Would you ever see yourself hiring a personal stylist?

and why is that? Are they that expensive? or you don´t feel "special" enough? I mean we go to the hairdresser, the beautician etc...
I thought about this a lot and researched several stylists in my country. Unfortunately, most of them were too 'modern' for me. I didn't like what they styled or the photos of their clients. Stylists have to go with trends an many of the current trends are not my style (high waisted trousers, mom jeans, oversized blazers, double breasted blazers, midi dresses, all these wifey romantic dresses, everything from the eighties). I see myself buying things I don't like just because there is nothing left I like in the stores and I don't want to disappoint the stylist. Also the offline stores often don't have my sizes so I would have to make compromises...

So actually i feel kind of too special in my requirements...

Also, I think hiring a stylist could be a good investment. Because I wouldn't research anymore, had more time etc. - so it is not about the money.

Last edited:
I thought about this a lot and researched several stylists in my country. Unfortunately, most of them were too 'modern' for me. I didn't like what they styled or the photos of their clients. Stylists have to go with trends an many of the current trends are not my style (high waisted trousers, mom jeans, oversized blazers, double breasted blazers, midi dresses, all these wifey romantic dresses, everything from the eighties). I see myself buying things I don't like just because there is nothing left I like in the stores and I don't want to disappoint the stylist. Also the offline stores often don't have my sizes so I would have to make compromises...

So actually i feel kind of too special in my requirements...

Also, I think hiring a stylist could be a good investment. Because I wouldn't research anymore, had more time etc. - so it is not about the money.
Yes I see your point, and I didn’t think about that. As I tend to go with the trends and think that everyone else wants to do the same. But I also believe in first and foremost getting the staples, the things you need and that just don’t go out of style like ever...I was reading Garance Doré’s book she wrote years ago « love, style, life ». I think it was 2013, and she lists the things we need in our wardrobe. Trench, blazer, pencil skirt, pumps, ballerinas...it hasn’t changed! But I see the cut and style changes...as u say high waist jeans and oversized blazer. Lol at the wifey romantic dresses haha I cant either Eventhough I gave in and bought one summer dress from Rouje.
But I researched stylists in my country too and no way I’d want them lol. I’m so picky.

Reactions: CathMc and HiromiT
Yes I see your point, and I didn’t think about that. As I tend to go with the trends and think that everyone else wants to do the same. But I also believe in first and foremost getting the staples, the things you need and that just don’t go out of style like ever...I was reading Garance Doré’s book she wrote years ago « love, style, life ». I think it was 2013, and she lists the things we need in our wardrobe. Trench, blazer, pencil skirt, pumps, ballerinas...it hasn’t changed! But I see the cut and style changes...as u say high waist jeans and oversized blazer. Lol at the wifey romantic dresses haha I cant either Eventhough I gave in and bought one summer dress from Rouje.
But I researched stylists in my country too and no way I’d want them lol. I’m so picky.
I wrote in the thread 'who are you stylewise' that I wanted some change in my wardrobe - being more grown up, more professional. And I'd loved to have someone by my side as kind of an ally, who truly tells me, what looks good on me. But I felt, whenever I read their profiles, they often tend to talk about 'problem zones' (Idk if this is the right word) or plus sizes. But it is not that I'd want to hide anything, I'd like to look my best, which is a difference in my opinion.
Rouje certainly has great dresses, they are not wifey at all :smile: I like rouje a lot, but they're not here and I hesitate to order them online. Last year they had a great pepita dress.

If I were moving to a new country or starting a brand new job, it would be a good idea. I think I’d need a good budget and a very specific brief: ie dressing for this job in London, day wear plus some evening outfits. Places like Liberty they have personal shoppers who are also stylists and excellent at putting things together. You don’t have to buy everything new, but you could say use some shoes or a belt or something you already own as a starting point.
like anything the ability to give the stylist a clear brief is helpful.

Reactions: limom and mellecyn
I’d consider hiring one for a special occasion, say, if I needed to find a dress for my daughter’s wedding which won’t happen for decades (if it does) LOL. But I personally wouldn’t hire one to revamp my everyday wardrobe. I love shopping and the thrill of the hunt. Besides, with so much inspiration in social media and blogs, I’m frequently discovering looks and trends that will freshen my wardrobe.

I happen to follow a few personal stylists in my hometown and although I love how they look personally, I don’t always agree with their styling tips. It’s like they are pulling things for an editorial shoot as opposed to dressing an average person. I mean, paper-bag waist pants???

