Would You Donate Your Birkin To Charity?

Would I give up a Birkin or Kelly for Charity? ........Heck NO! And who in the group thought this brilliant idea up, MissPiggy?

I mean wouldn't it be hysterical if every lady gives one of her Hermes bags to be auctioned off and then they all wind up buying each others bags?????? Ok....that would be too funny....

Any MEN on this committee? Any men asked to donate their beloved CARS???? I don't think you'd see any MEN giving up their Jags or Mercedes or BMW's.................nope.

Ok....on a more somber note....my DD's school always has a silent auction and the stuff the committee gets for this event is staggering. I mean vacation packages, and (yes) a car and spa visits and jewelery and clothing and the list goes on and on. They get these things donated by businesses in the area who get advertising in return. Now THIS could be a fun auction and I'm sure your Aunts group has already thought of this and/or already HAD auctions like this. It's fun and it's profitable for the charities involved and the businesses who participate. And they raise a boat-load of cash!!!

So, what's wrong with this kind of thing?

...give up my Hermes bag? Holy CATS! :wtf:

Frankly, I'll give money over giving one of my bags. Heck. I'll give a little more money than what the bag is worth. Money can come anytime. Buying a birkin is like going to battle and back.

No, I would not though I have 40 birkins. All of my birkins are precious to me and collecting each of them holds a lot of memories for me. I travelled around the world looking for birkins and it takes a lot of time for me collecting & asking the staff whether they had any birkins at the storeroom. Most of the time, the answer is a resounding 'No' so the feeling is painful when I leave the store without any birkins on hand. Now, donating my birkin for charity? NO! Let me die first before anyone ever donate my birkins to the charity!

Imagine someone asking you to donate a birkin to the salvation army? At least, the birkins in this charity committee that misspiggy mentioned, they'll be bidded at the price that suits their status but at the salvation army, hermes birkin sold for US$20? Has ayone ever encountered that?

I have a question-I'm familiar with charity auctions with high end items-cars, vacations, etc-but why would women on a committee be asked to donate something "personal" if the auction is at one place at one time for one audience? If it were to be auctioned to a very wide audience I could understand more that your aunt and others were asked, but this seems a bit strange to me-how could you really raise money from a pool of women who are capable of seeking out and paying for the bag they really want-why would they be asked to buy someone else's bag-plus, having such a pricey item up for bids cuts out tons of people from whom you might get a donation, but not a huge one? I'm reading this early, maybe I missed something but IMO this group needs to rethink their approach to fundraising.

No, I would not though I have 40 birkins. All of my birkins are precious to me and collecting each of them holds a lot of memories for me. I travelled around the world looking for birkins and it takes a lot of time for me collecting & asking the staff whether they had any birkins at the storeroom.

Oh my word Dior, 40 Birkins?? Do post pics of all 40!! If you can squeeze them into the camera lens that is.....:nuts:

I have a question-I'm familiar with charity auctions with high end items-cars, vacations, etc-but why would women on a committee be asked to donate something "personal" if the auction is at one place at one time for one audience? If it were to be auctioned to a very wide audience I could understand more that your aunt and others were asked, but this seems a bit strange to me-how could you really raise money from a pool of women who are capable of seeking out and paying for the bag they really want-why would they be asked to buy someone else's bag-plus, having such a pricey item up for bids cuts out tons of people from whom you might get a donation, but not a huge one? I'm reading this early, maybe I missed something but IMO this group needs to rethink their approach to fundraising.

As I understand it, it's an open audience but the committe group organises the whole event and sources for items for auction a few times a year, so during one of their meetings, the idea was raised. As at this point in time, I don't know if the idea has been vetoed (I would hope so for my aunt's sake) and I really don't want to ask too much - for fear of being dragged into the whole thing - if you KWIM.

I've been donating faithfully to the RSPCA for years and I'm happy helping defenceless animals ... I think the poor animals should get more attention. The rest of my other "donating" money goes to my church, or to any poor animal on the street that needs urgent medical or surgical attention and that's it. I wouldn't want anyone of us to have negative thoughts of other people's fundraising ideas....I just thought it's an interesting topic to raise in this holiday season of giving and since it has to do with our faves, just thought to get some views too, so I can help "steer" my aunt the right direction...she would give anything to help but I think even this is beyond her :P :yes: :heart:

I think this could be a sneaky way for someone (the particular person suggesting the donation) that is jealous of said bag to force the poor owner to part with it.

I think you nailed it, gazoo. Unless everyone (or most) also had Hermes bags and were asked to do the same, this sounds a bit too personal, in my humble opinion.

Everyone likes a cheerful giver and not a grumpy one, so for me personally, I'd have a hard time doing it if I was just suddenly asked in the manner your aunt was, unless it was a very personal cause for me.

I think the true sense of charity is to give something you really care about. So, although I must admit that I'm not sure if I would give one of my H bags - it would be a very kind act, and would mean that the giver was truly devoted to the cause...not just getting rid of things she no longer loved.

i agree wholeheartedly with Jamie.

No.

I would think the point of a fundraiser is to raise funds the most effective way possible. Focus being on the beneficiary of the funds rather than the source of funding.

Well, unless this is a Catholic fundraiser where the point would also be to exact a painful sacrifice from the gift-giver. hehe.