Would you ever buy a bag that needed repair?

i'm not an expert but a feel like a lot of bal bags are way overpriced, it's ridiculous! tears, cracks, scuffs, totally faded.... there was one city that was really (!) beat up and the seller still wanted at least half of the retail price :lol:

speaking of overpriced bags.....
i found a 2012 black city with nice wrinkly leather. papers, receipt and dust bag included. still looks new (leather ist not broken in) and the seller wants almost retail price 1145€ (before price increase). the lowest she would go is 1050€

what do you think? is this appropriate?

Last edited:
i'm not an expert but a feel like a lot of bal bags are way overpriced, it's ridiculous! tears, cracks, scuffs, totally faded.... there was one city that was really (!) beat up and the seller still wanted at least half of the retail price :lol:

speaking of overpriced bags.....
i found a 2012 black city with nice wrinkly leather. papers, receipt and dust bag included. still looks new (leather ist not broken in) and the seller wants almost retail price 1145€ (before price increase). the lowest she would go is 1050€

what do you think? is this appropriate?

I think it is really about what you want. Ceejay answered this question well in a couple of places I think. If you are looking for a discontinued color or leather type, you will probably have to pay a premium. If you can find what you want in a new bag, that would certainly be preferable.

I buy only pre-owned Bals, because I'm in love with the oldies. To me paying over retail for a rare bag in good condition is what I'd expect. Not comfortable doing that for a bag that needs hundreds of dollars in repair or refurbishment.

So I just gotta share my story - even though I feel like it's the exception and not the rule.

I buy all my bbags pre-loved, mostly because if I search long enough I can find a bargain and those are good in my life at the moment :biggrin: That and I am a sucker for older colors, the newer years just don't call to me.

Anyway, I wanted to find a Bal that I wouldn't be afraid of using on a daily basis. I work in an office-type of environment but I don't have anywhere I feel is "safe" to put my purse to keep from getting dirty. I decided I would look for a "project" or "beater" Bal - one that might just need some dry-leather-loving and maybe some clean up.

I found this 2007 Cafe Day that was already listed at a good price. I spoke with the seller and made an offer and gave my reasoning. It was incredibly faded and had some mystery "hard spots" on the leather at the bottom of the bag. Surprisingly she accepted my offer because she appreciated that I would try to "rehab it".

I received the bag in *BETTER* than expected condition. The lighting she chose to expose the flaws was pretty harsh because upon receipt it was faded, but not nearly as bad as the photos looked. I ended up cleaning up the handle, slathering 3 coats of leather honey on it and the second photo is how she looks now.

I'm excited because not only did I get a daily-use Balenciaga for a heck-of-a-price but I didn't have to sacrifice on it's smooshy-awesomeness. I never figured out a way to soften the hard spots on the bottom but the color is incredibly forgiving and it doesn't look like it's at risk of cracking.

So here is the sale shot:
Face2_zpsd0ee1b8c.jpg

Here is after I've loved it back to life:

IMG_20150122_160131232_HDR_zpsrt0sizzj.jpg

So there could be success in buying a bag that needs some love =)

Reactions: sdkitty
So I just gotta share my story - even though I feel like it's the exception and not the rule.

I buy all my bbags pre-loved, mostly because if I search long enough I can find a bargain and those are good in my life at the moment :biggrin: That and I am a sucker for older colors, the newer years just don't call to me.

Anyway, I wanted to find a Bal that I wouldn't be afraid of using on a daily basis. I work in an office-type of environment but I don't have anywhere I feel is "safe" to put my purse to keep from getting dirty. I decided I would look for a "project" or "beater" Bal - one that might just need some dry-leather-loving and maybe some clean up.

I found this 2007 Cafe Day that was already listed at a good price. I spoke with the seller and made an offer and gave my reasoning. It was incredibly faded and had some mystery "hard spots" on the leather at the bottom of the bag. Surprisingly she accepted my offer because she appreciated that I would try to "rehab it".

I received the bag in *BETTER* than expected condition. The lighting she chose to expose the flaws was pretty harsh because upon receipt it was faded, but not nearly as bad as the photos looked. I ended up cleaning up the handle, slathering 3 coats of leather honey on it and the second photo is how she looks now.

I'm excited because not only did I get a daily-use Balenciaga for a heck-of-a-price but I didn't have to sacrifice on it's smooshy-awesomeness. I never figured out a way to soften the hard spots on the bottom but the color is incredibly forgiving and it doesn't look like it's at risk of cracking.

Face2_zpsd0ee1b8c.jpg

Great job! Your bag really looks so nice! I also dyed a First I got with yellowish issues on it. I changed the color to Turquoise with Tarrago and I much say it worked. I haven't used it that much but whenever I have carried it I received many compliments on the color. The leather feels good too.

Face2_zpsd0ee1b8c.jpg

you have done a great job!
I like doing a little bit of maintenance on the older bbags as I think they tend to respond better to a little tlc. I have cleaned darkened handles on the chevre leather with washing up liquid with great results, and corners always look a little better with a layer of shine restore and an application of professional leather top coat IMO.
I will never forget a hint from 'roey' (a lovely tpf'er) that I saw on the Chloe thread a few years ago, and still use to this day!
''Try stretching that darkened area of leather out - gently pull it all directions. The darker area is usually the result of dye pigment squishing together after getting wet, and stretching the leather helps to pull the pigment apart and lighten it again.''
I find that if you stretch the leather along the stain, from inside the bag using your nail/finger it really does make any mark just instantly disappear.....it even works with the older leathers on Motos! :graucho:

hey ladies,
i found a s/s 2014 balenciaga city.
strange thing is the handles are white and he also mentioned that the leather has a reddish sheen at some places...
i asked the seller how this happened but he has not replied yet. anyone ever seen that before? do you think there is a chance to get them clean/black again? and what about the red sheen?

balenciaga-henkeltasche-classic-city-arena-schwarz-866f80_zpsd5z1xzfe.jpeg

balenciaga-henkeltasche-classic-city-arena-schwarz-365b96_zpsl9ja2fr6.jpeg

ok, i just bought the bag. it was 65% off and there is a return policy.
i will have a look at it and decide if it is worth repairing or not.

Last edited: