Would you like to have a monkey as a pet?

orderandlaw

Oct 6, 2006
I always wanted one as a kid. Then I could carry it around on my shoulder and it would be my constant companion.

It seems like it would be neat, but in reality, I think it's wrong to have a wild animal as a pet.

When I was a kid a neighbor actually had several monkeys as pets. I think they were spider monkeys and they were domestically bred. Thing is they had to be kept in diapers if they were allowed to roam free in the house. You can't house-train monkeys. So she was constantly laundering and changing diapers just as if they were babies.

I've heard that chimps are suitable pets only when they're young. When they get older they tend to get mean and snarly, perhaps aware of their captivity and all the indignities thereof. ;)

When I was a kid a neighbor actually had several monkeys as pets. I think they were spider monkeys and they were domestically bred. Thing is they had to be kept in diapers if they were allowed to roam free in the house. You can't house-train monkeys. So she was constantly laundering and changing diapers just as if they were babies.

I've heard that chimps are suitable pets only when they're young. When they get older they tend to get mean and snarly, perhaps aware of their captivity and all the indignities thereof. ;)

:yes: there was a whole documentary on it. A few others as well.

Our neighbours owned a Rhesus Monkey (I think that is what it was - it was a very tiny one anyway) when we were living in Malaysia. It was very cute when in a one on one situation, but if anyone else came near you when it was grooming you, there was all hell to pay. It bit my mum on the hand so badly once when someone came near her, that she needed physio for months.

I've heard that chimps are suitable pets only when they're young. When they get older they tend to get mean and snarly, perhaps aware of their captivity and all the indignities thereof.
;)

Exactly. I watched a story on it on 60 minutes about americans with monkey pets that turn on their owners when they're older. They're wild animals. Also how most of the babies are obtained is done by shooting the mother with a tranquilizer dart and baby and bother are pulled away from each other, with each one screaming. That's what the report said anyway.