Would you buy two?

chicjean

O.G.
May 28, 2010
I'm hoping this is the right place to post this :P

I've been agonizing over this, and I know it's not even that big of a deal, it's not even that much money!!!

I picked up this AMAZINGLY cozy, chunky wool infinity scarf at the Gap on sale for $15 in gray and went back a few days later to return a few other things and noticed that they had one left in navy blue. I don't know if it's because it was the last one or because it was on sale, but I scooped it up.

I'm trying to be frugal this December because I've had a ton of Christmas shopping to do and I'm recently unemployed; $15 isn't that much. I wear my grey one every single day, but I feel kind of guilty for having two of the exact same thing. $15 could be three trips to Starbucks... I do also have about five other winter scarves that I wear. Is having seven winter scarves too much?!

My mom always says when you find something you love that's basic (like jeans or t-shirts or sweaters) to stock up. I don't know if I've fully bought into this school of thought- I'm the kind of person that when something wears out I'm excited to go search for something new I'll love just as much.

What would you do??

If I like something a lot, I buy it in all the colors. My friends think I'm crazy because I literally have 10-12 tops in 2 or more colors! But these are things I know I love, so I get good use out of it.

Heck, sometimes I buy 2 of the exact same thing (same color). There have been times where I've worn something to pieces or lost it, and was kicking myself for not getting another.

I sometimes buy an item in 2 different colors if I really love it. That gives me a backup if something happens to one of them. With more than 2 similar items, I feel they become less special or one gets worn more than the the rest or I get rid of several duplicate items because they no longer look current.

Generally, I buy one of an item, wear it to death and enjoy looking for the next great thing.

If I like something a lot, I buy it in all the colors. My friends think I'm crazy because I literally have 10-12 tops in 2 or more colors! But these are things I know I love, so I get good use out of it.

Heck, sometimes I buy 2 of the exact same thing (same color). There have been times where I've worn something to pieces or lost it, and was kicking myself for not getting another.

This! Seriously, I would have said exactly this. :nuts:

If you can afford an extra $15 right now, keep it. Just skip the 3 starbucks coffees by making coffee at home!

I switched to making coffee at home by getting myself a Keurig machine. I even use the re-usable filter to fill it with my own coffee. My point is, save in one area, so you can spend a little in another that makes you happier!

But if you are agonizing over the $15 you spent, maybe you know the money should be put towards something else and that you really don't have the extra $$ after all. $15 here and there does add up after awhile.

^ i agree. if it's something you love and will use a lot, why not. $15 isn't a lot and if you are happy with it, it will be worth it. i just bought two of the same vneck cardigans, one in black and one in blue b/c they are so versatile. :smile:

yeah, I also dont think this is a big deal - personally I'd rather buy the scarf then go to Starbucks ;). The scarf will last you soo much longer.

I also buy more than 1 item of something I love, sometimes in different colours, sometimes in the same.

Well, it depends. Would you wear navy blue as much as you wear gray (IMO, gray is much more versatile). Do you think chunky scarves will still be fashionable next year/will you wear this next year? Could you go without Starbucks for three days :P? If the answer is yes to all of these, then I'd go for it! Otherwise, I'd put the money towards something else. I know $15 is quite cheap, but small purchases like this can add up really quickly. It's smart of you to think about whether you really want it.

I personally buy multiples of things that I (a) really really like and (b) cannot find anywhere else. For example, I have seven (!!!) pairs of a type of ballet flats that J Crew sold about three years ago because they fit me perfectly and I have never found another brand that was as perfect. However, if it's something that's on-trend and is selling everywhere, I'll pass on buying multiples because I know I can always pick another one up later.

if you really like it then keep it. but if you want it just b/c it's the last one or whatever reason other than the fact that you really love it...then better return it.

Personally, I have never had any good experiences with multiples. Somehow one pair / unit always gets the most wear and the other(s) just sit around until I get bored with the trend and move on.

Now the money, it never gets out of fashion :smile:

p-WA

If I love something and I know I will use it, I will buy two or more...

$15 dollars for a scarf that you will wear often is not bad and if you like two so you can vary I think it is perfecly fine...

i do this all the time! i usually pick up the same top in black and gray, or black and tan, or gray and brown, etc. so i know i can either match a either a black outfit or a more brown-toned one. that way, i know i'm getting the most wear out of my wardrobe by being able to wear out all the colors in it (also so i don't get stuck in a black rut in the winter :P)

long story short, i say get it - if you've been wearing the other one so much, you will definitely get wear out of this one as well, as long as navy is a color that fits well into your wardrobe!