Would you buy a diamond Kelly watch?

aethra21

O.G.
Mar 12, 2009
Hi there, I'd like to get some help to decide whether to get a diamond Kelly watch...it's going for about US$12K (here in Asia). It's got diamonds front and back and on an alligator strap. I read in some previous posts that it's nice to look at but not actually great to use or wear...can Kelly watch owners share their thoughts with me?

i don't own any H watch and no plans to get any..as much as i love H for their bags, bracelets, scarves, slgs.... i would not get watches or fine jewelry from them because that is not their specialty..i would rather get cartier, jaeger le coultre, brequet ..but just my two cents!

I have a regular Kelly watch, plain leather and no diamond, and I enjoy it as a fun piece but not truly as a watch. The Kelly lock dangles and this bothers some people. I am OK with it and like the look, but for $12K I would go with something else.

No, I have a Kelly watch in the plain metal that was given to me years ago and it is a nice fun watch to wear but the padlock banging about does drive me mad and the watch also quickly shows signs of wear as a result. For that amount of money there are many other better designed and branded dress watches to be had.

If you collect watches of this caliber I think it's a fun addition. Think of how you're going to wear this watch-- I would pass if you plan on wearing it daily, but if you are just planning on using it for special occasions it is a stunning watch. But if this is going to be your one diamond watch, I think there are other ones out there that you will get more use out of, so consider your other options.

Last edited:
No, never. I don´t like the Kelly watch at all. Apart from that I would never spend that much on an H watch. I have bought a Cape Cod because I liked the design and it wasn´t that expencive. Other watches I have are by top watch brands. Heremès is not one of them.

Am only considering this watch because I love how it looks...but hesitate because of the price tag for what I think will simply be a "fashion" watch since Hermes isn't exactly most famous as a watch maker, and because I see on tpf there are so many comments about the "clanging" of the watch against the hardware and looking at the design I am so sure it's going to scratch the hardware. And also another "con" is it's $12k for a quartz watch but boy oh boy is it gorgeous IRL !!

ABlovesH said:
If you collect watches of this caliber I think it's a fun addition. Think of how you're going to wear this watch-- I would pass if you plan on wearing it daily, but if you are just planning on using it for special occasions it is a stunning watch. But if this is going to be your one diamond watch, I think there are other ones out there that you will get more use out of, so consider your other options.

Heheh thanks, so far yours is the only semi positive vote for the watch :smile:

Heheh thanks, so far yours is the only semi positive vote for the watch :smile:

To be honest, if I saw someone wearing this watch I would think "wow, amazing watch!"-- the design is beautiful, even if it's not practical. Bottom line-- only you know if it's worth the high price tag to you! Have fun with your decision!!

As a watch girl, I stick to Rolex & Audemars as timeless luxury watches. My experience also is that if I have to ask others about their opinions on whether to buy something it is because I know it is not practical but am looking for an excuse to get it. That said, if you have the disposable income, go for it.

just as there are loads of bags to buy on the market, H bags/ leather goods are renowned for their craftmanship and quality.

i would also use that criteria to select a 12k watch, JMO

Hiya, i have the same piece that you are thinking of buying, its a great fun accessory but to be truthful, i only wore it few times as i prefer my other watches. there is another use for it as i use the diamond side as a pendant hung on a long chain. i prefer it that way, just my opinion.

Hermes is wonderful for bags, silk, shoes, perfume....BUT, for watches? NO, unless you're buying one for an accessory to go with an enamel or clic clac. If you're interested in a REAL watch, then put that money towards a Patek P., or Cartier, or Frank Muller...
Good luck!