Would you pay for a Hermes Vintage Bag?

gwentan

O.G.
Dec 31, 2008
I have been searching online for my first Hermes Kelly and Birkin and I came upon a Hermes Kelly Black Box 28 with a W circle at a reasonable price. The bag has some scratches on the front. Can it be removed or repaired by professional? I am still considering whether to go for it. I was told that vintage Hermes tends to have dry leather. I would really need some advice. :biggrin:

Gosh, there are so many threads on this. I am out the door but you should search for more information. There are some amazing vintage bags, and some dry ones. You really cant make a generalization. Hermes does amazing things with box leather. But if the bag is actually cracked, these parts cannot be re-vitalized. Up to a point, dryness can be handled easily.

You have to be careful, but yes, the right bag, absolutely, I would buy.

Search here for vintage, spa, box boxcalf, refurbish, etc. good luck.

I have been searching online for my first Hermes Kelly and Birkin and I came upon a Hermes Kelly Black Box 28 with a W circle at a reasonable price. The bag has some scratches on the front. Can it be removed or repaired by professional? I am still considering whether to go for it. I was told that vintage Hermes tends to have dry leather. I would really need some advice. :biggrin:

Post it in the authenticate this Hermes thread first to make sure its the real thing. Some scratches and marks can be removed but not all, it depends. Faint surface scratches might be improved with a spa treatment and eventually blend with the patina of the leather, deeper ones which penetrate into the leather might be permanent. If you buy it, send it for a spa treatment at Hermes to see what can be done. Some vintage Kellys do have dry leather, watch out for cracking and insist on clear photos before you buy and the right to return should the condition not be what you expect. Don't expect a brand new bag but there are plenty of vintage bags in spectacular condition.

W in a circle is not that old so you may get lucky. Some of my favorite kellys are my older ones. I have one that is a 1975 Kelly that has the softest leather I have ever seen. Its like SILK and whenever I carry it I can't help but stroke the bag! No dryness at all.

"Vintage" and "dry" are not necessarily the same thing. I have a wonderful vintage bag (1974) and it is NOT dry. I recently saw a vintage Kelly (1960), and it also was not dry. But the really cheap vintage bags one sees from time to time on ebay are often very dry and there is nothing that can be done for that.

Charm is right - post any bag you're interested in on the Authenticate thread and also ask the expert ladies if it appears dry. They have amazingly sharp eyes!

Hi Ladies, Thanks for the advices. I did post it in the authenticate thread and was advised that it is dry and not a good thing. Well Hermes bags are such a huge temptation and yet I am trying to fit into my budget. Sad to say, i guess I have to save more to get something which is worth it.

I do buy vintage and have loved them one came right from the spa was cleaned and polished the other I am getting ready to send to the spa both bags are unbelievable one is 1953 piano and the other is a 35cm kelly I think from 1964 both are black lizard.

Don't go for a dry and beaten vintage bag just because you can't wait to get your first Hermes bag. In the long run, it's better to wait until your budget can get you one in better condition. That will end up being cheaper for you to have less things repaired and will last you much longer.

If our lovely authenticators say it's too dry, then by all means avoid it.

Reactions: sylphfae
There are some really stunning vintage Kelly's out there you just need to be careful when buying. Never buy one that is cracked or dry. Marks on the leather are bound to be there given the age of these babies so you must be ready to accept that. And if you do purchase a vintage beauty you will be in some great company!!!!

Luccibag ... love your kelly collection, I am drooling at your avatar :smile:

Oh yes yes, I would love to get a vintage kelly one day, have been searching for one made in my birth yr ...hehee

I love vintage bags. I have a vintage box Kelly and the leather is so soft and it's got a lovely patina. If you get a new bag, it would take many years to get that. When I took mine in for a spa treatment, the manager commented on the higher quality of craftsmanship and leather of older bags. There's also a certain charm and mystery to older bags, knowing it's been around longer than you have and wondering what special occasions/events it has gone through. I also have a vintage croc Mephisto from the 60s. It is in excellent condition. I think a lot of times, people use these smaller croc bags only on special occasions, so the chances of getting a good condition bag is much higher than a Kelly which people tend to use more often. Be patient, for it's definitely not worth it if it's in dire condition with cracks, dryness, tears, stains, etc. Good luck!

I love vintage bags. I have a vintage box Kelly and the leather is so soft and it's got a lovely patina. If you get a new bag, it would take many years to get that. When I took mine in for a spa treatment, the manager commented on the higher quality of craftsmanship and leather of older bags. There's also a certain charm and mystery to older bags, knowing it's been around longer than you have and wondering what special occasions/events it has gone through. I also have a vintage croc Mephisto from the 60s. It is in excellent condition. I think a lot of times, people use these smaller croc bags only on special occasions, so the chances of getting a good condition bag is much higher than a Kelly which people tend to use more often. Be patient, for it's definitely not worth it if it's in dire condition with cracks, dryness, tears, stains, etc. Good luck!

I so agree with these comments:smile: