Reissue 226 vs Medium / Large Classic?

I've never been told that by an SA - surprised to hear they would discourage anyone from spending their money on whatever style they want. To me, the CF is completely unappealing and ordinary. I guess we just like what we like.
Believe me, before I went to the store, my heart is also set at 226 but when the SA told me something like that, I was like, what?? Really? Never thought they would think that way over the reissue and classic flap. Anyway, I didnt bought any bag that day instead I went home with a cute card case.

Reactions: tolliv
Just finished reading all your comments. Im shocked that really it's possible to choose the reissue over the classic flaps. Im just wondering why the resale value of the reissue is not so good like the classic flap when in fact a lot of people want it.. By saying that 226 goes from day to night and elegant does it mean gold hardware? Also, if this is really the case, the SAs at Chanel Boutique should stop discouraging someone not to buy the reissue as they would say that it is not anywhere close to the beauty of the classic flaps. It's too ordinary. Not so elegant.

I'm a little confused by your reply. If you think the reissue is "ordinary" and "not so elegant," then why bother asking the question of why people would choose one? Or do you mean the SAs are saying that? Because I've never heard an SA say bad things about a reissue.

I can't answer your question about resale value as I've never bought a Chanel with the intention of selling it. I love Reissues because they are understated, durable and work better for me than the classic flaps. But if someone loves the classic flaps more, I wouldn't criticize their choice -- there are plenty of beautiful Chanel bags for all of us to choose from!

My Reissue 226 is black with ruthenium hardware. I wouldn't wear it to a black tie event, but I will maintain it is an elegant bag. I like the way it can be either classy or edgy, depending on what outfit I wear it with.

I'm a little confused by your reply. If you think the reissue is "ordinary" and "not so elegant," then why bother asking the question of why people would choose one? Or do you mean the SAs are saying that? Because I've never heard an SA say bad things about a reissue.

I can't answer your question about resale value as I've never bought a Chanel with the intention of selling it. I love Reissues because they are understated, durable and work better for me than the classic flaps. But if someone loves the classic flaps more, I wouldn't criticize their choice -- there are plenty of beautiful Chanel bags for all of us to choose from!

My Reissue 226 is black with ruthenium hardware. I wouldn't wear it to a black tie event, but I will maintain it is an elegant bag. I like the way it can be either classy or edgy, depending on what outfit I wear it with.
Oh! It's the SA that told me that. :smile: sorry for the confusion. Of course it's not me who told that why bother asking everyone's opinion?? I'm just surprised that the Chanel SA in the boutique would make such comment. I'm actually thinking now that is that what really they think about the reissues compared to the classic flaps? Because I like the size of the reissue so I really consider the bag. It's good to know that it's just my SA who think that way about the bag. Because I had the thought that maybe other SAs too think the same way about the bag. I may check it at other stores maybe. Not with her after what she told me about the bag. I may want a different SA to assist me for the reissue. I know she's not gonna make me feel better trying on the bag.

Last edited:
Oh! It's the SA that told me that. :smile: sorry for the confusion. Of course it's not me who told that why bother asking everyone's opinion?? I'm just surprised that the Chanel SA in the boutique would make such comment. I'm actually thinking now that is that what really they think about the reissues compared to the classic flaps? Because I like the size of the reissue so I really consider the bag. It's good to know that it's just my SA who think that way about the bag. I may check it at other stores maybe. Not with her after what she told me about the bag. I may want a different SA to assist me for the reissue. I know she's not gonna make me feel better trying on the bag.

I guess SAs have opinions too! I'm just surprised that one would actually discourage you from buying a particular bag. Just for balance, when I bought my 226, the SA was going on about how it was the original Coco design. They said something similar when I bought my 227. In my limited experience, the SAs I've met love the reissue because it's more historically accurate, somehow more "true" to Mademoiselle Chanel herself. How an SA could think that somehow translates to less elegant is beyond me.

My humble advice would be, unless you need the CC logo so everyone knows you're wearing a Chanel bag, if you love the Reissue, then go for it! :smile::flowers:

I guess SAs have opinions too! I'm just surprised that one would actually discourage you from buying a particular bag. Just for balance, when I bought my 226, the SA was going on about how it was the original Coco design. They said something similar when I bought my 227. In my limited experience, the SAs I've met love the reissue because it's more historically accurate, somehow more "true" to Mademoiselle Chanel herself. How an SA could think that somehow translates to less elegant is beyond me.

