Tech would you buy refurb?

It depends. Is it an authorized refurb from Apple? Do they even offer refurbs?

But yes, I've bought refurbs and supposedly, they're 99% as good as new. The get looked over, all failing parts get replaced with new ones and they're resold. I can't recall ever getting burned on a refurb. Make sure there's a warranty and go for it.

I'd also look at the brand new Galaxy tabs. :smile:

Authorized Refurbs are great! My husband is in IT for a large worldwide computer security company and gets discounts through work on electronics. He often buys refurbs for us and our family. He just got a refurbed Nook Color and saved about $100!! I bought a used one from a friend with an extended warranty. They are exactly the same. We had to buy different covers to be able to tell them apart.
I say, go for it!

My son buys the refurbished iphones, uses them til the new ones comes out, and then sells the old one. He is able to sell them for pretty much what he paid for them.

Based on what I've heard from someone I know who works at Apple, I'd say refurbs directly from Apple are worth a try. They replace nonworking parts and re-test everything that goes up for sale again and the included warranty I believe is the same as what a new one would come with. I think you can also buy more warranty (Apple Care) and Apple's supposedly awesome with customer service unlike the headaches that seem to usually come with dealing with warrantees and protection plans.

Refurb from Apple is totally worth it. Products come with the same warranty as brand new ones and you can get apple care. My MacBook from 07 and Air from 09 are both refurbished and never given me any problems.

They just did an article about this on CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_...-choose-refurbished-every-time/?tag=txt;title

(Credit: Apple) Not all refurbished products are created equal. The very definition can differ depending on what the product is and who's doing the refurbishing.

For example, I once bought a small, refurbished HDTV that had a broken stand, scuffed bezel, and barely there packaging. Bleh.

However, when it comes to Apple products, I see no reason to choose anything but refurbs. I say this not as a gushing Apple fanboy, but rather as someone who thinks most Apple hardware is overpriced--and sees refurbs as a rare opportunity to get it for less.

Here's a great example. Head to the Apple store's refurbished iPad section and you'll find the 16GB iPad 2 Wi-Fi for $419 shipped--a full $80 less than what you'd pay for a new one.

Likewise, the refurbished 32GB iPad 2 Wi-Fi is $499, a savings of $100. You can also score 3G models from AT&T or Verizon at similar savings. And shipping is free.

Now let's talk MacBook Air. The current-gen model starts at $999, but you can save a whopping $150 by opting for its refurbished counterpart. And last year's (well, 2010's) Air is available for as little as $699. That's downright reasonable.

Sounds great, right? Sure, but what's the catch? What do you give up by opting for refurbished Apple gear?

Nothing.

Apple's refurbs come with a new outer shell and new battery, meaning you get same-as-new appearance and performance. Better still, you get the same one-year warranty Apple extends to new hardware. There is literally no downside.

But there is one small cosmetic difference: refurbs come in nondescript cardboard boxes, not the fancy white ones afforded to new gear. Big whoop, if you ask me.

Apple's refurb offerings and inventory change over time, so you can't always get what you want. But I think it's the only logical place to start your shopping. I've purchased refurbished iPhones, iPods, and iPads, and every one of them arrived in perfect, like-new condition. Consequently, when it comes to Apple gear, I can't see any reason to pay extra for the new stuff.

i agree with with all of the above! refurbs from apple are the way to go. although i've never bought a refurb myself (yet!), i can tell you for sure that that you will receive apple's products basically like new, with new batteries (if it comes with one), new skin, etc. the only thing is that it doesn't come in a fancy apple packaging. but who needs it? you'll just toss it anyway! buying refurbs can save you 5% to 20% or even more!