweetangel, I see what you mean about the money being 'spent' but I'd go for the credit note and hold on to it maybe until the christmas sales? In my experience of selling on ebayI find it a bit of a hassle personally, and there is as bluecat says the ebay fees. You pay to list it and they take a final %. Also for protection paypal should be used and they take a %.

Gosh, didn't know ebay AND paypal take a cut - that would be like 15- 20% then...
I am only selling an outlet bays so doubt would even make my money back.

I rang the York outlet and they said it would be okay to get a credit note, but couldn't use that credit note online and only in stores! I'm in the West Midlands so all outlets and stores are a trek for me.

Thankyou for all your help though! The lady in York did say there are hardly any Bays or E/W or Somerset range left and only odd colours and that my champagne Bays was very rare so should try and see if I like it. I asked if they had any champagne Mabels but they said very rare...

Maybe it's a matter of risk the credit note or keep the bag and if still don't like it , then sell it as used later on...?? At least that way I could justify losing money on re-selling!

I got stung before as my buyer paid via paypal! When I transferred the ££ from my paypal acct to my bank acct they took some. I can't remember how much, but it still went!:shocked:

Personally if you're already thinking about selling it later on I'd take it back for the credit note so you can get something you love. You never know... something in the A/W10 collection might catch your eye. There are some gorgeous bits & bobs due to come out :biggrin:

Good luck!

Gosh, didn't know ebay AND paypal take a cut - that would be like 15- 20% then...
I am only selling an outlet bays so doubt would even make my money back.

I rang the York outlet and they said it would be okay to get a credit note, but couldn't use that credit note online and only in stores! I'm in the West Midlands so all outlets and stores are a trek for me.

Thankyou for all your help though! The lady in York did say there are hardly any Bays or E/W or Somerset range left and only odd colours and that my champagne Bays was very rare so should try and see if I like it. I asked if they had any champagne Mabels but they said very rare...

Maybe it's a matter of risk the credit note or keep the bag and if still don't like it , then sell it as used later on...?? At least that way I could justify losing money on re-selling!

Such a tricky one, especially as you don't live that close to the stores. On balance though, I think I'd also go for the credit note. Don't forget that it's valid for a whole 12 months, and I really think that if you have doubts now about the bag, it's only going to get worse sadly :sad: