Would you have said something?

irish_clover

Nov 11, 2007
today I was at the salon looking at the nail polishes. I was the only person standing there and some old lady ( maybe in her 60's) walked up and wedged herself between me and the rack of polishes to get what she wanted. Her back literally brushed up against my chest and I had to step back.
she didn't say "excuse me" or anything like that.

I just backed up and waited till she was finished.. but I was thinking if it were someone in her 20's who did this I would have said something. It's because I was taught to respect older people that I did nothing...Then I got to thinking, why should I let someone push me around (literally) JUST because they are older? I remembered having a similar encounter with someone (also an older lady) at Taco time ( she walked off with my order on purpose knowing we had ordered the same thing because she didn't want to wait ( I was on a break at work which only lasted 30 min ) If something similar ever happened again I think I will say something next time. Is that bad?

What would you have done in a situation like this?

Last edited:
Next time, just say excuse me, I am looking here, but if you'd like to look also, I will be glad to share this space if you want,.

If that doesn't work, I'd push her back all the way out the door. :angel:

Next time, just say excuse me, I am looking here, but if you'd like to look also, I will be glad to share this space if you want,.

If that doesn't work, I'd push her back all the way out the door. :angel:

ahahahaa!! your freakin hilarious!!

I'd say, "Excuse you. Did you not see me standing here??
I've usually never gotten a response back.

However, I rarely say that. I usually just stand strong and NOT budge. Let her get all huffy puffy. Her fault for not being considerate saying, "Excuse me, can I see this please??"

today I was at the salon looking at the nail polishes. I was the only person standing there and some old lady ( maybe in her 60's) walked up and wedged herself between me and the rack of polishes to get what she wanted. Her back literally brushed up against my chest and I had to step back.

I just backed up and waited till she was finished.. but I was thinking if it were someone in her 20's who did this I would have said something. It's because I was taught to respect older people that I did nothing...Then I got to thinking, why should I let someone push me around (literally) JUST because they are older? I remembered having a similar encounter with someone (also an older lady) at Taco time ( she walked off with my order on purpose knowing we had ordered the same thing because she didn't want to wait ( I was on a break at work which only lasted 30 min ) If something similar ever happened again I think I will say something next time. Is that bad?

i forgot this part my bad. yah i think that sometimes i hold back because they are old, but honestly. why?? i got into it with DF's neighbor because she was being stupid saying i was blocking her driveway (i was 6 feet AWAY!) and she said if i ever did that again she would call the cops. and i told her to go ahead. if they towed my car, which i doubt because i was not blocking her and its public parking, but IF she did get them to tow, it would cost HER money because the city of millbrae will not tow off public property unless the car is visually unable to move. she told me i was rude, that was her come back. she then said would hit my car with her truck. i told her to go ahead, and i would just collect her money for the damages. she, "yah because your young, you sassy bit---" DF looked at her and she knew she better not finish that word or else he would have had to interfer. she then told me i have no respect for elders. i then told her how is it that I DONT HAVE RESPECT?? i didnt go off calling you names, you called me sassy which is practically a b*tch and you almost called me a b*tch in modern terms. she has not said sorry to me, but she has to DF. she said, "who is she anyways?? if thats your gf you can do a lot better, your a nice boy." DF replied, "Get over yourself, shes my fiance and we've been together for about 3 years, shes not going anywhere. Get over it." She left and has never said anything.

Just because their old don't mean squat. I treat you the way you treat me. Treat me respectfully I shall treat you the same way. Treat me like crap, I'll do the same! :yes: "Age aint nothing but a number" -Aalayiah

Well you could have said something but I have noticed that at least for me it´s so much easier to think afterwards what I should have said. Hmm.. A confusing sentence. In situations like that I´m usually quiet and then I get annoyed or angry later.

I would have simply said EXCUSE ME, and when she turned would have said, we're you never taught manners.
VERY rude of this person,and for the most part it would be a person of that age that would have sassy things to say if a 20 yr old did it to her. Like they had no manners or look at how they were brought up.

works both ways,

I would have said something. Matter of fact over the weekend I took my grandma grocery shopping and this guy bumped me (softly) with his cart when I turned and looked at him he didn't say excuse me or anything :cursing:
He just looked at me like "move outta the way". I said to him "I would appreciate if you not hit me with your cart, if you need to get by say excuse me" he looked pretty dumb after that. I couldn't believe it!

That could be just rude, manner-less behavior. I don't think it has anything to do with age.
However it could be a cultural difference with concept of personal space. I live in an area where people of a different culture than mine tend to push and crowd in. It is a matter of a different view of personal space. I still don't like it, but I understand. However, I don't let anyone cut in front of me. If that is the case, I say something.

Oh yeah. I would've said something to her. I usually say some like, "EXCUSE YOU" really loud so that they get the point.

I'm sick of rude people. Don't EVEN get me started about yesterday. My friend had a baby Sunday and my husband and I were excited to see him. We decided to stop by the local grocery store for one of those huge mylar balloons and flowers for my friend. The girl who waited on us in the florist department MUST have been off her meds. She was one of the rudest sales people I've ever run across. I LOST IT on her right in the middle of the store. I TRIED to be patient at first and stay in the right frame of mind but she just pushed my buttons. I bugged out. Then I reported her to the store manager who immediately called her to his office and wrote her up. THEN my husband complained to the store manager on the way out.

I hate rude people.