Would you mind checking my math?

uafly1

Nov 30, 2005
I am planning a trip to Paris in the near future. I am willing to lower my lodging standards in exchange for more money to spend on LV.

I was looking at a Damier Speedy 25 or an Epi Speedy 25 in Red.

According to www.louisvuitton.com

US Prices
Damier $ 675
EPI $ 995

France Prices
Damier 420 euro or $596 ( per www.xe.com)
EPI 615 euro or $873
I read that the Vat return is about 12%.

So if I were to buy the Epi Speedy here in Chicago, it would cost $1097 and if I were to buy it in Paris it would cost $ 769. If that is right that is a $328 saving. I know the dollar is getting stronger but my math seems to off somehow.

HELP!

I bought my Lockit Horizontal in Nice and it was quite a bit cheaper (this was last summer). I'd say between the price difference - dollar/euro - and the VAT return, I saved between $200 -$300. My VAT took forever to come, though - more like 4 months vs. 12 weeks. And don't forget to have it stamped at the airport customs!

In general, it is alot cheaper and worth the savings to buy in France. Of course, the actual amount depends on the exchange rate at the purchase time. It would be pointless to try to calculate an exact number now - try for a percentage saving (bag price less VAT) because as the dollar gets stronger, the less the bag costs in actual dollars.

That is Awesome!!!!!

Can someone explain to me what the VAT return it..? I am going to Paris in December and that would be a lovely reason to buy some Louies...

The VAT (Value Added Tax) is offered by most European countries, I *think* (I got it in Ireland, too) - it's like a return on "sales tax" - about 12%...make sure you ask for the form in the boutique, most SA's should know what you are talking about -and have it properly filled out there. Then at the airport, you have to have customs stamp it (very important) and you mail it in when you get home (supposedly they can give you cash right there at the airport, but in Nice they looked at me like I had two heads). It says it takes about 12 weeks for your refund but it took mine MUCH longer. Actually, it can be in check form or a credit on your charge card. Just keep in mind the customs limit, I think it's an allowance $800/person or $1600/couple before you have to pay customs tax. Have an awesome time!!!

I didn't do the math because I'm not sure what the taxes are in Chicago, but keep in mind the exchange rate going from dollars to euros isn't exactly what is listed on xe.com since the bank likes to make a little off your foreign exchange rates. But overall, looks like you can expect savings from $250 - $300!

If your going to Paris, look at the LV boutiques in the stores like Galleries Lafayette. I purchased a bag at the LV "mother" store and one at Galleries Lafayette. The VAT took forever from the LV store, but Galleries has a VAT return in the store so you drop off your paperwork there and I got the VAT back within 1 week of my return to the states.

The VAT (Value Added Tax) is offered by most European countries, I *think* (I got it in Ireland, too) - it's like a return on "sales tax" - about 12%...make sure you ask for the form in the boutique, most SA's should know what you are talking about -and have it properly filled out there. Then at the airport, you have to have customs stamp it (very important) and you mail it in when you get home (supposedly they can give you cash right there at the airport, but in Nice they looked at me like I had two heads). It says it takes about 12 weeks for your refund but it took mine MUCH longer. Actually, it can be in check form or a credit on your charge card. Just keep in mind the customs limit, I think it's an allowance $800/person or $1600/couple before you have to pay customs tax. Have an awesome time!!!

The Paris airport has mailboxes at customs to mail your forms. I suggest you not wait until you get home - things are lost.

The Paris airport has mailboxes at customs to mail your forms. I suggest you not wait until you get home - things are lost.

I sent it certified:P - believe me, I thought of that! I also didn't have stamps at the airport and was flustered.....language barrier n'all.....I took my chance. Good suggestion though!