Would you buy a bag thay has a smoky smell?

If the bag was heavily discounted and it was a bag I really wanted I might consider it a challenge to remove the smoke smell. :smile: It is very difficult, though and it would have to be a bag that could take some cleaning.

it would have to be my holy grail of bags to make me even think to do that!!!

i bought a fabric designer bag a couple years ago - seller never said anything about a smoke smell and as soon as i opened the box the smell hit me!! i could not go near that bag because no one in my home smokes and it made my head hurt! i tried everything to get rid of it!

it finally went away but it was many months later. a bargain is not really a bargain if you can't use it! that is a waste of money to me - no matter how good the price may have been.

I would not buy a bag in that condition, but I was given one....it spent probably a year in my closet unused, then I went after it. I cleaned it thoroughly. I put/ stored verbena sachets in it! And now it is fine....I would have had to get rid of it if the smell was lingering. In fact another unused bag was given to me, same source, in the same condition, and I donated it. I only would put the work into a bag I really loved...

Last edited:
Yes, if:
It's 30-50% less than average selling price
It's finished, smooth leather (as opposed to suede or unfinished leather), or machine washable
It's summertime (I have a deep balcony and can hang stuff out for weeks w/o worrying about them being rained on)
I'm living near a cleaner or detailing place that has an oxidizing machine (I think that's what they're called?)

I would probably pass.. As a former smoker I seen many bags that my smoking did damage too and i didn't even realize it... Thank god that was before my really expensive bag obsession.. So it wasn't an LV but I remember it was a really nice all black leather Kenneth Cole bag I paid like $250 or something like that but at the time that was expensive for me.. So anyways I never really noticed until one day I was looking at it and it was a yellowy:green color instead of black... So I know the nicotine did it cause when I wiped it with a damp cloth u could see some of it coming off but it diff ruined the color of the bag!

I would probably pass.. As a former smoker I seen many bags that my smoking did damage too and i didn't even realize it... Thank god that was before my really expensive bag obsession.. So it wasn't an LV but I remember it was a really nice all black leather Kenneth Cole bag I paid like $250 or something like that but at the time that was expensive for me.. So anyways I never really noticed until one day I was looking at it and it was a yellowy:green color instead of black... So I know the nicotine did it cause when I wiped it with a damp cloth u could see some of it coming off but it diff ruined the color of the bag!

Oh, I really sympathize with you on that! I'm also glad I gave up smoking before I got into "nice things." :cool:

I own a commercial ozone machine and can remove smoke from items if I need to.
I recently purchased a bag that was advertised as having a smoke smell knowing that I would have no problem removing the odor.

What I did not expected was the perfume and febreeze stench. The smoke and perfume was easy to remove with the ozone machine (really!) but the febreeze proved to be too much for me.

I absolutely hate hate hate febreeze - it stinks IMO. If you want to drive me crazy then stick me in a room with febreeze and force me to listen to Kelly Ripa.

I listed the bag ..... disclosed the history and sold it.