Reactions: limom and mellecyn
I wrote in the thread 'who are you stylewise' that I wanted some change in my wardrobe - being more grown up, more professional. And I'd loved to have someone by my side as kind of an ally, who truly tells me, what looks good on me. But I felt, whenever I read their profiles, they often tend to talk about 'problem zones' (Idk if this is the right word) or plus sizes. But it is not that I'd want to hide anything, I'd like to look my best, which is a difference in my opinion.
Rouje certainly has great dresses, they are not wifey at all :smile: I like rouje a lot, but they're not here and I hesitate to order them online. Last year they had a great pepita dress.
Im totally with you on this, and someone should be able to guide you truthfully. My mother used to get angry inside whenever they witnessed a SA lying to a customer saying that clothes suited her when it did not. My mom is a good ally lol but she lives in another country.
Rouje isn’t here either so I just took a chance and ordered online :smile: they have measurements on their website to help.

If I were moving to a new country or starting a brand new job, it would be a good idea. I think I’d need a good budget and a very specific brief: ie dressing for this job in London, day wear plus some evening outfits. Places like Liberty they have personal shoppers who are also stylists and excellent at putting things together. You don’t have to buy everything new, but you could say use some shoes or a belt or something you already own as a starting point.
like anything the ability to give the stylist a clear brief is helpful.
Yes. I also wondered about stylists within a department store and I would definetky trust high end ones like Liberty but also wonder how they can know me and if they would push too much for me to buy everything and empty my wallet there....

Reactions: ladysarah
Just some thoughts:

Personally NO. I wouldn't even let my mother choose my clothes (unless I agreed) from about the age of 4, so I wouldn't employ a stranger. If I felt stuck I'd wear a LBD (my default) until inspiration hit me again. I also have stylish friends that give me great advice.

I think if someone needed a new wardrobe for a new life, new climate, weight loss (or gain) or just felt stuck it would be totally worth it, if they could find the right person to work with. Not all personal stylists are equal, I suppose the danger is (like anything major) is could be a huge disappointment and/or a really expensive mistake.

As @HiromiT mentioned, people feel their most vulnerable dressing for a special occasion and will hire a stylist. That's actually when I'd say it's the most risky to employ someone you never met before.

Many ladies (or gents) 'suddenly' feel their wardrobes/look's dated and just want to update. A stylist that can work with what's already in someone's wardrobe could actually save that person money. A kind of 21 century ladies maid. The problem is that many 'stylists' get % back from their recommendations, introductions and affiliations, very few are actually totally independent.

I personally, have a style brief every season. Sometimes it's on-trend, other times far from it. This Summer it's all floral, flowing and maxi, it blends Victoriana, 1930s, and 'hippy' artists of the late 1960s/'70s. That's easy this Summer even though I bought my only dress and silk blouses in the sale earlier in the year. Last Summer was far more minimal and abstract. Sometimes, it's just a case of wearing the same things in different ways or with different things. I have most of the things I need for my 'collections' already (or know what I need).

If people are in need of free (or free-er) advice and/or new clothes (in more normal times) they can take advantage of personal shoppers at department stores for one-off sprees. They can also show how to wear the clothes and what with. If someone has an existing item that's hard to style the person just brings it with.

If someone has a fair amount of money to spend they can get ongoing client advisors for free with many other benefits from online stores/distributers like Farfetch. I think VIP is currently £10K per annum (no idea $) that can include jewellery, accessories, RTW, vintage, and these things can add-up (no need to say check out the price of bags on this forum). So if someone is already close to spending that kind of money they'd get a professional helping them almost 24/7 all year round +.
Very interesting insights.
Which reminds me there are even theses fashion subscriptions boxes where they also put in the data of what you return so they can figure your style out better.
What is a « style brief »? Something for yourself to use or do you edit it as part of a trends agency for clients?

Reactions: poulinska
I have a friend who is not interested in fashion: She goes to one boutique twice a year and just lets the SA choose everything. It looks good on her but there are a lot of pieces I wouldn't wear - maybe because I am much pickier. So giving a good briefing to a stylist would be one of the problems, I guess. The good thing is: My closet is quite full, there are not much things I need. Especially now, where I wfh most of the time...

Which reminds me there are even theses fashion subscriptions boxes where they also put in the data of what you return so they can figure your style out better.
What is a « style brief »? Something for yourself to use or do you edit it as part of a trends agency for clients?

Yes, that's so true. The subscriptions would be a good alternative in terms of buying. I think people who hire a personal stylist are sometimes looking on advice on how to actually wear the clothes/trends too though.

Oh, the brief's are my own, and I just go with my heart (I have to read a lot of fashion magazines/blogs etc, both new and old for work, so I'm sure some of that seeps in unconsciously too). I had to lead an entire project on the history of Yves Saint Laurent /YSL/SLP last season (AW19/20) and so you can bet there was a lot of influence from that. Around January I just became fixated on silk and flow and all things tiered or bell-shape so I knew where I needed to go for SS20.

I don't know these subscription boxes? What is it? I only know curated online shopping which I tried four times with small success...