Would you ever knot your long shoulder strap?

ferrylights

Mar 12, 2014
I've noticed on quite a few Alexas and Mitzys I've seen in London this summer that many girls have tied knots/loops in their long shoulder strap to compensate for the length and make them shorter. As a shorty myself (5'3") I've contemplate doing this with my Mitzy, but can't bear to crease/crack the leather from doing it. Has anyone else noticed or done this?

I do, with my oversized travel bag (seasonal Alexa).

I asked the SA to create more holes for me (like 10 plus) so I can make the strap shorter... I knot the remainder into the part where it connects to the hook, but I no longer do it nowadays because I want to try out the longer strap look...

The leather is perfectly fine though, just that the part that is knotted will sort of have the "memory" of being twisted and turned. Took me quite a while to get it straight again...

I've noticed on quite a few Alexas and Mitzys I've seen in London this summer that many girls have tied knots/loops in their long shoulder strap to compensate for the length and make them shorter. As a shorty myself (5'3") I've contemplate doing this with my Mitzy, but can't bear to crease/crack the leather from doing it. Has anyone else noticed or done this?

No way!!! I am only 5'2 but I like my bag hanging low and none of my alexa long straps are even on the shortest hole and I think it looks fine. I think it's a crime to knot leather straps.

I think I read somewhere a lady had punched extra holes in her strap and got local cobbler to cut some of the excess after the buckle and reink n stitch the end for like £4 and the result was stunning x

dif' to explain ? but "no" I don't knot, I have extra holes punched in my Lexi straps but double the "spare" strap length back through the buckle & put the "prong" through 2 holes (so the strap folds back on itself through the buckle) - when I've come to sell any (Lexi(s)) I've undone the way I've fixed it & it hasn't made any dif' / marks on the strap at all xx's

dif' to explain ? but "no" I don't knot, I have extra holes punched in my Lexi straps but double the "spare" strap length back through the buckle & put the "prong" through 2 holes (so the strap folds back on itself through the buckle) - when I've come to sell any (Lexi(s)) I've undone the way I've fixed it & it hasn't made any dif' / marks on the strap at all xx's

That sounds like a good alternative! Do you have any pics as an example? I'm intrigued.

I do, with my oversized travel bag (seasonal Alexa).

I asked the SA to create more holes for me (like 10 plus) so I can make the strap shorter... I knot the remainder into the part where it connects to the hook, but I no longer do it nowadays because I want to try out the longer strap look...

The leather is perfectly fine though, just that the part that is knotted will sort of have the "memory" of being twisted and turned. Took me quite a while to get it straight again...
The SA did that for you? That's pretty good. Glad to hear you're only left with the 'memory' in the leather, rather than damage.

That sounds like a good alternative! Do you have any pics as an example? I'm intrigued.

here you go Ferry' .. hopefully the pics do show what I was trying to explain ?! xx Holls

lexistrapfortpf005_zps7ea02f51.jpg

lexistrapfortpf004_zps36bdcfb6.jpg

lexistrapfortpf002_zpsacc5a010.jpg

lexistrapfortpf003_zps161551bb.jpg

Didn't someone come up with a way of looping the Mitzy strap so it was shortened without being knotted? I am sure it was on TPF a long while ago...
I've seen that as well. I've just seen a lot of girls at places like Hyde Park British Summertime events with a loop tied off in their strap to make it shorter and was really intrigued.

http://forum.purseblog.com/showthread.php?t=568842
This is the thread I mentioned above from a little ago on how to shorten a Mitzy strap . I used it when I had a Mitzy and it is better than knotting!

This works very well on the Mitzy but in my opinion the straps from this seller on eBay
'Valuebeltsplus ' are another great option . They made one to size for me and it matches perfectly and is more comfy to wear .

couldn't agree more about how good valuebeltsplus are - they custom made an extension piece for my LV Lodge recently, £16.00 incl postage, arrived within a week (from the States), would recommend them to anyone xx

I wouldn't personally knot or add holes to any of my straps but you can make the long shoulder strap a lot shorter by unbuckling it, threading it through the D rings and re-buckling it. You end up with both clips on one D ring but it doesn't affect the bag in any way. The SA showed my how to do this on my OS Lexy and it works a treat! :smile: