would you buy a backup?

fleurdelis816

Sep 18, 2008
Hey ladies -- so I was just thinking today about if I'd ever be willing to buy a backup of a particular bag when I have so many others on my wishlist....what's your opinion?? any of you have backups? if so, of what?

I don't buy backups for any bags, but I guess that is because I am very gentle on my bags. My sisters tease about the kid-glove treatment my bags get. I never set them on the ground. When I go to work there is a designated cabinet above my desk that my bag is stored in. When I get home I walk the bag to the bedroom and only keep a wristlet with my CC's, ID and keys at the front door for running errands. When a bag is finished being used that day it is stuffed with tissue and stored back in its dust cover and shelved. I know this sounds a bit compulsive. But, once I become comfortable with a bag, I want that bag to last years. I have some bags that are 10-15 years old and look practically new. That is why I am willing to invest more in a handbag than I will in any other garment or accessory (well...except jewelry).

Yep DITTO McC, except if I am going to use the bag a few days, she goes into dustbag right away at home, with all my stuff. I wont allow any light to touch her even a tiny bit when not in use.
I do have ONE HH backup because I am changing the hardware on one of them. There is another I'd like to have a backup for, but probably will never find ~ Saddle Inka.

The only backup I have is for the pilot since they aren't being made anymore. I may buy another Hudson satchel if I could. It's so nice.

Yep DITTO McC, except if I am going to use the bag a few days, she goes into dustbag right away at home, with all my stuff. I wont allow any light to touch her even a tiny bit when not in use.
I do have ONE HH backup because I am changing the hardware on one of them. There is another I'd like to have a backup for, but probably will never find ~ Saddle Inka.

Good idea. I always store them in a cover bag when not in use but haven't thought about when I use a bag a couple days in a row. They are stored away from light, but I think the dustcover protects the moisture and pliability of the leather - a thing to be considered in a semi-tropical climate. I admit I have been keeping my eye out for a black patent corc at a low enough price to snag as a backup. Though I treat bags gently, I would say that one gets more "tough wear" than any of the others because it is the bag I grab on rainy days.

Good idea. I always store them in a cover bag when not in use but haven't thought about when I use a bag a couple days in a row. They are stored away from light, but I think the dustcover protects the moisture and pliability of the leather - a thing to be considered in a semi-tropical climate. I admit I have been keeping my eye out for a black patent corc at a low enough price to snag as a backup. Though I treat bags gently, I would say that one gets more "tough wear" than any of the others because it is the bag I grab on rainy days.
There is one on Bonanzle for 150 OBO.

I have two Pilots and soon will have two Pomp's so yes, I guess I do have a backup. I loved my original Pilot so much that I was afraid it would wear out and then I'd be out of luck 5 or so years down the road so that's why I bought a backup.

Nope. I'm too fickle. There's always another bag out there somewhere, possibly even better! With my budget, I go for variety. I think the only thing I've ever bought a backup for is lipstick.

oh, if only I had money now, I would get me another Havana in Chalk - i carry it so much

I would say no in general, with this an an exception. I would be tempted if I ever saw another chalk havana at a reasonable price. It's the PERFECT leather for this style. I don't use mine very often b/c I'm scared to ruin it. Hmmm maybe I could actually put some protectant on it???? LOL