Would you buy a Classic Flap just for the sake of investment?

Maybe if you had one from your closet that was in excellent condition [I am talking 5+ years ago], Sure you MAY make a profit from what you paid. NOT NOW. Nobody is going to buy a $8900 bag for $12k [Unless its a caramel flap LOL]. Thanks to resellers and IG live sellers, the market is SATURATED with classics. Take a look at fashionphile's inventory. Their is plenty of classics bags on there selling for close if not under retail.

Reactions: missie1
A medium cf should cost 8800 usd.

A black caviar cf is one of the easiest bags you can get from a boutique without the risk from a reseller. So, no, it’s not a good “investment.”

When I think of good investments I think of buying low and selling high. Not buying high to *possibly* get the money I paid back. You’d get more money back and less risk from just parking the money is a HYSA.

I think the investment word as it relate to bags is not the same type of investment. It’s will you get your monies worth (cost per wear) type investment. In this case you don’t like the bag so the cost per wear will be very minimal. In the end t’s a terrible “investment.”

I don't think any bag is an investment. Small classic flap is $8200 retail, and you said for you it'll be about $8900 after taxes. So you're paying around ~8.6% tax? If you were to resell this bag, most sellers will include shipping and PP fees in the price. If you fully insure the bag for shipping, it'll run you over $100 and the PP fees is another $356 give or take (4%). So now you need to upcharge $400+ just to cover your costs and break even. Many people live in states with cheaper sales tax so you're already at a disadvantage. If Chanel raises the cost by $700 again this year, then maybe you can make $300 off the bag? So that's about a 3% return on the "investment", assuming everything goes smoothly and you get no hassle from the buyer. Inflation was 7% this year, so you really wouldn't even be "making money". If you hold it long term then maybe you can make some more money but that depends on Chanel increasing their prices. But I'm not sure Chanel is going to do crazy price increases forever. Honestly there are better investments you can dump $8900 into lol.

Now if you wanted a classic flap to begin with, then getting it now is probably worth it so that you don't get hit with a price increase. Because if you like and use the bag, then (at least for me) you are getting cost per wear of out and it's not that big of a deal if you lose a bit of money if you ever sell it. Classic flaps do hold most of their value, so if I can make back even 80% of the cost of a bag, then that's great in my eyes.

I consider "investment" in two ways.
1. financial, where you can get your money back/close to all of it back
2. cost per wear.

I wouldn't buy a bag purely for financial investment and don't base my purchases on this. In Aus classic flaps are $12,950 and above - I wouldn't buy one if I couldn't get a good cost per wear out of it.

I agree with so many commenters here! I see resellers marking up classic flap bags, especially the popular colors, up by thousands of dollars. For me as a buyer, it just doesn’t make sense to pay above what I would pay at the store (retail+tax). Because anything over that to me is going to make it harder to help me break even if I sell the bag later on. Also- I don’t think it’s easy to resell bags at break-even or above retail+tax unless the bag is in pristine condition…especially because rational customers know they can usually find those bags at the store given enough time and patience. (At least the classic colors). I would ideally like to be able to use my bags so don’t expect that many of my bags would hold retail value unless it’s sitting in a corner of my closet.

Will the price continue to rise - yes. Is the CF a good investment - no. One good example is the 21P Caramel. People went bonkers. Fast forward one year 22S has the same color. If you have a look at the reseller market the black CF with GHW in medium and small are available. In fact customers can purchase the black CF from the boutiques and highly recommend buying from the boutiques!

I buy preloved bags for less than retail, in the hope that keeping them nicely and treating them well, they'll RETAIN most of what I paid for them. But I never buy bags expecting them to increase in value (ie what you want an investment to do). in my opinion, unless you buy at RRP a rare bag and sell immediately to a reseller who offers you a profit (eg some Birkins / and current moment v limited Chanel, eg the heart bags are going for more than retail), you're unlikely to make any money, in my opinion.

Even if you sell on ebay, you're looking at a significant hit with fees. Less than most resellers, but also less of market and more 'legwork' for you.

My day job is selling preloved gold and silver designer jewellery. Even that, where the price of gold is climbing etc, is not a brilliant investment! And that's something that has more intrinsic value in the material (i.e. gold vs leather) it's made from.

Buy what you LOVE. And if you really love it, and can afford it, buy in the boutique to get the full experience. I want a Chanel bag, and having seen the lovely experiences people have in the boutiques, I'm more likely to buy it in a store and accept the value drop as soon as I step out of the door (even if resellers are selling at retail price, that's not what the person selling to them will get)! I see it a bit like buying a new car vs buying used - I've done (and loved doing) both, but depending on the car, sometimes I'm willing to buy new and take the immediate value hit - other times, I'll let the first owner take that hit and benefit later :biggrin: