Would You Donate Your Birkin To Charity?

to be quite frank, no.
unless it was specifically for brain tumors and would go to help my sister.

I'd donate other things, otherwise.

or. like socal. I had a thing with mr lau!

I think it would depend on your feelings about your bag(s).
To most of us, being asked to donate our birkins and kellys would be like asking to pick one of our children to give away or an arm/leg to chop off.
My best wishes to your aunt and her difficult decision . . .

I think the true sense of charity is to give something you really care about. So, although I must admit that I'm not sure if I would give one of my H bags - it would be a very kind act, and would mean that the giver was truly devoted to the cause...not just getting rid of things she no longer loved.

To be honest, no I wouldn't if it was asked of me. Unless you're a celebrity of some kind, those items aren't going to reach a high auction value, so it's a waste of money, not only giving it (it would be less than what I could give for the equivalent of the item) and would cost me in replacing it.

I don't believe in competing in "giving up the most" for a charity competitions. What next? Being asked to give your first born? To be honest, if someone is truly devoted to a cause, they probably wouldn't be doing relatively frivolous things like buying Hermes bags.

Just my opinion, not bashing anyone else's POV.

GF or Fedsu could explain so much better than I...Mr. Lau is a VIP with Hermes...also a man who likes women (lots of them or has had several over the years)...several references on board to relationship between "servicing" or "dating" Mr. Lau (hmmm...not a handsome man IMO) and extensive H collections...

Hmmmm, SoCal, do I detect some newfound fascination w/ Mr Lau there? :graucho:

And he doesn't need to be handsome. Just as they used to say that money was the ultimate aphrodisiac, in the case of tPF'ers, a croc Birkin could be the ultimate aphrodisiac.

But to answer the question - no I wouldn't donate a Birkin to charity. I go along w/ Perja's POV. I'd donate the cost of a Birkin and more, but I think that a sacrifice along such lines is actually counterproductive.

No. The problems I have with this situation are: being asked to donate a highly specific item, and that item having sentimental value and/or being difficult to replace.

I'm a professional fundraiser and would never think of asking someone on a committee to donate their birkin..actually any personal item for that matter. If she feels pressured to give it won't ever be a donation she'll feel good about...and that's not philanthropy.

I think it would make more sense to ask the manufacturer to donate the item... so in this case, asking Hermes to donate an item (not necessarily a Birkin or a Kelly). I am not actually suggesting the group in question do this, just making the point...

If someone suggested I part with things that I have not offered to part with, I would find others to associate with... that's just me.

I think this could be a sneaky way for someone (the particular person suggesting the donation) that is jealous of said bag to force the poor owner to part with it.

We donate so much and do so much charitable work that I would have no issues saying "no." Quite honestly, I would feel offended at such a specific request, but than again I am very,very far from being Bill Gates financially speaking.

My aunt sits on a charity committee and they'll be hosting a charity auction soon to raise funds. My aunt was asked if she would like to donate her beloved Birkin 35 and put it up for auction :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

She came to my place panic striken and absolutely moaning and groaning...all the ladies on the committee are asked to do so....which led me to think - would I be able to do the same? Would you?

Would you give up your most beloved Birkin/Kelly for a charity cause??? And don't even suggest replacing your Birkin/Kelly with the equivalent amount of cash, that's the sucker's way out :P IT HAS TO BE THE BAG. Gosh, life is tough ain't it??

I would give up A birkin or kelly for a charity auction.
But it wont be my FAV BAG :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :supacool:

Hmmmm, SoCal, do I detect some newfound fascination w/ Mr Lau there? :graucho:

And he doesn't need to be handsome. Just as they used to say that money was the ultimate aphrodisiac, in the case of tPF'ers, a croc Birkin could be the ultimate aphrodisiac.

But to answer the question - no I wouldn't donate a Birkin to charity. I go along w/ Perja's POV. I'd donate the cost of a Birkin and more, but I think that a sacrifice along such lines is actually counterproductive.

Ya. Its not easy to find your fav birkin, I really rather donate the cash :s