Would you place a SO only HOPING that the funds would be available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Annie9999, you know what I mean! And, India, I was just having a bad night at work. Typical night, not enough nurses for the patients. All patients needing me at the same time. It really makes me crazy when my patients need me all at the same time - I'm only one person for crying out loud! Someone always has to suffer and that just kills me. Anyway, I will decide what to do today and I don't know if I'll tell or not!
i think it is unfortunate that you would not feel comfortable sharing your choice. i know what you do an think you totally deserve your bag- but all that is irrelevant.
the topic is regarding funds for special orders and somehow it has deteriorated into a discussion of values. i think all this moralizing is just another form of elitism. we all only know a small amount about each other and i would not assign any value judgement to anyones choices.
everyone seems to agree that the policy at hermes is no deposit and you can refuse at the time of delivery. i am waiting for a special order and that was indeed the policy for me.
so good luck making your decision and i would be happy to support your choice either way.

i think it is unfortunate that you would not feel comfortable sharing your choice. i know what you do an think you totally deserve your bag- but all that is irrelevant.
the topic is regarding funds for special orders and somehow it has deteriorated into a discussion of values. i think all this moralizing is just another form of elitism. we all only know a small amount about each other and i would not assign any value judgement to anyones choices.
everyone seems to agree that the policy at hermes is no deposit and you can refuse at the time of delivery. i am waiting for a special order and that was indeed the policy for me.
so good luck making your decision and i would be happy to support your choice either way.

Good post.

1. I think H should seriously consider taking a deposit for SOs. This keeps customers committed, and not punk with the ordering process. They are already doing this for diamond jewelry. So extend it to SOs for Birkins and Kellys!

2. I do not like the "refuse at time of delivery" escape route. For collectors who are waiting for their SOs, bear in mind that the team of craftsmen for SOs are the best, and most senior. When they work on one SO over another, that in itself deprioritizes the next bag in line. It's frustrating for collectors who wait for their SOs, whilst some others are so flippant about their choices. Please don't deprive others of getting their SOs, if you are not serious about yours. SO quotas are limited.

3. I do not approve of people who "test" their store relationship with Hermes, by testing how far they can go with placing their SOs.

Great post.

ITA!!! :tup:

Truly, it does not matter one whit what anyone else thinks of any of the decisions we make. Our choices are ours, and ours alone, to make.

ETA: Even if some choices end up being mistakes, it is our mistake to make.

We do not even need to justify our decisions to unrelated others---as Jane Austen wrote, "I am only resolved to act in that manner which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me."

Last edited:

:woohoo:

Hermes is a business with the end goal of making money.

If there was negative impact to the bottom line caused by customers passing on SO's, I am sure that Hermes would change the existing policy and require a deposit.

JMO :smile:

With that said, in answer to India's question - Yes, I would place a SO without having the $$$ sitting in the bank. That doesn't mean that I don't have a plan to have the $$$ available when the bag arrives. Even if delivery is earlier than anticipated. (again, JMO)

Last edited:
Cinderlala;

Truly, it does not matter one whit what anyone else thinks of any of the decisions we make. Our choices are ours, and ours alone, to make.

We do not even need to justify our decisions to unrelated others---as Jane Austen wrote, "I am only resolved to act in that manner which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me

My favorite author is JA and she is totally modern and timeless in her thinking. TIA, in the end, you have to live with yourself or as my DH says when making an important decision, "I have to be able to look at myself when I shave in the morning."

Thanks for enlightening me. I should have said. "...then I lost my job (a few months after placing the order). Now I have a new job." I was kind of surprised by India's comment about how could I think I deserved anything. Am I alone in this feeling. Does no one else believe they deserve good things when they live their lives the way they believe they should? I guess no one deserves a nice home, or food or clean water either. I feel like her post was kind of harsh. I don't think 64 is old, so I wasn't attacking anyone of that age. I was thinking something like 80. But now I guess I've offended all the 80+ year old posters on the forum. I'm 49 by the way. I've worked hard all my life and helped family and friends in every way I can. I guess when someone doesn't know another person personally they can say "just because one works hard doesn't mean they deserve anything, much less a luxury handbag" When do you deserve anything. I guess only rich spoiled celebutants like Paris Hilton deserve Hermes bags. Why even deserve Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Reading over this, I guess I should say I was offended by India's post. But maybe I'm just too sensitive.

As was I, Drew's girl, along with the follow-up sermons and life lessons too. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, and mine seems to align with yours. I've worked darn hard - no, make that damn hard; I've lived by the rules, and I'm responsible for myself and my own welfare.

I feel quite justified in believing that I "deserve" to have nice things if I want them and can afford to pay for them, as I've worked hard for that right.

The quoted "pursuit of happiness" is at best subjective. Happiness means something entirely different to each and every one of us. To some, pursuing happiness may mean a month on Martha's Vineyard; to someone else, it may, indeed, mean that SO Birkin, and to others it, may be something as simple as a quiet Sunday spent with friends or a good book. And all of those choices are 100% absolutely fine. No one should be judgemental in determining what happiness should or shouldn't be to anyone other than themselves.

I wish you all the best with your decision, and you do deserve whatever it is that will make your heart sing. I'm sure that you'll make the choice that is right for you and your family.

As was I, Drew's girl, along with the follow-up sermons and life lessons too. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, and mine seems to align with yours. I've worked darn hard - no, make that damn hard; I've lived by the rules, and I'm responsible for myself and my own welfare.

I feel quite justified in believing that I "deserve" to have nice things if I want them and can afford to pay for them, as I've worked hard for that right.

The quoted "pursuit of happiness" is at best subjective. Happiness means something entirely different to each and every one of us. To some, pursuing happiness may mean a month on Martha's Vineyard; to someone else, it may, indeed, mean that SO Birkin, and to others it, may be something as simple as a quiet Sunday spent with friends or a good book. And all of those choices are 100% absolutely fine. No one should be judgemental in determining what happiness should or shouldn't be to anyone other than themselves.

I wish you all the best with your decision, and you do deserve whatever it is that will make your heart sing. I'm sure that you'll make the choice that is right for you and your family.

:goodpost:

I agree with all of the above, and this has strayed away from the original question. I think some where just trying to be helpful saying that it is not a good idea to max out multiple CCs, but, if in the end that is what makes that person happy, just go for it! What makes one person happy does not mean it will make the next person happy! To Each their own, JMHO.

eta: and of course, it is not our place to judge anyone here since we don´t know anything about them. Posting on a public forum will indeed create reactions of all sorts, good and bad!

ITA!!! :tup:

We do not even need to justify our decisions to unrelated others---as Jane Austen wrote, "I am only resolved to act in that manner which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me."

Oooh, I love this quote. I need to jot it down. Thanks for feeding my brain! :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.