Would you buy a truly vintage Kelly w/flaws...

south-of-france

Work hard, play hard
O.G.
May 4, 2006
... such as scratches on the gold hardware and leather, for much much less than retail (let's say $1500 instead of $6000) or is this a bad idea? I have never owned a Kelly but it could be an alternative, so I could try one out first.

What do you think? And would they have any resell value? Thank you for helping out a H newbie (I'm usually over at Bal)! :yes:

I would, and I do often. The real key is the actual condition of the leather--is there dryness or cracking or color loss? If not, it's a great deal. If there are any of those flaws, though, I would probably pass because those types of damages are not really repairable by Hermes. Scratches, on either the leather or hardware, can often be buffed out or at least minimized.
In my opinion it's a great way to dip your toe into the H brand without having to commit many thousands of dollars.

^Apparently there is "Hermes Paris" engraved, plus a "blind stamp" (?) on the back (not on the photos).

How do you rate its condition? Do you think it could be saved if authentic?

You would definitely need to see those photos in order to be sure it's authentic.

That being said, there does seem to be a touch of dryness on the sides, which you would need to get a better look at--and also, there appears to be heavy corner wear on at least one corner. You must make sure that the corner wear is ONLY discoloration as opposed to worn right through the leather. Discoloration/color loss on the corners can be touched up; if the leather is worn down to a nub, though, there's nothing they can do.

^^ IMHO, you should save for the bag you want. The vintage box kellly isnt for everyone, and if you really yearn for a birkin or togo kelly, even a great deal on a sweet little vintage kelly is not forwarding your dream.....It can be a lovely entry bag and a timeless classic....but if it is only "standing in," you may not be as happy carrying it....or, worse yet, you may not carry it!!

Yes, if that's your dream bag and you can save up for it--I would do that.
Obviously you will have to figure on Hermes' price increases in the meantime, but if you think you can swing it at some foreseeable point then I DO think it's worth waiting!

I would, and I do often. The real key is the actual condition of the leather--is there dryness or cracking or color loss? If not, it's a great deal. If there are any of those flaws, though, I would probably pass because those types of damages are not really repairable by Hermes. Scratches, on either the leather or hardware, can often be buffed out or at least minimized.
In my opinion it's a great way to dip your toe into the H brand without having to commit many thousands of dollars.

Although I completely agree with my friend CYN here, but only if you love the bag...

I'd like to say that I would get a truly vintage bag, but I don't think I'd be happy carrying it if it were not in pristine condition. You mentioned this would be a good first step into H, so perhaps you really want to be saving for a new (or gently pre-owned) bag. Happy to chat with you about pre-owned bags -- have recently started looking into that possibility myself.

Thank you so much. I'm not sure whether I should do it or not. I just prefer the silver (palladium) hardware to the gold. I wish I could see it before buying it to try it out but that's not an option. Argh!