Would you ever see yourself hiring a personal stylist?

I did hire a stylist several years ago. Ended up being waste of money. A couple days later I returned several of the items she'd pushed me to buy. A couple more I later wished I'd returned. There were a few great pieces, but overall not worth the money. Id specifically asked for help finding some date clothes. The pieces were fancy, but not my style. Necklines too low. Clothes too tight. Her response, "If your current style was working, you wouldn't have hired me. I'm here to elevate your style." She had a totally valid point, but... If a guy only asked me on a second date due to the clothes - well, after a few dates when I ran out of my 'new' clothes and worse my normal ones he'd be disappointed. She'd said that now she'd given me a start I could make these new items my new 'style', (or, of course, she'd be happy to continue as my stylist...) but it just wasn't comfortable for me. The shoes, literally. When I mentioned that about two pairs of shoes... "We'll you'll only wear them for a few hours on a date, and you can kick them off under the table while you eat." Uh... One pair I returned, one I wore a couple times and wish I'd returned.

I looked at several instragram profiles and chose her, because she was not so trendy but more oriented towards an wardrobe that is versatile and elegant. Most of the stylists had profiles with ill-fitting clothes because they are trendy: I decided not to choose a stylist with paperbag pants, ugly sneakers, pleated long skirts, shackets... all of these trends are not for me.

She gave me a list of five items that I could shop immediately with links but she also gave me a list of my wardrobe and marked the things that are missing. Those were especially shoes (because I recently feet surgery and threw all my old shoes away) and some items in navy. She also prioritized, what to buy now and what can wait until i find it by chance.

Reactions: limom and mellecyn
I did hire a stylist several years ago. Ended up being waste of money. A couple days later I returned several of the items she'd pushed me to buy. A couple more I later wished I'd returned. There were a few great pieces, but overall not worth the money. Id specifically asked for help finding some date clothes. The pieces were fancy, but not my style. Necklines too low. Clothes too tight. Her response, "If your current style was working, you wouldn't have hired me. I'm here to elevate your style." She had a totally valid point, but... If a guy only asked me on a second date due to the clothes - well, after a few dates when I ran out of my 'new' clothes and worse my normal ones he'd be disappointed. She'd said that now she'd given me a start I could make these new items my new 'style', (or, of course, she'd be happy to continue as my stylist...) but it just wasn't comfortable for me. The shoes, literally. When I mentioned that about two pairs of shoes... "We'll you'll only wear them for a few hours on a date, and you can kick them off under the table while you eat." Uh... One pair I returned, one I wore a couple times and wish I'd returned.

This was something I was afraid of - just having a stylist that doesn't take my recent style into account and pressures me into buying things. By doing it online I didn't have the pressure.

Reactions: JenJBS
I looked at several instragram profiles and chose her, because she was not so trendy but more oriented towards an wardrobe that is versatile and elegant. Most of the stylists had profiles with ill-fitting clothes because they are trendy: I decided not to choose a stylist with paperbag pants, ugly sneakers, pleated long skirts, shackets... all of these trends are not for me.

She gave me a list of five items that I could shop immediately with links but she also gave me a list of my wardrobe and marked the things that are missing. Those were especially shoes (because I recently feet surgery and threw all my old shoes away) and some items in navy. She also prioritized, what to buy now and what can wait until i find it by chance.
Would you mind sharing the stylist?
Pm if needed.

I would love a stylist for a really specific purpose. I have a clear sense of style, and am pretty good at putting outfits together. My biggest problem is finding the right pieces. I am at the pesky purgatory size of 16-18 US, and find that the fits/cuts of exclusively plus brands don't often work well on me. And the other problem is that there isn't that much "nicer" stuff available after size 16. So I'd Loe a stylist who knows the brands, fits, and options at the quality/price level I want and can give me recommendations.

Like right now I want a leather jacket made of actual leather, and I need an 18 in coats - but all the ones that seem right stop at size 12 or 14. I've tried on Marina Rinaldi and I am just the wrong shape for that brand - they are cut for inverted triangles and I am a busty pear! It is so frustrating!

Curious to know if you ever found someone to serve this purpose - I'm also a pesky size (I feel like I would be a 13 if that existed between 12 and 14...) and I also find that most brands that go from size 00-14 are just not cut well for the upper end of the range. Maybe I'm better off getting a bigger size then getting it tailored...?

Nope I won't! Pictures from Instagram or this kind of forum is more than enough for me to get advices I need :smile:

+ I should mention some videos and articles /website that are already dedicated to fashion and outfits. I have never got problem choosing the right close I want and like.

Reactions: Pollie-Jean