Would you buy a bag with a scratch?

ddebartolo

O.G.
Dec 8, 2007
I found a very rare 2018 So Black Chevron Reissue 225 in a boutique BUT there is a major scratch on the turn lock from opening and closing it many times. My question is: am I nuts for still wanting this even though the price is outrageous and there’s a major scratch? Could I buy it and send it in for repair immediately? Also, do they ship if you send it in for repair since I’m out of town right now and this is where the bag is? It’s so hard to find and I really want it but that’s a LOT of money to spend on a bag with flaws. Ugh I need advice lol

I found a very rare 2018 So Black Chevron Reissue 225 in a boutique BUT there is a major scratch on the turn lock from opening and closing it many times. My question is: am I nuts for still wanting this even though the price is outrageous and there’s a major scratch? Could I buy it and send it in for repair immediately? Also, do they ship if you send it in for repair since I’m out of town right now and this is where the bag is? It’s so hard to find and I really want it but that’s a LOT of money to spend on a bag with flaws. Ugh I need advice lol
Also, how much does it cost to replace the frame around the turn lock for the so black hardware? Thank you!

I would not by anything new that has something I consider defect or damage. And never if it was Chanel were you pay a gigantic premium. So it needs to perfect if it is new Chanel.

I have only Chanel shoes/RTW and my SA says if there is a defect I can take them to any Chanel boutique so I guess it should apply for bags too so you could take it in for repair anywhere. However I am not familiar how a scratch would be handled as it is not defect but more like damage.

I wouldn't pay full retail price for a damaged item, especially one with major damage like a big scratch on an obvious place. I actually recently bought and then returned a beautiful camellia WOC because I found some popped stitches and a scratch on the bottom of it.

I regretted returning the bag, but I also knew that if I kept it, I would always be unhappy with and notice the flaws and damage. It's one thing if I do it myself, you know? Another thing to pay Chanel prices for an already damaged good.

I guess I'd ask: if you bought it and it couldn't be fixed, would the damage + the price you paid really bother you and impact your enjoyment of the bag? Because if the answer is yes, I'd suggest saving your money. Be disappointed about not having the item, but still have the money instead of having an item you are unhappy with even if it's hard to find.

I bought a bag with a chip in the hardware. I didn’t notice it until I used it. I decided to keep it because to me, even though it’s annoying, it’s not that big of a deal in the grand scheme. Scratches happen, you are not crazy to want to keep it even with a scratch, and if you wanted to exchange it that’s logical as well. It’s really personal preference.

Have you asked the salesperson what can be done? I cannot imagine they would just sell it in that condition, maybe they will fix it?
I didn’t even think to ask about repairs but they definitely would not give a discount lol It’s in a Saks so not sure if they do repairs there or if I’d have to take it to a stand a line boutique

There is So black chevron Reissue coming in (I don’t recall 20B or 20A) but this newest version has edge stitching just like the mini version we see often lately in this forum. If you don’t mind with it, maybe go after that rather than settling down with scratched hardware?

To answer your question, no I won’t pay retail for bags with obvious damage. And it’s more than a thousand $ higher than its original price when it came out (2018 bag). Unless the store can fix that for you for free. Make sure before you buy.

I do notice my so black has looser lock than my other Reissues in RHW and AGHW. I think this is on purpose so that it won’t scratched the rectangle part when opening and closing. The one you see might has lock that is too tight so it scratched too easy. But the looser lock kind of annoying sometimes. So when you purchase your So black, you can consider this.

I didn’t even think to ask about repairs but they definitely would not give a discount lol It’s in a Saks so not sure if they do repairs there or if I’d have to take it to a stand a line boutique

Oh, I know they wouldn’t give a discount. I meant send it away for repairs if you bought it. For free.

Is it from a boutique? Or from a department store? When I bought a bag sight-unseen and had it shipped to me, there was a huge crease across the front flap. I called my SA and they offered to give me a discount on the bag (NM), since there were none available to replace it with. I returned it because I couldn't deal with the crease, but if you love the bag and think you can deal with the scratch, it's worth asking the SA if they'll give a discount. Worst thing they can say is no!

Also - on reissues, the style is "aged" anyway, so I don't think a scratch would bother me as much as it would on a classic flap, Trendy, etc. But you have to decide for yourself if you're willing to live with it.

Reactions: 880 and ddebartolo
I have a soft spot for SO black reissues, so I feel you. Personally, I would only purchase it if your SA's willing to have the scratch repaired free of charge. I couldn't be able to bring myself pay full retail price for a damaged bag and then pay to have it fixed. The classic bags are already expensive enough, and Chanel charges extra for the black hardware. So in essence, you'd be paying a premium for a feature that already has a noticeable flaw. Regarding shipping, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to ship it to you after it's fixed.

Reactions: OCMomof3
I wouldn’t pay retail for a flawed bag but I’m wondering if this wear is going to happen anyway. These types of closures just rub metal on metal as that’s the way they work. So even on other coloured hardware you will always see some wear. That’s probably why the aged silver is such a popular hardware for this style.

Reactions: Frillylily
I am actually in this process, and it is very easy. I showed the scratch to the Chanel repairs employee, and she took the bag and gave me a paper to sign. Then, she said they will give me a call in 6 to 8 weeks. Complimentary repair :smile:

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Glitterbomb