Would you pay over retail for older series chanel?

milkrun

Jul 24, 2018
Just curious, for older bags (eg. 13 series 15 series) would you pay current retail prices or slightly lower for them? Or would you rather get brand new / newer series?

I'm just wondering how some sellers can sell older series bags at near to current retail prices when it costs them so much lesser when they got it years back?
And why would buyers buy them?

Not referring to vintage bags!

I'd expect an older series to be at a lesser price than a new, even in perfect condition; unless it is a super rare color or from a special collection. Just remember that a listing price is just that, you won't always know the final sales price for a private item - people can list for whatever they want.

Reactions: AnastasiaRuth
That really depends if that older model is a highly in demand model.I recently bought an older 19s series at a premium over retail because it was one such bag. Was the pink irredesent CF.
If it's not I feel like getting a newer edition in store is better.:yes:

It's always about demand and supply. If Chanel doesn't make that leather, hardware or color anymore, then of course they are going for above retail in preloved market. I think certain colors are harder to come by and more rare. One example I can give you is iridescent from 19S. They are definitely going above retail right now. Beige, red or grey cf from past season can also go for above retail. There are so many shades and we all like different ones. I prefer a true red but some might want red with a hint of orange. I prefer to pay retail if I can get them at the store brand new but some color is not available right now.

i hate it, but I would and most likely will pay over retail for older series bags. theres a few that I’ve been stalking (most importantly a 226 so black chevron reissue, not aged), and so far the closest match I’ve found on a reputable site is a 225 for $6800. I don't remember the price exactly but I believe it was under $5k back then. And new reissues are over $7k so that prob increases the price.

I definitely will not pay more than RRP, maybe about 40 to 60% retail. I gravitate towards preloved for bags and the only exception for brand new is SLGs. I do think that in America, the preloved prices are very high especially fashionphile. I'm in Australia.

Case in point, I bought a 13 series single flap jumbo (caviar/ghw) for about US$2100 when the pandamic hit (around March 2020), and prices suddenly dropped but Chanel had yet to increase their prices. There was no card and receipt so I asked for a US$600 discount, I had it authenticated, and she was desperate enough to sell it. Don't know what the RRP was at that time.

Also at the same time (March 2020) I bought a 16 series Chanel Clutch with Chain (caviar/shw) for around US$2200 with receipt. The RRP was around US$3100 in 2012.

In December 2019, I bought a 28 series medium flap (caviar/ghw) in brand new condition with full receipts and packaging for US$4100. The seller bought it in Europe, so with the VAT refund, she sold it at almost the price she paid for.

Reactions: AnastasiaRuth
I definitely will not pay more than RRP, maybe about 40 to 60% retail. I gravitate towards preloved for bags and the only exception for brand new is SLGs. I do think that in America, the preloved prices are very high especially fashionphile. I'm in Australia.

Case in point, I bought a 13 series single flap jumbo (caviar/ghw) for about US$2100 when the pandamic hit (around March 2020), and prices suddenly dropped but Chanel had yet to increase their prices. There was no card and receipt so I asked for a US$600 discount, I had it authenticated, and she was desperate enough to sell it. Don't know what the RRP was at that time.

Also at the same time (March 2020) I bought a 16 series Chanel Clutch with Chain (caviar/shw) for around US$2200 with receipt. The RRP was around US$3100 in 2012.

In December 2019, I bought a 28 series medium flap (caviar/ghw) in brand new condition with full receipts and packaging for US$4100. The seller bought it in Europe, so with the VAT refund, she sold it at almost the price she paid for.

wow you got really lucky because now everything is supppppeeerrrr expensive. So expensive that I might as well buy new from the boutique.