My humble advice would be, unless you need the CC logo so everyone knows you're wearing a Chanel bag, if you love the Reissue, then go for it! :smile::flowers:
I have the cc logo since I was like 12. lol. That's my very first chanel bag.. i got it brand new.. it's a camera bag which is now a vintage bag already. I also have the gst haha! But I haven't had a chance to own a classic flap yet. So that makes me feel torn. I believe any girl should own even just one classic flap.. But the reissue 226 is like the perfect bag.. understated yet elegant, would not make you downsize much like the M/L though would not make you feel that the bag is kinda big like the jumbo.. Bonus is that it is the bag chanel made. Maybe I'll end up buying both. Haha! I just dont know which to get first.

I chose a reissue 226 over the m/l classic flap too even though I entered the store with the intention to buy the latter. When I saw my black on black chevron reissue and tried it on, I love it much over m/l classic flap.

As many pointed out, reissues are lighter, more durable/ durables can

Oops this is so embarrassing! Posted above accidentally when I dozed off while typing my post and I'm unable to edit it now. Full version below:

I chose a reissue 226 over the m/l classic flap too even though I entered the store with the intention to buy the latter. When I saw my black on black chevron reissue and tried it on, I love it much over m/l classic flap.

As many pointed out, reissues are lighter, more durable (mine is distressed calf leather), has more space like a jumbo, and wears cross body at the ideal level for me.

I don't intend to sell my bags so I won't worry about the investment value. Also, the SA encouraged me to get the reissue if I liked it the most as it's seasonal. Hope this helps. :smile:

Reactions: ubo22
I'm also surprised an SA would advise against the reissue since the price points are the same.

My SA also nerds out with me over the reissues because they are what Chanel originally created more or less.

One more vote for reissue[emoji4]. I have a boy and had, but sold, a mini and both feel a tad conspicuous and not to mention they don't hold much. I'm keeping my boy forever as its my most favorite of all, but, my next will be a 226 reissue for sure. For the exact reasons others are saying: crossbody, capacity and understated styling. I feel like only those who "know chanel" will know that bag.

My SA also encouraged me towards the reissue for the historical reasons!

Reactions: Kendie26
Don't let your opinion be influenced by one SA's opinion. I think that as a good SA you should be able to tune in with the needs and want of your client. Your personal taste when your the SA is not (always) important. It's about helping your client getting what he/she wants.
I would also feel discouraged buying an expensive bag when the SA would talk so negatively about it. It would ruin the experience! Instead when she would tell me all about how this was the original coco designed etc. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. It shows once again how an important role an SA can play ...

Reactions: Kendie26
I have both and love both.

I noticed that almost all who's spoken highly of the reissue style whenever this same question is being posted share something in common (this has been posted many many times that I think a sticky may be called for :smile: Here're these things:
  • They own more than 1 Chanel bag
  • They own both classic and reissue style (at least had at some point if not at the current moment)
  • Most of these people love both reissue and classic but for different reason/occasions
  • They give the same reasons for loving the reissue vs. classic flap
  • Not concerned at all about resale value or consider their bags an "investment"
  • They like reissue because of the following reasons:
    • Elegant and edgy
    • Feels like an "insider's" bag for those who really know/appreciate Chanel
    • The original classic CoCo Chanel bag (despite the naming convention) - fun fact: Coco's 1st Chanel flap bag was reissue style in Chevron (not quilted!)
    • Practicality (size/chain/durability/lightweight)
    • Under the radar but beautiful - subtle elegance
I also noticed that almost all who's spoken against the reissue style whenever this question is posted share the same thing in common below:
  • States classic being the style most known (CC logo)/concern that the reissue style does not standout/has the "wow" factor
  • Often concerned/told by others on worthy of the "investment" or "resale value"
Just some observations. I love both bags truly and it's really hard to choose (I refuse to). However, in all seriousness, I find that the classic flap does stand out more and it's very much "in your face" - which I don't really see as a bad thing. I spent $5k on it because I do like the classic simple style and stunning leather - typically you don't pay that money for a bag that you are not "wow'ed by. however i'm truly not wow'ed by the logo - it really is the whole esthetic of the bag and leather. The reissue though I can use much easier. it's the bag that people do a double take because it's just stunning in its style and leather quality. It's like that really good looking guy that walks in the room wearing just jeans and plaid shirt if you know what I mean, vs the good looking guy who's all decked out like he walked off a page of a magazine. :giggle:

Seriously - why choose? there's a time and place for both :lol: Like, 1st one I go to movies with and take home to meet my parents... 2nd one I'd take to meet my friends (make them all jelly-hahaha), go partying with, snap photos with and "accidentally" send a blast email to all my ex's... :happydance:

see how 'investment value" and "resale" value doesn't come into play? they both make me happy in different ways, and I would be happy to have both/either. :drinks: => exactly how I feel about reissue and classic.

I have both and love both.

I noticed that almost all who's spoken highly of the reissue style whenever this same question is being posted share something in common (this has been posted many many times that I think a sticky may be called for :smile: Here're these things:
  • They own more than 1 Chanel bag
  • They own both classic and reissue style (at least had at some point if not at the current moment)
  • Most of these people love both reissue and classic but for different reason/occasions
  • They give the same reasons for loving the reissue vs. classic flap
  • Not concerned at all about resale value or consider their bags an "investment"
  • They like reissue because of the following reasons:
    • Elegant and edgy
    • Feels like an "insider's" bag for those who really know/appreciate Chanel
    • The original classic CoCo Chanel bag (despite the naming convention) - fun fact: Coco's 1st Chanel flap bag was reissue style in Chevron (not quilted!)
    • Practicality (size/chain/durability/lightweight)
    • Under the radar but beautiful - subtle elegance
I also noticed that almost all who's spoken against the reissue style whenever this question is posted share the same thing in common below:
  • States classic being the style most known (CC logo)/concern that the reissue style does not standout/has the "wow" factor
  • Often concerned/told by others on worthy of the "investment" or "resale value"
Just some observations. I love both bags truly and it's really hard to choose (I refuse to). However, in all seriousness, I find that the classic flap does stand out more and it's very much "in your face" - which I don't really see as a bad thing. I spent $5k on it because I do like the classic simple style and stunning leather - typically you don't pay that money for a bag that you are not "wow'ed by. however i'm truly not wow'ed by the logo - it really is the whole esthetic of the bag and leather. The reissue though I can use much easier. it's the bag that people do a double take because it's just stunning in its style and leather quality. It's like that really good looking guy that walks in the room wearing just jeans and plaid shirt if you know what I mean, vs the good looking guy who's all decked out like he walked off a page of a magazine. :giggle:

Seriously - why choose? there's a time and place for both :lol: Like, 1st one I go to movies with and take home to meet my parents... 2nd one I'd take to meet my friends (make them all jelly-hahaha), go partying with, snap photos with and "accidentally" send a blast email to all my ex's... :happydance:

see how 'investment value" and "resale" value doesn't come into play? they both make me happy in different ways, and I would be happy to have both/either. :drinks: => exactly how I feel about reissue and classic.

Love this post. [emoji106]

Yeah, at first I thought I needed the classic flaps. Got the M/L first, then jumbo. Then I fell for the reissue, hard. Somebody mentioned Goldilocks and that's so true. M/L was too small, jumbo too big, and reissue just right.

I think it depends if you want a WOW bag with the status factor, buy a classic. If you are more understated and appreciate functionality, go for the reissue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minty Tea
Love this post. [emoji106]

Yeah, at first I thought I needed the classic flaps. Got the M/L first, then jumbo. Then I fell for the reissue, hard. Somebody mentioned Goldilocks and that's so true. M/L was too small, jumbo too big, and reissue just right.

I think it depends if you want a WOW bag with the status factor, buy a classic. If you are more understated and appreciate functionality, go for the reissue.

Totally! and since we're women and we're subject to change our mind as often as we'd like, we can absolutely love and want both to go with our mood! :smile: Princess by day; rockstar by night! hahahaha :tup:

I've wanted a beige CF for over ten years (back when I was a teen). They're hard to get where I am, so it's something I have waited on, but I never get a call from an SA. I've watched as the price went up, and now watched the issues some are having with quality. It seems like these things tend to plague the CFs nowadays. They're so mainstream, now I see them everywhere. I've some to realize that the subtlety of the Reissue is more me, as is the leather. More durable than lamb but still luxurious. And I love that it truly is Coco's bag. It's now my HG bag, whereas even five years ago I would never have even considered it.