Would you go to Hong Kong or Tokyo for 4 days?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. There are some amazing sales on flights to both cities and I have a short break in October. Contemplating springing for one. Never been to either city (I have an overnight layover in Tokyo later this year).

Would you do the flight for such a short trip?

Which city?

2. I wouldn't do that distance for less than week or 2, personally.
    But, would not spend entire time in 1 city either.

Depends how comfortable you are with jetlag, imo.
    And cost versus benefits for trip.

3. If it's part of a longer trip then yes. I have done short stays in HK and Tokyo and it's fine. You won't to able to do all the things you want but if you have a clear plan to a few places you want to see then it is possible. There's so much to see and do for all interests. Pretty much like most major cities, you need to either stay a very long time to fully experience it or do several short multiple trips over time. IMO if you want more of a cultural experience consider Kyoto or Osaka.

It is about an 9hr direct flight time from the west coast. If you are fine with flying such times and jeglag doesn't affect you as much then it is possible.

4. I haven't been to Hong Kong but my DH and I did Tokyo in about 3.5 days last year and saw everything we wanted to. We are very fast tourists (I don't need to spend 2 hours at a shrine - just a photo op and quick tour!). We also prepped for weeks before to make sure we had transportation down between the areas we wanted to go. We also hate "lazy" vacations so we went from early morning to late evening and slept on the plane! So it all depends on what you want to do. Tokyo, IMO, is very doable for a 1st visit in that time!

5. As remainsilly asked, how are you with jetlag? I'm bad, so a quick trip to London is the most I can handle. Dh has been to both cities--he didn't care for Tokyo, but loves anything Chinese. Hong Kong would be fascinating, IMO, tho it's nothing like the rest of China.

6. Thanks all!!! I haven't experienced jet lag in that direction. I always fly to Europe and I'm ok by day 2 (arrival day can be tough). I'm heading to Australia next month and am curious to see how bad the jet lag is.

7. It's a tie for me - love both cities, each for different reasons.

@twiggers, I used to do a lot of travel US-->Asia and found the jet lag going this way not too terrible. Coming back though, ouch.

ccbaggirl89 likes this.
  8. Tokyo handsdown! So much more to see and do! Hong Kong is mostly shopping and eating :smile:

9. That is what I hear. A good friend is from Japan and she said the return jet lag to the US is awful! I have two days to recover before the semester starts :biggrin:

10. If you're there for less than a week, you'll be fine. :smile:

11. I'm there for nearly 3 weeks :/

12. Oh, got it. The thread title says 4 days so that's what I thought. Yeah, you'll feel the effects coming back to the US then.

13. I thought the same.

14. Me, also.
    Thought meant flying from US, to either location, & back. Within span of 4 days.

15. Just saw this today. Interesting study on why jet lag sucks so much more when flying east: http://gizmodo.com/we-finally-know-why-jetlag-is-much-worse-flying-east-1783580548

We Finally Know Why Jet Lag Is Much Worse Flying East
    Sophie Kleeman

Jet lag is objectively terrible. It grants no immunity and bends to no form of treatment, unless “consuming an entire bottle of liquor and popping a few Ambien” is considered treatment. (It’s not.) But according to conventional wisdom, some kinds of jet lag are worse than others—traveling east, for example, is harder on the sleep cycle than traveling west. As it turns out, conventional wisdom is largely correct.

According to a new study published in the journal Chaos from researchers at the University of Maryland, our natural circadian rhythm actually clocks in around 24.5 hours—a little more than a day. This extra slice of time makes it easier to travel in a direction that lengthens the day—west—than to travel in a direction that shortens the day—east.

Our circadian rhythm is regulated by brain cells located in the suprachiasmatic nucleus, which is found in the hypothalamus. In normal conditions, these cells move in a synchronized pattern controlled by regular exposure to light. During travel, however, this exposure is thrown off—which results in jet lag.

To test the conditions associated with jet lag, researchers used a mathematical model to simulate what happens to these brain cells during travel. The model produced results that matched up with the conventionally held east-west dichotomy: It would take a person a little less than four days to recover from a trip in which they passed westward through three time zones; six time zones takes about six days; and nine time zones takes roughly eight days.

For those traveling east, however, the recovery periods were longer: three time zones takes a bit more than four days; six time zones takes about eight days; and nine time zones eats up 12 days. (Don’t go to Australia, probably!)

But given that everyone has a different internal clock—some of us run on fewer than 24 hours, some of us run on more—each person recovers from jet lag differently. “Our model suggests that the difference between a person’s natural period and 24 hours controls how they experience jet lag,” study author Michelle Girvan, an associate professor of physics at the University of Maryland, said in a statement.