Would you gals consider Chanel vinyls?

discomom

O.G.
May 20, 2008
I'd like to take a survey if you fashionistas consider getting or NOT getting chanel Vinyl bags.. (eg. quilted vinyl tote; La Marais; coated canvas) and pay at least $2K for them? i already own a Jumbo Caviar.. and want something different but wondering if Vinyl bags can hold weight in them and be durable too?

Please help me decide.
Thanks. (newbie to chanel collection...)

No. No. No.

I would not buy a vinyl bag. They're plasticky and sqeaky. I would save up some more and buy an honest-to-goodness leather Chanel bag.

Um, no offense to TPFers who like and buy them. :smile:

Not a fan of vinyl (in general)...even if it's from Chanel. I'd rather save up my $$$ to buy a classic leather Chanel bag. But if you love it, then go for it. That's all that matters. To each her own...

Thats what my dear hubby said... long ago - looking at non-leather prada purses.. and he said if you're getting high end -- you might as well get good leather.. thanks ladies..! makes perfect sense.. now i'm on the hunt for the Black Chanel nature flap!! --- for travel and diaper bag..!

i want a vinyl only to wear for rainy days. i want something thatll match my camellia boots. if you're going to go to the beach or out in the rain and want to look stylish sure why not but other than that id say go for caviar.

Yes! Vinyl is great for rainy days and so light. I loved my old rock flap. I know lots of people are not crazy about vinyl bags because they perceive less bang for the buck but vinyl tends to be a lot less than leather price-wise (prolly at least 1k difference) so I think it's ok. For example, a leather woc can cost almost $1500 now and you can get a vinyl bag for less than $2k? Not too bad, I think.

Also, I happen to love Prada nylon too (so light). I can't overstate how great the lack of weight is in a bag cause a bag can really start to weigh a lot.

Finally, it's not like Chanel leather is exceptionally good these days... with all the quality issues some people have had (including me). So I guess the conclusion is that vinyl is just as good as leather bags and in fact, has some advantages. I guess it should come down to personal preference?? Hah hah.

Oops. Just read that you've decided against the vinyl! :P

Last edited:
i'm also not that into vinyl bags like the other ladies here, but prada nylon bags are a total different story! i love using them for school or on rainning days. i think they're really casual looking and come in fun colors. and the light weight is definitely a plus. but for chanels though... i will try to get leather bags since they're all so expensive, might as well just get them in leather. prada nylon bags are much cheaper than their leather bags.

i have a vinyl & denim cabas, love both :love: i dont have any problem with my vinyl. infact its a great shopping bag where you can dump all your goodies in the bag :biggrin: its also a great bag when you go out with the kids.

I had a jumbo vinyl flap in gradient grey w/shw...the Melrose flap from 08. It was a great stylish rainy day Chanel. I'm sorry now I no longer have her and truly wish I kept her around.