Would you compliment a stranger on their mulberry bag?

I just went out to get a cup of coffee and on my way back i saw a lady with the most gorgeous oak (Roxy) I've ever seen. It was absolutely delicious, I just wanted to touch it.
Well, she was angaged in what appeared to be a serious conversation with her friend so I didn't say anything ... just stared longingly, almost drooling. Wish I had said something because that oak deserved a compliment.

If I see someone with a great bag,or shoes,coat or even smells lovely,and they don't look like they are in a godzilla type temper,I always ask,nod and smile at the bag and say 'oo lovely!' Makes their day!!
Plus if I get it,I love it,its very flattering,I just graciously say 'awww,thank you very much,thats lovely of you to say' if someone has plucked up the courage to ask,and be pleasant,its just manners to be pleasant back I think.
Apart from the time that had me laughing my tits off,a lady came up to me in M+S,said 'oooo,I love your studs,did you get them in here?' when I smiled and said no she said 'I would love a pair that size,did they come from Claires Accessories??'
She must have thought I was totally off my head because I was laughing so much,until I said,'no hun,they are real' she then saw the funny side,apologised and laughed at herself and went off to hunt some down in Claires Accessories!!!

I make it my business to people watch. I love to see what others are wearing. And when I go for coffee I go to a Ritzy area, so I can see what the ladies have on.
I will tell someone right away, "oh love your bag"
I think everyone appreciates a genuine compliment.
And some people just wear things WELL, they just OWN their stuff, and I love that.

I complimented a girl on her Longchamps Pliage bag yesterday...it was a wonderful bright blue and looked really cute on her!

I have to admit though that I admire Mulberry bags, but I don't usually compliment anymore! Too many self-satisfied women in London, so what's the point?

Ive sat on a bus before carrying my oak print E/W Bays, and there was a girl sitting opposite me with an oak Phoebe. We noticed each others bags at exactly the same time, looked up and grinned at each other. It was a fab moment :biggrin:

Snap, I do what you do! Except I do it at the station and observe people's outfits. Saw a stunning girl this morning with exceptional taste but decided not to give a compliment as she gave off the impression that 'she knew it too' so to speak but generally I would.

I agree that a compliment here and there doesn't go amiss, makes most people feel good.

I was stopped in the street by a woman who loved the skirt I had on and wanted to know where I got it, although she was disappointed that I got it in Paris, still it was a nice compliment all the same even if I couldn't help her. And ever since then I decided to do likewise :yes:

My husband actually stops women in the street if he likes something that he thinks might work on me :nuts: I reckon the women think its a very seedy pick up line....

I make it my business to people watch. I love to see what others are wearing. And when I go for coffee I go to a Ritzy area, so I can see what the ladies have on.
I will tell someone right away, "oh love your bag"
I think everyone appreciates a genuine compliment.
And some people just wear things WELL, they just OWN their stuff, and I love that.

Love this thread!! Actually I have been complimented on my bags, but have NEVER seen another person in my area carrying a Mulberry. The US northeast is definitely LV, Coach, Dooney country. There is only one shop in Rhode Island that sells Mulberry, and when I went to check it out, they had two bags.:crybaby:I have to go into Manhattan to purchase a bag. If I ever ran into someone carrying a Mulberry, I would probably embarass myself with enthusiastic glee!!!:nuts:

Nobody around my area recognizes my Mulberry bag. I get compliments on it because it is FABULOUS LEOPARD!!. But when I go to South Coast Plaza Mall (largest, very ritzy mall in California) All the SAs recognize Mulberry right away, asking what season it is, etc.. (I feel like I am among my tribe there...)

Have to say that American ladies are far more inclined to be open and give another lady a compliment. I have had some wonderful compliments while in the US over the most seemingly innocuous item but have to say, it was very nice!! I think us Brits are too staid to say much

I would def compliment a stranger, DH even did it once on my behalf "My wife really likes ur bag!" I like it when it happens to me, so would def do it to someone else. I might be alittle shy though!

After I ordered my new bag from the Atlantic City sale, I called back and asked for the manager. I proceeded to tell the manager what a wonderful sales girl I just had: patient, nice and helpful. Because for me part of the experience of shopping, is the how it all goes down. And the the SA, Randa, is a really good employee..
Well the manager started laughing and said, "it's ME!!!I'm one of the managers. I just sold you that bag!! You just made my day!!!