Would you ever buy a dyed Chanel bag or dye your own bag?

Apr 9, 2015
I saw a bag on one of these threads someone dying their vintage beige Diana flap to black. That got me thinking, would you ever consider dyeing your bag or buy a dyed bag? Or would you wait it out and wait for the bag to come out in the color/leather you're looking for.

For me, I'm not too sure if I'm comfortable with dyeing a bag but it's an interesting idea if you can't get the bag you want in that color. I'm just worried that the bag would lose its value if done so.

I would never dye a bag or buy a dyed bag. I would allow the spa to restore the original color if there was color transfer or to touch up the color on the corners, but that's quite a different thing. If I owned a bag that was so damaged that it needed to be dyed to another color, then I would sell it for whatever I could get just for the brand name. If I was just tired of the color, again I would sell it and buy another in the color I wanted. If I was looking to buy, I would definitely not purchase a bag that had been dyed.

Haha never thought about it til now! I'd definitely wait out for the color to appear.

If I really a love a certain bag color... I'd just get it from another brand :P

Reactions: fally
I saw a bag on one of these threads someone dying their vintage beige Diana flap to black. That got me thinking, would you ever consider dyeing your bag or buy a dyed bag? Or would you wait it out and wait for the bag to come out in the color/leather you're looking for.

For me, I'm not too sure if I'm comfortable with dyeing a bag but it's an interesting idea if you can't get the bag you want in that color. I'm just worried that the bag would lose its value if done so.
HI
I've never dyed a chanel, but i am really considering it currently. I would like to dye a white one, to a grey color. BUt im a little nervous. Ive dyed one of my balenciaga bags black. It actually turned out great:smile:

I have recently dyed my white jumbo flap and a beige boy accordion bag both to black and I love it. It was done professionally. I love the styles of the bags but because of the color i haven't carried them much. Now that both are black, I feel more carefree about it and am carrying them more often. I don't intend to sell them so I'm not too worried about the resale value being affected etc. I'd rather dye them to a colour that I want than go through the hassle of selling and looking out for the same style to buy again just because I want a change in colour.

I have recently dyed my white jumbo flap and a beige boy accordion bag both to black and I love it. It was done professionally. I love the styles of the bags but because of the color i haven't carried them much. Now that both are black, I feel more carefree about it and am carrying them more often. I don't intend to sell them so I'm not too worried about the resale value being affected etc. I'd rather dye them to a colour that I want than go through the hassle of selling and looking out for the same style to buy again just because I want a change in colour.

Krizkroz great to hear that you are enjoying your bags more! Has the feel of the leather changed? That's always been the biggest fear. Where did you send for the dye job and did you have the interior colored as well!? Any chance you have before and after pictures to post? Thanks!

Reactions: Frillylily
No, I'd never want to do it to or buy a dyed Chanel bag- especially in lambskin. I've dyed Bal bags myself and have felt dyed Chanel flaps and while they look ok, it's just not the same tactile feel, which is really important to me.

I would never dye a bag or buy a dyed bag. I would allow the spa to restore the original color if there was color transfer or to touch up the color on the corners, but that's quite a different thing. If I owned a bag that was so damaged that it needed to be dyed to another color, then I would sell it for whatever I could get just for the brand name. If I was just tired of the color, again I would sell it and buy another in the color I wanted. If I was looking to buy, I would definitely not purchase a bag that had been dyed.
+1. My big worry would be a change in the feel of the leather and cracking. When I've seen bags that said they were dyed on the resale market they never looked quite right.

There are too many bags out there - new and preowmed - to deal with the risks of dying.

Its fun if you want to collect and save Vintage bags. I just died a Chanel Medallion Tote I bought for like a fourth of the price.

Attachments

• IMG_7033.jpg
    IMG_7033.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,613
  • IMG_7034.jpg
    IMG_7034.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,613
+1. My big worry would be a change in the feel of the leather and cracking. When I've seen bags that said they were dyed on the resale market they never looked quite right.

There are too many bags out there - new and preowmed - to deal with the risks of dying.
HI
I've never dyed a chanel, but i am really considering it currently. I would like to dye a white one, to a grey color. BUt im a little nervous. Ive dyed one of my balenciaga bags black. It actually turned out great:smile:

You should definitely Dye it!!! Since you already practiced with your Balenciaga piece!!