Would you place a SO only HOPING that the funds would be available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew'sgirl, I hope you're able to see clearly tomorrow morning and realize that a Birkin isn't worth the financial stress you'd be putting on yourself and possibly your marriage. If your DH is aware of your SO, consider letting him know that you're going to pass it up. Your sensible action and his appreciation of your sensitivity to his feelings may bring you more than a little of that "happy" now and in the future. It may not be in the form of a Birkin at present but in a closer partnership with your DH.

Regarding selling your two Birkins to fund your HG Birkin, unless you've got buyers lined up with funds in hand it's best not to count on being able to turn those Birkins into ready cash.

Drew'sgirl, I hope you're able to see clearly tomorrow morning and realize that a Birkin isn't worth the financial stress you'd be putting on yourself and possibly your marriage. If your DH is aware of your SO, consider letting him know that you're going to pass it up. Your sensible action and his appreciation of your sensitivity to his feelings may bring you more than a little of that "happy" now and in the future. It may not be in the form of a Birkin at present but in a closer partnership with your DH.

Regarding selling your two Birkins to fund your HG Birkin, unless you've got buyers lined up with funds in hand it's best not to count on being able to turn those Birkins into ready cash.

Totally agree. Never get yourself in debt. It's only going to build up. You are lucky to have 2 birkins already. It's a handbag. It should be enjoyed..and not cause any stress in your life, let alone stress in your marriage.

Just remember, birkin will always be there. It will be really silly to live in debt for a handbag. There's other ways to make yourself more fulfilled and happy. And always remember, what you are doing might not feel glamourous, it is one of the most respected.

To answer the original question: For me my word is my bond, and placing a SO is like a contract.. I wouldn't order if I wasn't certain I would have the money.

However if the time came, and I was in financial difficulties, I would have a hard time breaking that agreement even if it meant depleting my much needed funds or putting the bag on a credit card.

I doubt if I will ever be in this predicament since I will probably never place a SO.

I'm with Florasun on this.. I would only place an SO if I had the funds earmarked for it at the time I place it. Since it is being made specially for me, I would feel weird if I don't take it when it eventually comes.

For POs however, I have no qualms about declaring an interest in a color and not having funds to buy it because after all, it is meant to just be general store inventory.

I don't know where the idea came from that I am unemployed, but I am very much employed. I am just not finding much fullfillment in it right now. I am at work right now. I don't know what's wrong with saying I deserve something nice. I think if one works hard and is a good person, one deserves to have whatever makes one happy. That doesn't just apply to me, but everyone!

I did just that - although I thought I could save up the money over the year it was estimated that it would take to make - then I lost my job. Now my special order is here. I called yesterday and they told me. Now I have the unenviable task of deciding if I want to put it on my credit cards - multiple ones, not just one - or refuse it. I don't want to refuse it. That just breaks my heart, but buying it would "max me out". I am really struggling with this decision and I only have a day or two to decide. I'm just a white collar worker - a nurse - not rich at all. I just love birkins and the two I have now, I put on credit cards. My husband is not very understanding of my champagne tastes, so to speak. But if I didn't go into debt to get the things I wanted then I would never have them, or I would be so old when I got them that I wouldn't care anymore. I guess I'm stupid, but I just can't help myself.

here is where the idea of you being unemployed came from:smile:

Thanks for enlightening me. I should have said. "...then I lost my job (a few months after placing the order). Now I have a new job." I was kind of surprised by India's comment about how could I think I deserved anything. Am I alone in this feeling. Does no one else believe they deserve good things when they live their lives the way they believe they should? I guess no one deserves a nice home, or food or clean water either. I feel like her post was kind of harsh. I don't think 64 is old, so I wasn't attacking anyone of that age. I was thinking something like 80. But now I guess I've offended all the 80+ year old posters on the forum. I'm 49 by the way. I've worked hard all my life and helped family and friends in every way I can. I guess when someone doesn't know another person personally they can say "just because one works hard doesn't mean they deserve anything, much less a luxury handbag" When do you deserve anything. I guess only rich spoiled celebutants like Paris Hilton deserve Hermes bags. Why even deserve Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Reading over this, I guess I should say I was offended by India's post. But maybe I'm just too sensitive.

^^^
remember that there are as many views on reading a post as there are posters, and sometimes wording gets misinterpreted because the reader does not know what the poster is actually implying by her/his use of words. Words can be very easily misread on the internet. I think you meant it in a good way of course, but you already have two Birkins where as many people don´t even have one.

Most of us deserve all that we can possibly want and enjoy in life, but it is not wise to put yourself into maximum debt buying your HG having to max out your credit cards IMO. I am happy that you have gotten yourself a new job, that is really what is important, and not that you buy a bag you really cannot afford at this time. Wait and try to save up, I am sure your SA will understand if you decline your bag. Good luck,

Kat

Drew'sgirl, I think one has to do what's best for them at the time. I try so hard not to judge other's decisions as I'm not 'walking in their shoes'. I do think that life doesn't need to have so much stress, especially in situations that we can somewhat control. Hermes is a glorious 'addiction' but shouldn't be a stressful one.

I would only order an SO, if I knew I had the funds available at the time of ordering. I would then out that money aside until the bag arrives. For me personally, I could not order something if I couldn't pay for it tomorrow if it turned up.It is so difficult to know what will happen in the prevailing months waiting for your SO to arrive and for me personally it would cause too much worry and stress knowing I had to ensure I saved the money up in time

Drew'sgirl, I'm sorry if I offended you. I just have a BIG problem with the term "deserve". To me, "deserve" and "entitled" are very closely related and I have trouble with both. We talk in the US Declaration of Independence about "inalienable rights". I believe ALL mankind deserves/is entitled to these. Anything we get above this by hard work or sheer luck is a blessing. Most people work very hard their entire lives and yet never have any luxury items. I do believe if someone has the means (has taken care of housing and educating their children and is financially responsible), then they have the right to buy whatever they desire and should feel no guilt for doing so. But most never are able to be responsible and have enough left over for truly luxurious items.

When I was divorced at age 32 and had two very young children and meagre child support and alimony, I had to learn ways to "pamper" myself without it costing much money. I found innumerable ways - a hot soak in the tub with good soap after the children were asleep, cozying up with a good book and a down comforter, lunch (that I packed myself) in the park with a good friend - these were just a few. As I had more means, I added slipping into bed at night onto good sheets that were ironed. Ah, bliss!

Most of us have so many blessings bestowed on us in life - a good marriage, children, family, friends. I believe we must never forget to be grateful for these blessings, and blessings they are. If these blessings include wealth/financial comfort that allows for the purchase of luxury items, then that's just frosting on the cake.

Those of us on tpf love this brand. Hermes makes many beautiful things. But they are a luxury that most can't even fathom ever owning, and those who can't must find other ways to feel "special"/"rewarded" for their hard labors. Going into debt to buy "things" that make one feel this way is a fleeting satisfaction. And putting stress on ones marriage in order to have them is just not worth it.

I am truly sorry that your job is not satisfying to you. I watched my father work for 42 years in a frustrating, unsatisfying environment (many of those years during the depression when he was lucky to have ANY job!), and it does take a toll. He turned to various hobbies for greater fulfillment, as a career change was impossible.

A few people are blessed to have jobs/careers that they truly enjoy and would feel diminished if they could not do each day; most of us are relegated to working at jobs that are not too difficult to get out of bed each morning and go to, but could be left behind in the blink of an eye if one won the lottery. It is part of life's great unfairness.

I hope you are able to find more satisfaction in your job - it's hard to do ones best when it's unpleasant. But in the end, virtue must be its own reward.

In all honesty I don't believe in blessings....I believe that most people work damn hard and earn everything they have. I also think that some peoples idea of luxury is totally at odds with others

My parents idea of luxury is vintage sportscars and handmade furtniture while their friends prefer multiple far flung holidays

As for the orginal question about SO's....I have no problem with this. We all have an idea of how long an SO takes to come in and if you can save within those constraints than why not

After all, who are we to judge on other peoples lives

In all honesty I don't believe in blessings....I believe that most people work damn hard and earn everything they have. I also think that some peoples idea of luxury is totally at odds with others

My parents idea of luxury is vintage sportscars and handmade furtniture while their friends prefer multiple far flung holidays

As for the orginal question about SO's....I have no problem with this. We all have an idea of how long an SO takes to come in and if you can save within those constraints than why not

After all, who are we to judge on other peoples lives

ITA!!! I'm sure when SO orders are placed that they are done so in good faith and when finances are good,as with many things in life this can change in a heartbeat and hard descisions have to be made,wether the money was saved and ready or not it may have to go for a more pressing need at the last minute.This is the kind of thing in life you just cannot legislate for.

And as for blessings,life is what we make it sometimes and we all have different ideas of them,wether it is palatable to another person or not. I belive that if you feel you deserve something,its a personal choice on what that reason is.

I don't know where the idea came from that I am unemployed, but I am very much employed. I am just not finding much fullfillment in it right now. I am at work right now. I don't know what's wrong with saying I deserve something nice. I think if one works hard and is a good person, one deserves to have whatever makes one happy. That doesn't just apply to me, but everyone!
i worked for a long time as a nurse and i totally think you deserve your hg.

Status
Not open for further replies.